1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS has wrong location

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ozymandias, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did a search expecting to find an easy remedy to this problem, and was surprised to find nothing that could help me.

Sometimes we will drive on streets which aren't in the GPS database. When we do this the GPS goes berserk and it thinks the car is somewhere else, and it really doesn't ever correct itself. It's been like that for weeks now but since I never use that crappy GPS, I don't really bother with it. However, a relative just borrowed the car and got lost so I really want to figure out what is going on here. Last time this happened I actually had to go into a menu somewhere and manually tell the GPS where I was located. This seems pretty ridiculous as the whole purpose of a GPS is to tell me where I am, not for me to tell it where I am.

The short of it is, is there a way to reset the GPS so it can automatically figure out where I am again?

2. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This reinforces the reason I declined the Prius Navigation and prefer to use Waze on my mobile phone. Much more up to date AND it gives you a way to edit and correct maps.
    Allen

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could check that the GPS aerial is connected properly to the unit. If the GPS has acquired the requisite satellites, it should be able to plot it's position accurately. Even if it is driving on streets that "are not there."

hope this helps.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    another option would be to find someone who has an updated map... toss the disc in the car and see if that solves the problem.

I had a similar problem with garmin in my last car. I went off the map on a new road, but the gps caught up. giving me a high speed of 230 mph once it caught up...

5. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I bought my Prius, it was running the 9.1 map software. It was pretty horrible. Just about my entire town was just a blank white screen. I bought the updated 13.1 software disc off of eBay and now it shows everything and the gps is really accurate. The updates do make a difference.

6. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah my last map update is 2-3 years old, it's not that archaic. There is always new construction in our region and we have some friends who live in new neighborhoods, so "updating the map" isn't an adequate solution, unfortunately. I am definitely not going to pay more money to keep such a horrible system running. I'll check to see if it has satellite reception but it sounds like I may just need to manually re-adjust it.

7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sometimes the cd player gets dirty. ya need to blow some compressed air in there, too. and while you're at it check the disk for damage.

8. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius II NAV isn't that bad really......it's just....different from everything else - an acquired taste if you will. Yes, I updated my 2007 DVD maps to the latest version too - and it's been very accurate indeed.

Of course the ultimate test will be my next trip into a Milton Keynes Housing Estate. The last time I was there, I ended up staring at a blank spot on my NAV screen, where a sprawling housing estate stretched before me with myriad roads. Fortunately, my iPhone's Google Maps rescued me, with a pleasant voice giving me instruction over the cars speakers (Bluetooth connectivity).

However, so far, I've noticed that other places that seemed unavailable on the previous 2007 maps are now clearly visible in some degree of great detail - so methinks a large swathe of MK will definitely now feature on the 2014 NAV upgrade UK DVD.

I've stuck to using the Prius II NAV, despite it's perceived limitations (I'm okay navigating without postcodes, though there's no denying it's much faster punching those into a TomTom SATNAV). Why? Well, I actually embrace the quirkiness of the Prius II NAV. It's part of the Prius II experience - and I have to confess it actually fascinates me - it's kinda classic. Punching in my destination is a ritual that reminds me of a pilot punching in coordinates and waypoints into his aircraft's autopilot. The similarities are not lost on me at all. I think it's actually quite quaint in more ways than one.
    I love being able to switch views back and forth on the MFD using steering controls. The dual guidance screens that appear at critical moments are a boon - and as good as any other manufacturers offering, if not better in some cases.

I also appreciate the fact that the NAV really IS part of the vehicle, and not some tacky add-on attached precariously to the windscreen with cables strewn everywhere.

Lastly, I don't think I've heard of a single incident where someone broke into a Prius II to steal the built in NAV. :)

iPad ? HD

Britprius and *Goldfinger* like this.
  9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The gen2 does take post codes but not the last two digits. This I find slightly annoying but not so much that I want another system, I've just learned to live with it. It has always taken me to where I wish to go, and the ability to give voice commands to operate it really useful. I am still running the four disk European mapping that came with the car in 2008.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    When the GPS is working properly it should not care if you are on a road or not. If you are on a ferry it should show you being out in the middle of the water.

11. spookyfudge

spookyfudge Junior Member

Had similar issue on my 2005. I had under warrenty repair of having a new gps disc installed and unit reset. Issue corrected/