1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS Location Reset

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brock22, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Brock22

Brock22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2015 Prius(signup wouldn't let me choose that year??) that I had to replace the Radio/GPS (Model 86140-47060) Everything went fine and I upgraded the Software to Version 5.2.0 But I'm in St. Louis MO and it shows that I'm in Kansas. I've tired disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, unplugged the entire unit, reset all personal data. But I can not find ANYTHING on how to have the GPS refresh my location? I'm driving to California, so hoping when I go through Kansas or when the GPS thinks it's in the ocean it will reset!!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you hunt around the forum here for instructions to get into the infotainment diagnostic screens, there should be one showing you what GPS satellites are being received, and with what signal strength. Perhaps there is an antenna issue and it is not getting a good signal?

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Odds are great. Or that the GPS function is broken.

Setting a route and driving a bit should cause it to TELL you if it can't find the "birds".

4. Brock22

Brock22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good news, when I got near Kansas City, MO the GPS picked me up and is tracking. Will continue to monitor to see if it still tracks after passing through Kansas.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or will it maybe just say you're not in Kansas anymore?

6. Richard Pierce

Richard Pierce New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I upgraded my Prius radio to a stock HD/GPS radio that I bought off of Ebay. The swap was really easy once I got the dash apart. Everything went great until I turned the Nav on and saw that the maps were all stuck in the Chicago/Joliet area. I live in Dayton Ohio, so I was concerned that I'd just spent 200 bucks to for slightly better radio reception. I messed with it for 2 hours, but couldn't figure it out. Suddenly, about 5 hours later, I was on the highway and it just found the signal out of the blue. It now works just fine. I guess that if you have issues like the GPS indicator being grayed out, don't jump to conclusions that your antenna is bad, or needs to be outside of the car, or needs to be mounted on the dash. It doesn't. Just be patient. It'll start working, eventually.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I remember the earliest GPS receivers I had, if turned off and taken far from where they last thought they were, could take a long, long, long time to get a new fix. They would have the satellite orbits baked in and know just where to look for the satellites expected to be in view from the expected location at the present time, but then they would have to fall back and figure out which ones they were able to see at all anywhere, and then determine a new position from that.

I'm pretty sure at least one old Garmin I had offered a way to shortcut that process by entering rough coordinates as a starting guess.

We're not used to that delay anymore with cell phones, which rely on so much additional information like cell towers and wifi hotspots and get much faster fixes.