1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS units constantly stolen from vehicles in New York

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FloridaWen, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Word of this must have spread to hotels. I just checked in to a hotel in Long Island, NY and after asking me if I had a car, the woman told me to make sure to remove anything valuable such as a GPS unit.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't own one. If I'm going somewhere I'm not familiar with....I printout out mapquest directions. So far no one has stolen any of them.

3. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 20 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]465140[/snapback]</div>
    I have a hand held portable unit. It is the Magellan 2200T from Costco for $250. It fits beautifully on the shelf when you open the storage compartment under the Display. The unit stays in place stricly by friction, and has no movement when turning, stopping, backing up--nada. When you leave your car, take the unit and put it into the glove box. No evidence, nothing in sight. BTW, this new Magellan unit is really wonderful. It announces the NAME of the street before you turn, instead of saying: its 500 ft before the turn. It specifically says to stay on the left of the interstate 5 so that you do not go to the right and enter the interstate 405, when there is a Y in the fork of the road. Its the best unit I have seen for its price. One can carry it around and play music at picnics or at the beach, since there is a slot for an SD card. The display is bright. Menus are very intuitive and easy to access [not like the older Magellans]. Also, the power souce is so close, the hookup wires can be rolled up to just a small ball. Never the less, put that away when you leave the car parked.