1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured GPS use bad for your brain?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Mendel Leisk, May 17, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it depends on how you use GPS. If you're the type that just punches in addresses and follow it blindly without knowing exactly where your destination is, then yes I can see why it could make you a bit more forgetful (because you're not training your brain to remember turns and street names).

Like everything else in the vehicle associated with driving, it's meant as an assist. I usually check where the destination is in relation to me so I know what the general direction is. I also check what the streets are before the last turn so when I'm close, I can double check the instructions with reality (in case there are turn restrictions that the map doesn't know about).

But I do like it in foreign places. It helped with speed cameras when the stretch of road kept changing from 60km/h to 40km/h every few blocks and there were speed cameras 50-100m after the speed limit change. It also helps navigating some complex freeway interchanges with multiple ramps where one wrong turn will lead you 2-3km in the wrong direction before you can find a u-turn area (like a cloverleaf or an exit where you can pull over somewhere)