1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grammatical error abound in cyberspace - poor education or just plain laziness?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jadziasman, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also don't know why lead (as in "I lead a troop of Cub Scouts") doesn't rhyme with lead (as in "pump you full of lead"), nor why wind (as in "wind up a clock") doesn't rhyme with wind ("the wind cries Mary"). And then there is stuff to shine your shoes from Poland, or Polish polish.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, and there are some, to the uninitiated, that are confusing... like leads (in the context of wiring) or leading (relates to typography and printing).

Then, there are words that aren't pronounced like they're spelled such as colonel. Why isn't it kernel? Yeah yeah, I guess it's because it comes from French. They don't seem to pronounce a lot of the letters in their language.

There was also the idea that ghoti could be pronounced fish. :)

Going back to Full Metal Jacket... but totally OT, there was another classic quote "I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them." hyo silver, if you haven't seen Full Metal Jacket, you gotta watch it. :)

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "The wind cries Mary"? I thought it was "the breeze whispers Louise" Huh.

Full Metal Jacket? Yeah, I've seen it.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I led a troop of Cub Scouts. But where did you lead them to? That's a little bit ambiguous, isn't it?

I want to return my language and exchange it for another, can someone provide me a lead on this.

And, while we're on the subject.......LED ZEPPELIN. Keith Moon said Page and Plant would drop like one but they didn't want to spell it L-E-A-D because dumb Americans might misconstrue this as the first zeppelin in the pack. LOL!

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Spellcheckers contribute to the problem, I have no doubt.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The short version is the Great Vowel Shift along with ties to other languages incorporated into English. The long version takes a semester to work through.
    My favorite Linguistic Prof (the one I referenced previously) used to refer to the Great Vowel Shift as the Great Vowel Movement. Get it?

Here're some good pages I was able to quickly find:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/vangogh/555/Spell/vowelshift.htm
    The Great Vowel Shift

And here's a funny comic I found:
    [​IMG]

When I registered at the School of Ed, I had to declare a core. Since CompSci wasn't an option (I already had a CompSci degree) I had to choose something else. Choosing the lesser of the standard evils, I went with English and then found that I could specialize in English Language and Linguistics. The more I studied Linguistics with its Etymology and Dialectology the more fascinated I got. To this day I'm still interested in how language traveled around the world, sometimes morphing, sometimes taking over, sometimes disappearing altogether.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with you on etymology Tony, although not so much for its historical footprint as the view it gives into how we think, and understanding the paradox of which of thought or language came first (the answer obviously being iterative.) Etymology is also a basket of fascinating tales.

8. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously, I don't have the education or background to take part in this discussion. I still ponder the meaning of the word "is".

According to Bill:

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true.""It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."

I think this demonstrates how difficult it is to define a word - even a 2 letter word.

9. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think this is the problem right here. why would you (or anyone) try to apply the writing skills for technical reports to an internet car club? there's all sorts of writing styles for various areas, and they don't all have to be the same. for instance, writing for a technical manual is not the same as writing poetry, or writing a love letter, or writing a note to the teacher for your kid. I think we all need to come to grips with the fact that cyberspace is not like anything else, and we don't write in cyberspace the way we do for our job.

if anything, we are often in a hurry here to get a point across, or we are simply writing the way we hear ourselves speak. i think it's a falsehood to think that just because someone doesn't type with good grammar here it means they are incapable of doing it. we're here to relax and get away from the world, not to be policed in grammar.

haha how many of you remember how pissed icarus would get at me for not using capital letters? them there was some good times.

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Laziness, poor education, never having had to do it correctly started the trend of dumbing down our language, exacerbated by pubic figures who don't/can't speak or write well (Nukeular!).

All of that dwarfed by the rise of finger typing on cell phones. I myself just got an Ipad (whoo-hoo!) and find cleaning up the typing enough of a pain, that I sometimes don't! Shame on me!

It is sad to me that so many don't seem to know many of the basic rules of language. As Strunk and White suggest, write (and speak) any way you wish, but improving on the language is difficult, and I would add, you will be judged (by most educated folks) on more than your writing/posting/texting by the use of alternative language methods/spellings etc.

Icarus

PS. I plead very guilty to poor proofreading skills,,and laziness in doing it,, as my epitaph will state!

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Practice makes perfect. In either direction. Second, it seems reasonable to me to respect your readers and strive for clarity and reading enjoyment if you want a measure of influence or improved communication. On the other hand, if typing is your comfort and you do not care if the post is read or heeded or you just want to add to the noise then by all means write accordingly.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Part of the fun of our vacation was pointing out signage incongruities onboard the ship.

I wish I would have taken photos of the menus each night, for such gems as:
    "The chef prepares the entrees with the most interesting sidings". :huh:

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

The modern British accent seemed to be kicking in as America was being colonized and partially accounts for the difference in US/UK accents.

My guess is if America was settled about 100 yrs later we would have sounded a lot more like Aussies.

I'm not so sure it's an accident midway in the video she goes from Aussie to Texan.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is Middle English, but think I'm picking up accents in German, Irish, and Italian.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not all grammar nazis are pedantic. I often find bad grammar confusing and almost painful to read. To me it's like listening to someone sing off key, or looking at a really bad painting. If you enjoy language and communication, bad grammar is just plain uncomfortable.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  16. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm always confused by the weird rules regarding hyphen. Is it incorrect to place a space before a hyphen - like this, or should there be no space at all-like this?

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a difference between a hyphen and a dash. Even the dash comes in more than one variety. The common dash is the "M" dash, so named because it takes up the same space as a capital M.

Hyphens are used to split words and create compound words. A dash is used to connect related ideas in a sentence -- very much like what you do with a colon. Note that I simulated an M dash by using two hyphens. This is common since the M dash does not have a dedicated key on standard keyboards.

Normally there is a leading and trailing space with a dash, but not with a hyphen.

Tom

18. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ah, no wonder I'm confused! So the M dash sometimes is written with leading and trailing spaces, sometimes not. What does the rule book say?

Is there an M dash key on modern QWERTY keyboards, or is it a relic of the old typewriter past?

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When was said above about M-dashes was correct. However, assuming you only have one dash on your keyboard, the rule is this:

If you're using it as a comma or parentheses - like this - there's a space on either side.

If you have one word that's made up of two words - a two-word word if you will - there's no space on either side. You can string them along if you have a many-words-in-one-word thing going.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    M Dash —
    On a PC it's "ALT + 0151" on the numeric keypad. Hold the ALT key down while typing 0151