1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grand Canyon National Park

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Feb 22, 2019.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time.
    Distance.
    Shielding.

Of all the things in life that activate my sweat pumps, health effects from radiation exposure is rather far down on the list.
    Probably somewhere between rabid squirrel bite and being struck by blue ice.

Possible but not very likely at all.
    I suspect that my lifetime exposure is faaaaar less than frequent air travelers, and the 2 years and change of my life that I spent actually under water probably resulted in a diminution of that quantity.

Either way....it's getting smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror.

@ Grand Canyon.
    Been there once.
    I did, almost literally, the Griswold tour the last time.

I was good for a check mark on the BTDT list, but I'm itching to go back for a more proper.....ah......"exposure."

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am partial to Yellowstone but I must get out to Grand Canyon

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yellowstone was first National Park like place, before that concept was codified. It has a variety of great features and deserves its own cheerleader around here. Nominations are open...

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yellowstone's 3 volcanic super eruptions together launched about 1000 cubic miles of volcanic ash. This is a difficult volume to imagine, but Grand Canyon helps with that. Latter hole in the ground represents about 2500 cubic miles of material that has been sent downstream.

(edit) Mt Saint Helens ash emission, which people were around to see, was about 1/4 of a cubic mile.

#25 tochatihu, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we are doing Bryce and Zion next month...Nat Park Foundation has become my favorite charity to give to in recent years

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In March/April eh? Bring warm clothes. Bring binoculars. Bring alarm clock and let early hours not pass you by.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Those who’ve gone to bottom of Grand Canyon, or floated through it, know something about the Colorado River. It is dammed upstream and has a daily flow cycle, based on (hydro) electricity demand. Here is latest year of flow:

USGS.09402500.6290.00060..20180219.20190226.log.0..pres.gif.png

Those blurs are daily cycles and also see seasonal variation in demand. Singular large spike is one of about 6 that have happened in recent decades, intended to make river channel better resemble pre-dam times when flow could be just about anything. Those would be interesting to observe in person.

There’s more of course. It is joined upstream by the Little Colorado River which has no dam. When its flow is high it creates a waterfall worthy of note:

Grand Falls – Leupp, Arizona - Atlas Obscura

Its year of flow looks like this:

USGS.09400350.6244.00060..20180219.20190226.log.0..pres.gif.png

So, about 5 times last year it resembled those atlasobscura photos.

==
    Where I’d wish to go with this is water flow through Grand Canyon during its few million years of rapid down cutting. How much water does it take to wreck 2500 cubic miles of rocks and export them? But there is no data. In early 20th century wet years before river dams, annual average flow reached 30 thousand cubic feet per second (compare 40 thousand cfs peak above) and peaks could easily have been 10 times higher then. Yet latter is mostly speculation. Technology to measure water flow came in as dam building did, so we know few details of how earth’s impressive canyons have been cut by water.

None more impressive than this one, and it’s all touristed and trailed up for your enjoyment. Do go take a look and stretch your thoughts.

==
    Best canyon in solar system, along with best mountain, are both on Mars. Along with worst access and tourist facilities. Yelp.