1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Graphics of average fuel economy vs speed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by FrankTiger, May 26, 2010.

1. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Everyone

I am collecting OBD data from my Prius using an ELM327 Bluetooth connected to a Pocket PC (HTC HD) running OBDGauge freeware.

My Prius is a 2010 European version loaded with every available option but LKA, which is not available in my country.

In this post I will show you a graphic of the average Prius Fuel Economy versus Vehicle Speed.

This curve comes from 104248 records collected in more than 30 hours of "ready" state.

For every single speed value I have computed the average fuel economy of hundreds of records. The number of records is very high below 100Km/h (60mph) but goes down very fast for higher speeds, because I usually do not speed.

In the graphics I used the internal Prius speed that comes from the CanBus which is 2% lower than the GPS speed and 3-6mph lower than the speed shown on the dashboard.

These 104K records come from highways, city traffic, accelerations, deccelerations, stepped up and down roads, etc. Almost every situation is recorded here. Those runs are not scientifically controlled nor data is normalized, but probably gives more useful information about fuel economy for the private Prius driver than the EPA figures.

Those records are taken in 1317Km (818miles) and my Prius used 56.6liters (15gallons). The average fuel economy was 4.18l/100 (56.3mpg) when the car was moving; but taken into account the 10 hours and 40 minutes that the car was standing and the 1.57liters (0.4gallons) used we obtain 4.30l/100 (54.7mpg). The average moving speed was 45.5Km/h (28.3mph) and taken into consideration the standing time, the average speed was 33.3Km/h (20.7mph).

The Graphics is this one:

See attachments in US units and metric units

(This my first post and I am not allowed to link to the graphics)

On the left vertical axis is the fuel economy corresponding to the Pink curve. On the right vertical axis are the number of records computed for the average speed corresponding to the light green dots.

You may notice some sawtooth on the pink curve around 50, 90 and 95Km/h. This effect is caused by the cruise control that I usually set at dashboard speeds of 55, 95 and 100Km/h. If the Prius goes below the preset speed, It demands more power from the ICE and vice versa, if the car is above the preset speed, it shuts down the fuel injection. That is the reason that at 48Km/h (30mph) the fuel economy is 4.83l/100 (48.7mpg) and at 51Km/h (31.7mph) the fuel economy is 3.57l/100 (65.9mpg)

I hope this is interesting to some of you

Big hugs from Frank

Originally posted in the Spanish Prius forum: mitoyotaprius.mforos-com/1728104/9608332-velocidad-y-consumo-instantaneo/#85266723

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks! You're headed in an interesting area that I've started moving towards. I'm using the Auto Enginuity package. But last year, I used fixed benchmarks to generate these graphs:
    [​IMG]

Also,
    [​IMG]

I've got some data at home I'm planning to reduce so we'll have something to compare.

Since you are new to this forum, you might want to try putting some of the data in a table:

• Use the "[" and "]" to identify the keywords
    • Use "table" to begin a table
    • For the first row with headers, use "|" to separate the titles
    • For all subsequent rows, separate data with "|"
    • Last row ends with "/table" between the "[" and "]"
    One thing, how do you normalize the temperature and road grade for the different samples? I get the impression these are collections of many small samples over time intervals measured in months or even a year, right?

The reason I ask is we know temperature and road conditions can have a substantial impact on vehicle mileage. Also, small samples can easily suffer from unexpected bias. Understand, I applaud your initiative but want to understand more about your data and how temperature and road conditions are 'held constant.'

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  3. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Bob and thanks for your comments

We are using two different approaches to determine the relation of Fuel Economy with Speed.

It seems that you try to establish the fuel economy for every speed with no acceleration, on a level road and have the same temperature for all speeds.

I am trying a much simpler way to compute the fuel economy graphic, by calculating the average fuel economy for each single speed of thousands of records and including all conditions: accelerations, brakings, road level, climbs, descents, cold starts, warm starts, etc. However, I usually do not use heating or defrosting, and due to the mild outside temperatures, all these data are taken with no air conditioning.

I use the ELM327 to record round trips around my home. Data is captured every second so I am confident the data is not biased, as there are the same number of points when accelerating or braking; and climbing or descending.

Obviously your graph and mine will be different; however I will expect that the “center of gravity†of both plots will be around the same place.

There are curious things in my plot. For example, at very low speeds, 9 Km/h (5.6mph) there is a maximum fuel economy of 117mpg (2.0l/100) averaged of 1313 different records but at 16Km/h (10mph) the fuel economy is “only†71.6mpg (3.3l/100) averaged of 1345 records. That should not occur by engineering laws for the ICE alone and your plot for those speeds will be almost flat. The only explanation for the shape of my plot may come from the different use of MG1/MG2 made by the HSD control to accelerate the car at those speeds and the shutdown of the ICE when braking or maintaining speed.

You can find the table with data in:

spreadsheets.google-com/ccc?key=0AngnL2rAtZQRdGNGRVFHUGNDbUNiQkZ2ZGtZZG1tMnc&hl=es

(add http at the beginning; and change -com for .com to activate the link)

Big hugs from Frank

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct as this comes from my days as a private pilot. We needed such charts to calculate the fuel consumption as a function of speed to determine our range. When flying, it is important to reach the destination airport with enough fuel reserve to land.

In cross country driving, this type of chart allows us to make decisions on how much fuel will be burned. As a general rule, such driving does not include a lot of inertial losses, the acceleration and decelleration.
    I have to think about this for a bit. My charts are aimed at trip planning where warm-up and inertial fuel costs to reach cruise speed are a very small fraction of the fuel burn. I don't see how your chart provides the information to make similar planning decisions BUT these charts are new to me. I don't have a good model of their use.

I noticed that and wanted to share some work I'd done with the NHW11 Prius:
    [​IMG]
    This chart uses the vehicle drag formula to calculate the energy needed to sustain any given speed. Then we add the vehicle overhead, a fixed amount needed to run the computers, lights and other electrical loads. At lower speeds, the fixed overhead predominates eventually reaching the least efficient speed, the car turned on and not moving.

I suspect if you gathered data from several hours at a very low speed, 5 mph (8 km/h), you would capture not only the highly efficient electric modes but also the fuel consumed to run and charge the traction batteries. Ordinarily we spend very little of our time at such slow speeds, which means the energy needed by the vehicle at the slow speeds from multiple samples, is hidden in the higher speed samples.

Thanks, I'll take a look later. I've made an assumption you are using just the fuel burn to calculate the mileage and do not have the traction battery energy flow, the total energy flow.

This is an interesting approach and once I have a chance to deal with some of my Auto Enginuity data, it may help us understand the utility of this approach. I'm not skeptical as much trying to wrap my head around the data approach and its utility.

LATE THOUGHT:

Thank you for providing SAE units in the second chart. I'm humbled to have not provided metric for my data . . . well time to do the right thing. What I noticed is your chart above ~60 mph begins to match my data, which makes sense. At higher speeds, our Prius is working in 'gas engine' mode without significant energy flows to and from the traction battery.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Frank,

I made a metric version of this chart but even using SAE units, it illustrates the challenge of calculating MPG vs MPH graphs:
    [​IMG]
    The "blue" line is the engine coolant temperature and the "red" line is the speed on this trip. All data was recorded with an Auto Enginuity then I used the MPH and Mass Air Flow (gm/s) to calculate the mileage in these ways:

• solid green line - is the average of the total miles to that point divided by the total fuel consumed at that point. This chart shows the warm-up penalty we pay everytime we first start the car. With the engine coolant, we can see that engine efficiency is a strong function of coolant temperature.
    • small green diamonds - are the miles per gallon calculated between every two sets of observations. It is the instantaneous MPG.
    • orange line - is what happens to a trip meter that is reset after achieving a constant speed on a flat or known route. It works by accumulating the distance divided by the MPG and always ends with the average MPG from when it was reset.
    • purple line benchmark - is the difference in distance between two time intervals divided by the difference in fuel consumed between the two time intervals.
    One thing this chart shows is the distortions from:

1. warm-up overhead - the engine coolant really needs to reach a steady state before the engine efficiency steadies out. During warm-up, there is too much variability in fuel consumption to come up with reproducible results.
    2. inertial overhead - acceleration and even decelleration badly distort the mileage. So too can ascending or descending hills (not shown.) Although we can use Newton's Laws to explain and model them, as individual observations, it is hard to make any use of them.
    If you have the engine coolant, velocity, and altitude data, you might trim out data point outside of warm-up, steady-state, level ranges and then your mph vs MPH should come closer to what I would expect to see. . . . just a thought. This is by the way I intend to use Auto Enginuity data to plot more detailed mph vs MPH charts. However, I really want the traction battery current and voltage to handle vehicle overhead and deal with hybrid modes, speeds under 42-46 mph.

Here is the metric version:
    [​IMG]

I took the same data and using just the instantaneous fuel consumption rate, sorted the data and calculated an average fuel consumption rate to generate this chart:
    [​IMG]
    NOTE: single entry and zero entries were trimmed out. Also, I rounded the km/h to the nearest value although it wasn't technically required.

Bob Wilson

6. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Bob

I am really happy to share with you what I find with the OBD data. I told you in my previous post that my approach to calculate the fuel economy is completely different to yours. I use statistical data of thousands of records to calculate the average of all of them. The main reason is that I do not have a suitable road to perform a lab test run or close to it. The highways around my town are usually crowded when I drive and there are just a few level enough to freeze fuel consumption data. Therefore I record all my driving and compute the fuel economy average at every speed.

But there is something that I can compute very accurately, at lest on a test run, and is the warming fuel consumption. I can even identify the warming stages given by ken1784 in the following thread: priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-technical-discussion/76501-gen3-warming-up-stages.html
    I made the computations in a short city traffic test run (2.2miles) in which my car burned 0.666 gallons of gasoline. Please take a look at the graphics below. One of them has the raw data with 9 parameters taken straight from OBD data (all metric)

On the second set of graphics there is a calculation of the gasoline burned the same way that you do, using MAF, but adjusting to zero when the short term fuel trim is below -5 and calculated load value is less than 50% to compensate for injection shut down during decelerations. The fuel burned is then mixed to the distance to compute the fuel economy since start.

Big hugs from Frank

Attached Files:

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is good, how collaboration works. There aren't very many who take the time to record the data. However, I need mph vs MPG data to estimate fuel burn for cross country trips.
    One thing I don't understand are the vehicle motions prior to ~06:15. I assume those are minutes:seconds? My North American ZVW30 starts the engine within ~15-20 seconds. It is not unusual to find European and Japanese Prius have different control laws. Is a delayed engine start measuring minutes common or was EV or something else used to suppress starting the engine?
    I used a simpler technique. I sorted the MAF data and found the lower limit of valid MAF values. I then used a formula to exclude these samples.

Bob Wilson

8. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, those are minutes:seconds and
    Yes, I used EV button to delay ICE start

I usually push EV in every start and try to keep in EV mode (below 35Kmph, around 17mph on the dashboard) until I am sure I can gently go over 55Kmph, 34mph. Over that speed the ICE starts and is then used to move the car, rather than to warm the catalyzer.

I assume you exclude raw (metric g/s) MAF values 1, 2 and 3 but I am not sure this is accurate enough in long downslopes. There is a 1,5 mile downslope around my home where I drive at 55mph with no throttle pedal pressure and the ICE stabilizes at 990RPM, 52% calculated load value, 16% throttle position and 3 g/s MAF. When I match the fuel economy shown in the dashboard at the end of the trip with my calculations, I have to take into account those MAF values of 3 g/s to compute the fuel flow (0.28ml/sec or 0.74e-5 gal/sec)

By the way I am happy to hear that you are a pilot. I am very familiar with the aviation world since the 80's when I worked for an airplane manufacturer in the northwest (easy).

Big hugs from Frank

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting use of EV button. I tend to approach the house on flat land, at low speed, to use the traction battery to reach home at a low state of charge. My traction battery seldom has enough charge to run in EV mode upon first start in the morning.

You may have the data to answer some questions I have:

• What is ending trip MPG versus time duration of trip? Two lines, one at starting ~20C versus a higher temperature (aka., warmed up.)
    • Similar to above, what is ending trip MPG versus distance of trip?
    We both see a significant impact when the engine first comes on. However, as the vehicle warms up, the mileage improves. It would be great to know the range of "short trips' that are in the high fuel consumption range. For example, trips shorter than ~5-6 miles (8-10 km) appear to be very poor mileage trips. But if the trip is longer, the fuel efficiency significantly improves.

Bob Wilson

10. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Everyone

Please see next post with the full size graphic. This was my fifth post and I couldnot upload the full size one.

Big hugs from Frank

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Everyone

I am still collecting ELM327 data in my car and now I have more than a million records for 6600 miles (10627Km) driven.

The actual graphic of fuel economy is close to the original one that I posted in may. Since then I have figured out when the fuel injection is suspended and the ICE is running so the fuel consuption is none, although the rpm and air intake mass figures are not zero. Also I have smoothed out the fuel economy curve.

[​IMG]

I must tell that the speed readings are internal Prius speed, that in my european specs Prius is about 5 miles lower than the speed shown in the dashboard. The fuel economy of the graphic is similar to the fuel economy shown in the dashboard, which is 7% higher than the actual fuel economy measured at the fuel pump.

You can see that fuel economy is above 50mpg most of the time below 66mph and the top fuel economy is 64mpg at 56mph.

Big hugs from Frank

2 people like this.
  12. mite66

mite66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good work again Frank, would it be possible to get the metric version as well ?

:hail: Many thanks for your work and your time.

13. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi mite66

Sure! Here it is:

[​IMG]

Hugs from Frank

14. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I notice a few interesting anomalies in this data; for example, 54 mph/87 kph (and to a lesser extent, 88 kph) is a bit of an outlier, with ~25% more readings than the surrounding data points. This tells me that you probably drive with cruise control set to 54-55 (or you might stay at that speed manually). Looking at the wiggles in the fuel economy curve there, you'll notice that the FE goes up as you pass 54 mph, and dips down just below that speed. This is an artifact of having a set speed - when you're at 53 mph, you're typically accelerating, and you get worse fuel economy. When you're at 55, you're usually coasting, and you get better fuel economy.

I'd bet there are other wiggles in this graph that are similarly explained - such as the dip in both sample count and FE around 36 mph/58 kph; I'm guessing you don't go that speed often, except when you're either speeding up or slowing down, and the repeated acceleration through that point probably causes that 8 mpg wiggle in the curve.

Just something to keep in mind as you look at the data here...

15. FrankTiger

FrankTiger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi macman408

I fully agree with you. In fact I wrote this in my first post:

Which is very close to what you say.

Hugs from Frank

16. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Gotcha, I didn't realize the thread was that old, and completely missed the beginning of it when I hit the "view first unread" link. :)

17. Jose Luis Antezana

Jose Luis Antezana New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello Frank:
    I've read your post regarding fuel consumption.
    I would like to ask you if you have the following info:
    In a distance of 100 Km what will be the consumption of a 2.4L; 4 cyl.; gasoline engine in the followin speeds:

From 0 to 50 Km/h
    from 50 to 90 Km/h
    from 90 to 120 Km/h
    and ...at more than 120 Km/h.

Will wait for your comments.

Best regards...

Jose Luis

18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you realize you are replying to a post from over 6 years ago?
    This is a very old thread.