1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grass-fed beef spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by chogan, Dec 14, 2006.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Dec 18 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]363833[/snapback]</div>
    It can also be used as a high quality fertilizer (better than if you used unprocessed pooh). In that case there would be more GHG savings if this stuff were displacing traditional (i.e fossil based) fertilizers. It never ends :p . I suppose this is why it's so hard to come up with accurate energy balance calculations for things like ethanol. Where do you stop counting? It's interesting none-the-less and really illuminates how interconnected everything is.

So what about grass-fed cattle where the cattle are equipped with poo collectors that allow the manure to be easily harvested and applied in the same way?

2. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    In a well-run grass farm, the cow manure in the pastures is scattered by chickens and becomes the fertilizer for the grass. This is described enthrallingly (really!) in The Omnivore's Dilemma.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Dec 18 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]363969[/snapback]</div>

3. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lbligh @ Dec 18 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]363981[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there you have it.

4. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 18 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]363840[/snapback]</div>
    My apology, thought you were disagreeing without checking the facts. I'm no particular fan of grocery-store organic foods myself. Thought the Consumer Reports article was useful -- showing where it might and might not be worthwhile to buy organic.

On an unrelated note, I've been trying to validate the calculation based on US aggregates from the national income and product accounts, and yeah, it looks like I can get pretty close. If I aggregate energy purchases by sector for farm and food production, plus a pro-rata share of wholesale, retail, and transportation (with share based on fraction of retail sales attributable to food), take that total spending as a fraction of total US energy consumption, then divide by estimated total US diet calories, I end up with an average of 8.5 fossil-fuel calories used to produce and deliver every diet calorie. That's well within the range of published estimates based on a bottom-up "accounting" approach. So, as nutty as it sounds, it appears that the average Prius driver consumes about as much fossil fuel in diet as in driving.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    anyone have any hard data on a bio-gas project?? it was tried here a few years back but failed miserably. the smell could not be controlled and eventually public outcry ended the project at a HUGE cost financially and energy-wise (we now truck all our garbage to another county)

this was despite the fact that the system used was supposed to control odors and what not. but it was tried for several years before it was finally abandoned. it was at the county dump where the project was being attempted. granted, the dump would have reached capacity in another 10 years if allowed to continue anyway but that would have been another 10 years of NOT shuffling garbage at more than twice the distance at a substantial cost.

6. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 19 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]364156[/snapback]</div>
    Dave,

Goto Renewable Energy Access and type "landfill waste" into the search box in the upper right. There are several examples that will come up for you.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 19 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]364156[/snapback]</div>

The waste managment facility near me does methane reclaimation. I don't have any hard specific numbers and in the middle of moving so I don't have time to look now but here is a link.

http://www.wpwma.com/landfill.html

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Dec 21 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]365384[/snapback]</div>
    wow... must be nice~!!... i dont mean the methane recovery system. we had much the same thing but it simply did not work. spent years trying to figure out the problems but simply couldnt control the odor issues

what is impressive to me is FREE electronic device disposal?? wow... didnt think anyone offered that. we also have free hazardous waste disposal... there is a limit, but its more than generous something like 5 gallons of waste oil per month (i used to drop off about 5 gallons per YEAR)

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 21 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]365439[/snapback]</div>

Its actually not a bad system. We did a field trip there with my college and I've been there many times dropping off my own waste (which I am seriously trying to reduce). The one aspect i did not like was the sorting aisles. The sorting was done by mexicans and half were not wearing appropriate respiration gear. The area has a lot of airborn particles as was evident by the accumulation on the railings and floor. When I inquired about it the guide said that they "try" to enforce rules on safety gear but many barely speak english and simply remove the masks when no one is looking. *shrug* I hope they explain WHY the safety gear is supposed to be used and not simply say its a rule.

10. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Dec 16 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]363302[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't reposted this but instead have sporadically been trying to confirm the numbers.

This recent NY Times editorial:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/27/opinion/...&ei=5087%0A

says this, in references to a recent UN report on the issue:

"Consider these numbers. Global livestock grazing and feed production use “30 percent of the land surface of the planet.†Livestock — which consume more food than they yield — also compete directly with humans for water. And the drive to expand grazing land destroys more biologically sensitive terrain, rain forests especially, than anything else.

But what is even more striking, and alarming, is that livestock are responsible for about 18 percent of the global warming effect, more than transportation’s contribution. The culprits are methane — the natural result of bovine digestion — and the nitrogen emitted by manure. Deforestation of grazing land adds to the effect."

Not sure you'd be able to access the NY times piece without signing up.

So, if this is correct, then in fact diet has a greater impact on global warming than transportation, at least for the world as a whole, if not specifically for the US. That's what I found for my family -- total energy use for diet far exceeded to gasoline purchases. And three-quarters of the diet fossil fuel use was for animal-based proteins.

I think I'll post the UN report as a separate thread.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    grass fed beef is the #1 cause of deforestation of the amazon river basin...

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 28 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]367676[/snapback]</div>

If you are buying grassfed beef from Brazil then you are doing it wrong anyway because of the fuel used to get it here becomes a wash. Buy and eat local or find something else to eat is the general rule. IE, don't eat bananas.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i am buying organic cows from a farm in Tenino, WA and its about 15 miles away and i pick it up with my SO's dad who is going halfies with me on it.

as far as bananas go, its unfortunate that they dont come from an area that is local to me, but banana farming does not encourage deforestation and their undeniable health benefits are hard to beat with any other fruit. so i will continue helping to make the banana the #1 fruit in the world.

14. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 28 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]367676[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't clear about this, but I'm talking about the benefits of locally-grown US grass fed beef. There's good evidence that you are completely correct about the impact of this in other countries.

On the issue of land use, I had a chance to talk to the farmer who raised the beef we bought, about the economics of grass-fed versus feedlot beef. I basically said that with everything that's required to get feedlot beef to market, you'd think farmers could get ahead doing grass-finished beef rather than raising for the feedlots. (I was trying to get a feel for the economics of production.) And his response was that it all came down to the price of land. In the US, it requires a lot of cheap, productive grazing land to make grass-fed beef an economically viable alternative to feedlot beef. So, even here, it's a land-use/land cost issue.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    land prices and the associated taxes that goes with it is a HUGE issue in my area because of the rapid growth of the area.

in Michael Pollen's book though, there is a built-in deterrent to small local organic beef producers (this is the only way it can realistically be done and benefit both farmer and consumer by reducing transportation costs) and that deterrent is the FDA.

the regulations they put on the slaughter of beef basically adds over $1 per pound to a small business cost since they must essentially send it to a regular slaughter house and cannot do it themselves.