1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grating Sound when Gas Engine is used, help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BlueEars, Aug 10, 2021.

1. BlueEars

BlueEars New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CD074680-7136-4F31-87B6-16EC837857EC.jpeg 03D32FF3-F81F-4E22-80BB-0CEE91B7C6FB.jpeg C43E0B77-93FB-44D9-B223-BE4ED0E1F186.jpeg 18208F29-A6D5-423D-A405-99BE2DA63915.jpeg 3E03DE0B-4BDF-4B49-93F3-C65C51E5D141.jpeg 93E3E9F8-2863-452A-9CA8-C31F95BD2138.jpeg TL DR: the black plastic shield under the front bumper and front passenger side fell off while driving and I ran over it. A few weeks later the car makes a grinding noise that turns into a grating noise whenever the gas engine is engaged. Is it safe to drive it to the mechanic? What could be wrong?

Background info: I have a 2011 Prius hatchback (regular trim) with 179k miles on it. Bought it used at 171k in March 2020. Then we WFH’d so I didn’t drive it much. I had the engine oil changed twice according to schedule, replaced the 12V battery, and replaced the strut assembly, PCV part and a leaking bearing on the driver’s side. Dealer diagnosis came out clean.

On 7/10/2021 I was going 50 mph on a freeway when the black plastic shield (splash guard?) that is under the front passenger side began dragging on the ground. I pulled over, saw the piece hanging and taped it up to the bumper. It was just the passenger side, cracked. It held and I went on my way. I usually drive in the city, so max 25mph and usually slower because of traffic. When I do go on the freeway I usually go 45mph-55mph. The tape would sometimes come off but the plastic didn’t drag again. I noticed at higher speeds it was more likely to fall and drag.

On 8/3/2021, I was driving on the highway going 55mph when I heard a loud ripping crunch and bumpiness as I drove over it. I saw a huge L shaped piece of black plastic piece in my back mirror and couldn’t stop to pick it up. When I got home I saw the dangly piece I had taped up had fallen out (probably because of the wind/speed) and I ran over it. I heard the loud noise in the center of the car as I ran over and was worried I knocked anything out of its place, but there was no noise, no lights on the dash.

Suddenly on 8/9/2023, as I started the car and pulled out of my parking spot I heard a grinding/squeak from my tire axles and later the car just started sputtering. As I pressed the gas pedal the sputtering turned into a grating noise. I thought either a rock got in there and was continuously hitting something.

When i drive using the big battery or coast (no gas pedal) there is absolutely no noise. The tire axles never made another squeak. Its only when the gas engine is engaged (whether the car is in Park mode or running) that I hear the noise. At first it reminded me of priuses with their cats stolen. It was super loud.

What do you think is the issue? I have to take it to the mechanic but I’m afraid driving over there will damage the car even more, as its a 30 minute drive. Also, sometimes the sound disappears. When i turned the AC on there was no grinding. But later when I tried the same trick it didn’t work. So it really comes and goes, but is just too loud for me to ignore. Should I have it towed?

attaching pics and a video.

2. BlueEars

BlueEars New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also I forgot to add, what is the black plastic shield piece called? I wanted to look it up to order online. Ah im trying to upload the video but it wont let me use a link…

3. BlueEars

BlueEars New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the video with sound while the car is parked.

4. BlueEars

BlueEars New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And here is a later video. In the beginning there is no noise as its running on EV but at 0:08 you can hear the rumbling start. Windows are up and it is very loud. Please excuse our conversation as this is from my dash cam lol.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Possibly a head gasket failure. Check the coolant reservoir on the passenger side of the engine for low coolant. Its a serious issue deserving a trip to the dealer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. BlueEars

BlueEars New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How could you tell its the head gasket? From the sound? The coolant is not low, but I am taking it in to the dealer today. Thanks for reply!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not positive, some call it an aerocover

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tough to tell from the recording, maybe an exhaust leak

9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The noise is familiar and sounds like a head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinder. Very common on higher mileage 2010-14 Prius engines. The coolant in a cylinder causes a severe misfire that goes away after a few seconds. Often without a noticeable drop of coolant at first as exhaust gases get into the coolant at the same time. Since the engine stops at lights and anytime you are not moving, the rattle can happen again as you take off and the engine starts again.

While many will say replace plugs, injectors and coils or maybe clean your egr, if it is a head gasket those things are just unnecessary expenses at this point. Sometimes changing plugs helps for a day or a week but it is not a head gasket solution.

Getting it diagnosed promptly could save the engine.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the noise emanating from the engine:

Leak-down test. It's more-n likely head gasket going, more'n likely at cylinder one or two. Very likely due to overdue Exhaust Gas Recirculation circuit and intake manifold cleaning. Toyota doesn't want to know, but that's how it is.

For the pieces slow-but-sure disconnecting from your car, this:

And then this:

Your procrastination Is the problem. Addressed immediately, it would have cost you the price of a few fasteners, and a bit of time learning what's under there. With various panels by the side of road, it gets pricier.

11. BlueEars

BlueEars New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone thanks for your input. I took it to the toyota dealership 10 days ago and they're releasing the car to me today citing that they couldn't recreate the noise for the 2nd time (meaning initially they heard it). This is so frustrating not being able to move forward with a repair.

#11 BlueEars, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You need to have it tested for a head gasket leak. The sound you recorded points right at it. The fact that it does not happen everytime and not on ev is consistent and further narrows it down.

I think your dealer knows what it is (at least their mechanics do) but won't do a head gasket alone. They usually want to do a replacement engine to be sure or better yet sell you a new car because their price for an engine is way too high. They would give you a token amount for trade in and send it to auction.

Find someone who can do a borescope through the sparkplug openings which allows them to look for a cleaner cylinder caused by the coolant. Then shop for the best fix, eg a mechanic that has done this kind of repair, ideally on a Prius from 2010-2015. If the final diagnosis is head gasket after testing, a gasket repair can be attempted. They have to tear the engine down and inspect for further damage in the process. In some areas a head gasket repair might be $2k but an engine at a dealer could be $7.5k.

#12 rjparker, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  13. BlueEars

BlueEars New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Understood, and thank you for the advice/information. To everyone who replied - this has been so helpful as I've been getting nowhere IRL. I've relayed this thread and info to my usual mechanic as well as the dealer's master mechanic, but I guess hearing it from a young female's mouth about 'internet information' won't ever be taken seriously. I'm gonna have to shop for a new mechanic, and/or consider the car a loss to tinker around with rather than drive. If anyone knows anybody (or even hobbyist) in NYC/NJ, feel free to let me know!

And once I do get an answer/diagnosis I'll update the thread for posterity!