1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great Britain Fades to Black

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Apr 3, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 4 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]417565[/snapback]</div>
    1. so why are you not in favor of it now?
    3. you underestimate russia my friend big time. China a little worse - come on.
    4. dont put words into my mouth - i like helping even though we get NO credit for it. name the last time the EU sent its navy to help someone or prevented genocide??
    6. check the size of the chinese economy vs. the US of A - you will be surprised -also the rate of growth. The EU is NOT more stable and actually is a house of cards waiting to go boom; their rate of growth, their productivity, the employment rates are disasters.
    8. why are there more opportunities here? i think you should let people judge happiness for themselves.

i dont hate GB - i think its a shame that they are fading away into histories dust bin - but so be it. i am sad that their marines acted more like women than men. i am sad that they have obviously become a NON-entity on the worlds stage. i hope that argentina does not invade the falklands again - i would if i were them in three or four years it will be a no brainer if it is not already- because it will show how impotent GB has become.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 4 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]417593[/snapback]</div>
    Blair didn't "give Iran 2 days" - he said the next two days would be a critical phase of the talks with Iran. He also stated at the time that he "was not looking for a confrontation". This is the result of diplomacy and international cooperation, not military strength. Most likely, they are being released due to the softening position on the Iranian prisoners in Iraq - some back-channels negotiating probably went on between Britain and the US for that.

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 4 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]417604[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed- it was in the news today that the US is "considering" giving Iranian officials access to the five captured Iranians. I think that there will be an announcement in the next few days that they will be released (although I'm sure that there will be no official tie-in to the release of the British sailors). That's how these things generally play out- the official pronouncements from both sides that allow each side to save face while the negotiations go back-channel. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed here. I don't think that there was any serious doubt that the sailors were going to be released.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 4 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]417626[/snapback]</div>
    cooler heads had to prevail since GB had no other options. i wonder what they gave up - time will tell how much pride they have left after what they had to swallow today - not they had much more to give up.

soon they will have to use row boats to ferry troops :lol:

5. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "what they had to swallow"?

Did you not actually read what happened? Best case Iran simply gave in to GB and returned the soldiers. Worse case, it shows that GB is willing to work with other countries to come to a solution satisfactory to all parties, instead of going in guns blazing.

GB didn't "give up" anything in this exchange, and in fact i'd say they even gained international political and diplomatic power

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I understand from the pundits they gave up little or nothing but had their world-wide diplomats calling in 'chits' with other countries in the region and in Europe to put pressure on Iran to end the stand-off. Clearly any military actions would have further destablized the region doing absolutely no one, but the terrorists/extremists looking for a weakened nation and desperate populace upon which they could take advantage and gain control.

Let me be clear, I think it's unfortunate that the hostages made the statements that they made. But not being there. Not knowing the circumstances. And not having ever been in a similar situation I'm not going to be judgemental.

In my mind it makes so much more sense to train soldiers to always say whatever their captors tell them to say. Make it clear that the soldiers are being trained that way. Let them say anything...then no one will every believe they're saying it b/c they believe it. Eventually the tactic of having the captives make statements like that completely loses any effectiveness. I'm NOT saying that's what these soldiers were taught, just that I think that strategy makes sense.

7. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 4 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]417727[/snapback]</div>
    This is what everything boils down to for you isn't it? PRIDE. You casually pass judgement on these UK soldiers. You refer to them as "cowards" and compare them to "women" (whatever that means- actually, I know exactly what you are getting at, but this backwards mentality is a topic for another discussion altogether). Tell me, have you ever been in a situation where you were captured by foreign forces? Didn't think so. You are waaay out of line bashing these sailors.

I am not even going to waste my time arguing whether or not GB is fading away, as you already have your mind made up and are just looking for a fight (as usual). I generally consider myself a fairly conservative person, but your veiws on nearly any topic would paint someone of my disposition of an extreme liberal, which I most certainly am not. Your responses to any problem are never even remotely tempered. I am not trying to attack you personally, but you paint anyone who disagrees with you as a "liberal" and dismiss any idea they put forth with the same canned response of "good = evil, evil = good." There is no hope of rational discourse.

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ewhanley @ Apr 4 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]417776[/snapback]</div>
    I have voted GOP in every election since 1976. In the 2006 election I did something that I never thought I could do - vote straight Democrat. It's a protest vote, and at this point doubt I'll vote Democrat on the Presidential level in 2008.

Without getting into the gory details, Texas state politics got more extreme after GWB became President. Who alienated me the most was a former State Comptroller that talked about as diplopatically as dbermanmd...before running for Govenor as an independent courting Democrats after going to the right of the Austin Republicans backfired.

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    dbermanmd's just upset because he wanted some dead Iranians. Never mind whether or not it actually helps the captured troops, he just wanted an excuse for killing more foreigners. Much like 9/11 and Iraq - some Saudis flew a plane into a building? Cool! Let's bomb some Iraqis!

Shooting some Iranians, wouldn't achieve anything - it's just killing for the sake of killing. Much like the US torture chambers - it's just torture for the sake of torture. Makes people like dberman feel better about themselves. A demonstration that "their side" is more powerful. Some sort of primitive ape instinct, I imagine. :unsure:

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Apr 4 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]417834[/snapback]</div>
    The US has torture chambers? We don't even know what the word means. We must have imported them from Vietnam or got them as war surplus from Saddam Hussein. For a definition of torture ask the guests of the Hanoi Hilton. I'm sorry but being naked in front of a female soldier is not torture. Having your arms tied behind your back until your elbows touch is torture. Having your arms tied to a ceiling fan and your legs held while the fan turns until your back is broken is torture. I suggest watching more programs on The History Channel to discover what the rest of the world over time considered torture.

Did you watch Monty Python's skits about The Spanish Inquisition? For torture they made someone sit in "the comfy chair" while being poked with soft pillows. All the time yelling, "CONFESS!" at the hapless victim. I suppose today's bleeding hearts would call that torture, too.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Apr 4 2007, 06:03 PM) [snapback]417834[/snapback]</div>
    actually dont want any dead iranians - just dont want them having any nukes.

your downplaying of the 3,000 Americans who were murdered on 9/11 says it all. i guess europeans as exemplified by the spaniards react to terror bombings and their citizenz being murdered by retreat - looks like the french have finally won over the hearts of all of old europe.

us torture chambers? whatever.

point is the britain is entering its twilight years - a once great nation and world power has faded to black. its armed forces are worthless, it cant even defend itself without help from others. perhaps the next time britain or france or old europe calls for help - it should not look this way - i for one american would not waste a dime on old europe much less one american soldiers life. the fact that we sacrificed hundreds of thousands of our young men and women last century was a complete waste.

i feel fine about myself thanks without any help from anyone else. i love being an amercian and am fortunate my family was fortunate enough to escape from europe before they were thrown into the ovens or gas chambers - the fact is europe is the last place we should look to as a role model - tolerance, diversity - i laugh.

i wish you guys the best of luck - keep your eyes open bro - believe it or not you have some serious security issues headed your way not only from without, but probably the greatest threats you face are from within - i have not been in london for a few years so i dont exactly know where they are building the worlds largest mosque (i believe that to be true) but i hope it is big and beautiful and continues to attract immigrants there from all over the middle east.

12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 5 2007, 05:43 AM) [snapback]418061[/snapback]</div>
    I know. I suggest you learn. You live in a soft fluffy cloud of denial.

Try this one, for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagram_tortur..._prisoner_abuse. Prisoners being chained to the ceiling and being beaten to death.

That's the thing about you lot isn't it. You don't actually care how many people die or suffer, as long as it's your side inflicting it. And if any evidence does come up, you just deny, deny, deny. Because you want it to keep happening. Sick bastards.

Hey, I'm not downplaying it. It's your elected leaders who have managed to kill 650,000 Iraqis, displace millions, and bring an entire country to its knees. Compared to that, your losses of a few thousand people and a couple of tower blocks are pretty insignificant, so you can't really expect much sympathy. :rolleyes:

13. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    "perhaps the next time britain or france or old europe calls for help - it should not look this way"

From memory it is the US government that came to the UK for help and we gladly stood by your side to give a good show of union against terrorism. The world has changed and the next nuclear weapon delivery will be a future car bomb, just as the attacks of 9/11 did not involve any military hardware. Sorry to say that the biggest navy in the world won't save you.

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 5 2007, 07:36 AM) [snapback]418120[/snapback]</div>
    Berman, please post some facts that haven't already been refuted to support these ideas of yours. G.B.'s armed forces are along side ours in Iraq, and you're calling them worthless... go take their place then. G.B. is strategically mothballing parts of their fleet to make way for newer, more powerful aircraft carriers, the de-facto supreme military striking platform. When was the last time G.B. had to defend itself? Maybe you're talking about that pesky little war where Germany took over all of Europe and G.B. was the last holdout?

You say G.B. and Europe shouldn't look for help from us... but who has been helping us in Iraq?

Sacrificed all of those men and women last century a waste? You are referring to the war we entered after we were viciously attacked, right?

Berman, pull your head out of your butt and actually think things through for once.

15. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ Apr 5 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]418135[/snapback]</div>
    Hey KV55--
    The US government did indeed ask for your country's help. I say thank you for being a great ally, especially with the aftermath of 9/11 and Afghanistan. Most of us understand that and don't forget it; don't let the evil doctor give you a different opinion.

Of course, many of us also wish that our government hadn't decided to do something about Iraq...wish that Iraq hadn't been on Dubya's radar. Oh well...

And, again, glad your sailors are home now!

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Apr 5 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]418130[/snapback]</div>
    I know, you are the guy that set march 31, 2008as the retreat date - how did you determine that date or number? Perhaps the same way you got the 650,000 killed iraqi's?

either way, there is still a net + of iraqis alive because saddam is gone :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 5 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]418179[/snapback]</div>
    i think gb is a good ally - the best european ally. i am concerned about their future because we need a strong and vital gb in this war on terror.

17. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 5 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]418179[/snapback]</div>
    you see evil and call it good- you see good and call it evil :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 3 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]417268[/snapback]</div>
    Well said. ;)

Correct me if Im wrong but I remember others in another past thread compairing Iraq conflict to the Veitnam conflict......

PS. I want what ever PG had before the avatar was taken! ;)

19. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think i saw that too... something about how the liberals are going to make us "lose" in Iraq just like we "lost" in vietnam... I'll give you three guesses who said it... you probably only need one :D

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 5 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]418254[/snapback]</div>
    How did we lose the vietnam war - do you think it was a military defeat?

and if we do lose the iraq war - why, of course in your opinion?