1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great gas mileage gain!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusHappy, Jan 20, 2006.

1. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

I live in California and own an '04 Prius. The gas mileage is already phenomenal as anyone in this forum would know, but I was looking to get more even more mpg out of it. I tried various different techniques to increase the gas mileage although nothing seemed to improve it significantly. The gas additives didn't seem to work and neither did putting in premium gas when I filled up. Messing around with my intake system only seemed to cause more problems than it was worth. I thought about the exhaust system and it didn't seem too restrictive except for the cat. That's when I decided to try removing the catalytic converter and putting in a test pipe. Since it's an OBD-II vehicle I had to use an O2 sensor simulator. Dude, removing the cat made a definite improvement. I gained about 4-7 mpg and I think it gave it a little more power too. I'd suggest trying this out if you're looking to get a little better gas mileage.

Shelby profita likes this.
  2. rustin

rustin New Member

sounds interesting, where do you get the O2 sensor simulator?

3. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

A catalytic converter treats the exhaust before it leaves the car and removes a lot of the pollution.

Removing it will significantly increase your emission of pollutants. <_<
    howstuffworks.com - catalytic-converter

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  5. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

I'll definitely put it back in before I have to smog it again. The way I rationalize it is that I use less gas, so I figure it balances things out.
    By the way, I love www.howstuffworks.com :)

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I think that, if this reasoning were correct, catalytic converts wouldn't exist. :rolleyes:

douglasjre likes this.
  7. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

Would you rather have a car with great gas mileage or a car that is better for the environment? Think about how much better the gas mileage is, and I'm sure the emissions are still lower than big trucks and SUVs that do have a cat.

8. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you gain 4-7 mpg without the catalytic converter then you are suggesting the catalytic converter is responsible for perhaps a 15% or so mpg reduction. That seems to be excessive. Can someone please confirm if the catalytic converter is actually responsible for a 15% reduction in mileage?

Rick

douglasjre likes this.
  9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I would rather have a car that is better for the environment.
    My Prius already gets great gas mileage.

I don't believe you have shown any evidence that a Prius with its catalytic removed generates less emissions than the vehicles you cited.

Edit: Corrected spelling error.

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would NEVER... repeat... NEVER scarify emission for couple MPG increase on my Prius. The Prius is designed for low emission. Great mileage is the side benifit.

11. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

How can you confirm anything like that without testing it out? MPG in the real world isn't something that you see on paper. It varies, that's why I put 4-7 mpg. It's somewhere in that range depending on how I drive it.

12. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any engine running w.o. a catalytic converter will be A LOT dirtier then the biggest SUV. You might gain a little MPG but you are destroying the environment faster then that Navigator you smirk at. To see this look at motorcycles and how much they pollute, they run really small engines but since most of them don't use cats they pollute an awful lot. From what I've read they are worse for the environment then SUVs. That said some motorcycles (BMW and I think Honda) to have cats on their bikes nowadays

C Wagner and Isaac Zachary like this.
  13. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

On the freeway at higher speeds the ICE is working pretty hard. I could see that if you gave a slight increase to the output of the ICE it could give an increase of 4-7mpg on the freeway at the higher speeds when the ICE is working hard. Like around 70-80mph the ICE is working pretty hard. So maybe not a 4-7 increase everywhere, but I could see it incertian situations. Priushappy, do you drive the car on the freeway at higher speeds a lot? I'm interested in this mod...

14. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

I'm just trying to help people that want to get better gas mileage out of their Prius.
    I don't have any proof. I'm just speculating that it puts out less emissions than vehicles with much larger, less fuel efficient vehicles.

15. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

What proof do you have that I'm polluting more than another larger vehicle?
    What proof do you have that says motorcycles pollute more than SUVs?

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What proof do you have that you aren't?

The way to settle this is hook the Prius up to an analyzer and get a readout.

17. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok,

I no longer have research material available but this is one of the reasons I decided to drive a Prius instead of a motorcycle (*that said I think a BMW motorcycle would be on par with cars*).

quick search though revelled this: http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocm...lnk=101&id=1498
    I also found this from our Canadian neighbour:
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/science/sandemay01/article1_e.html [I haven't read it all yet]

I'll find more if you are interested.

Motorcyles, lawn movers etc pollute a lot more then cars, the resons this isn't a big problem is that the number is low. Still they should be improved. Catalytic converters do a great job of cleaning up the exhausts of cars.

So removing the cat is NOT a good option. It's one of the best way to clean up the exhaust of a car.

18. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

Lawn mowers are usually two-stroke motors. That's why they pollute more. Are you also referring to two-stroke motorcycles?

19. PriusHappy

PriusHappy New Member

I at least admitted I didn't have any proof. I said I was speculating. Anyway, that would be an awesome test to perform.

20. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I agree that lawn movers is a bad example and I shouldn't have brought them up. But look at the new post I added (I edited my last post) from that article you can read the following (and most motorcycles nowadays are 4 stroke):

Note how they compare it to light trucks (i.e most SUVs). I'm not saying that the cat does all the cleaning but I know it does a lot. Removing it to help gasmileage shouldn't be an option and is illegal.

So while I respect people who try to maximize the milage I think this is not a good idea.