1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great News for Canadians!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dzoutzidis, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyrus69 @ Apr 22 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]428201[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the US dealers won't sell to us, put it that way.

Actually let me be more specific. Washington area Toyota dealers won't (since most Canadians would be from BC).

So yeah, unless you find a high volume dealer in Cali or something, we're stuck.

2. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I was also informed by the local dealers that a new imported car (Toyota or Honda) will not be supported for warranty fulfilments in Canada. This in not an uncommon practice at all; apparently it applies to most brands except a few.

Then there is the issue of inspections and compliance which for some folks raises the price further for some models they import. I know it is ridiculous, but importing a vehicle can sometimes be more of a pain than what it is worth.

Cheers;

MSantos

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSantos @ Apr 23 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]428821[/snapback]</div>
    Most of the time, it's said to deter you. I don't think they can legally deny that (esp. since stuff like roadside assistance works in both Canada and US).

I remember reading this thread in CarTalkCanada (CanadianDriver's forum) and people were complaining about the Nissan Xterra warranty issues. Now the Xterra is a compact SUV meant to be taken off-road like the Wrangler. Yet, there's this tiny line that says if you take the truck off-road, the warranty is removed.

So.... why are you advertising a truck that can go off-road (and it can!) yet refuse the owner the right to do so.

The same thing about the M3 and warranty issues if taken to the track.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Because Toyota personel do read these forums, I'm not going to tell you what to do. Just be advised, there are options for getting a car in the US and bringing it back. Oh, and "most Canadians are from BC" is a little myopic. ;) I suspect most Canadians are actually from Ont. and PQ. It is true that a new car importer (Toyota cars - US to Canada) was based in BC, and that may have been the impetus for the letter Toyota NA sent to US dealers telling them not to sell to Canadians. I suspect, especially in the US, that this kind of action could be considered illegal.

Keep in mind, in the US at least, that Sue is a verb as well as a noun.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Apr 25 2007, 07:25 AM) [snapback]429702[/snapback]</div>

when I mean "most Canadians are from BC", I was referring to Washington state. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I remember a salesperson telling me that they had orders from TMS not to sell to Canadians. Kinda weird especially that was the same dealer I went to two years earlier and they were more than happy to sell them to me.

I guess you have to protect the Canadian dealerships which is perfectly understandable. However you do realise that in BC, the dealers have colluded to provide no negogiation whatsoever. No freebies (maybe an oil change or like.. free rubber mats) nothing. The rest of the country continues as usual.

Think about Sarge who got a great deal on his C Package (demo I think). A demo here in BC will never sell for the price Sarge paid.

6. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow just another reason to move to Canada and leave this backwards country behind.