1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great start today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Spaz, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So on my way to work I stopped at the bagels shop to grab some breakfast. I got back into the car put the bagels on my lap and started to drive away when I felt something warm on my leg...it turns out they loaded the thing with so much butter it went through the paper soaked into my pants and then onto the upholstery on the seat. Needless to say a 3x2 inch butter stain is an ugly sight to see every time I look in the car. Does anyone have any ideas?

ADR6350 ?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks man...appreciate the help, no dice tho. Anyone have an idea for seat covers in a GenIII?

ADR6350 ?

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    People install leather seats all the time, which probably leaves the original fabric leftover. Why don't you put up a WTB ad in the Marketplace, listing your year and interior color, and see if someone bites?

5. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was thinking about replacing it, but I haven't had the chance to look into what's involved yet but it looks like absolute garbage...I wish I could post a pic but this app won't let me

ADR6350 ?

6. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cover it with duct tape!!!

Seriously, try using rug / upholstery cleaner. (Most cleaners are water based and use a detergent as a mild solvent.) If that doesn't work, try isopropyl alcohol - but test the material first in a hidden spot to verify that the material is color fast. Also, paint thinner may also work to dissolve the butter. But again test the material first (in a hidden spot) to verify that it is color fast

Keith

P.S. How were the bagels?

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One of the old tricks for most of it is, a blotter, kleenex, paper dish towel AND then a iron, not too hot and blot up grease,butter, oil. Done immediately is better. Then finish up with a good foam upholtsery cleaner. Do not saturate. Small amounts and many steps are better.
    :cheer2:

8. lilfos

lilfos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carbona has an oil/fat removing version of their product:

Stain Devils

9. ewilke

ewilke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    try simple green and blot like crazy what do you have to loose.

10. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Power Extraction

First, you get the fats, oils and soils into solution with an appropriate solvent, and then extract the solution with a wet 'r' dry vacuum. After extraction, repeat cleaning as necessary, then rinse twice as explained below.

The appropriate solvent will either be a polar solvent such as water and detergent, or a non polar solvent such as naphtha or mineral spirits. Try the water/soap first.

Wet cleaning (water/soap) should be with 1 quart of warm to hot water with 1 or 2 teaspoons of Dawn (not more).

Dry cleaning (hydro-carbon solvent) would be naphtha or mineral spirits used straight. Of course, as always when workings with hydro-carbon solvents, liquids are flammable, and vapors are explosive. Use adequate precautions.

IN ALL CASES, test the cleaning solution on the fabric in a hidden spot to BE SURE that the fabric is not attacked (melted) by the solution. BE ADVISED - even if the seat cover fabric stands up to a hydro-carbon solvent, the fabric backing and foam cushions may not. Dissolving (melting) foam padding under the seat cover would be a very bad thing!

After cleaning/extracting, use an acid rinse at least twice. Saturate (not deeply) the whole area that was cleaned with a solution of 4 parts clean water to 1 part white vinegar, then thoroughly extract the rinse with the wet/dry vac, and repeat.

DO NOT use any vac that is not for sucking liquids.

When finished cleaning and rinsing, cover the area with several layers of clean white dry towel, then weight them down so that the remaining dampness will migrate to the towels. Alternate weighted towels with opportunities for air drying.

If there are soils deep in the fabric – as in a ten year old carpet – wicking during drying can leave some soils on the surface where the evaporation takes place. Wet extraction and acid rinse as explained above is indicated for this on following days.

Acid rinse is VERY important to neutralize the alkaline detergents and to mitigate the effects of wicking. Any soap solution left in the fabric will quickly attract more soils, if left un-neutralized.

MrBill

:eek:

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Or you could take it to a car detail shop and they'll remove the stain.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, quit eating butter on your bagels. It's not good for you and it can stain things if it drips out. :)

13. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Alright so thanks everyone for the info, here's where I'm at right now. I tried calling a couple of detail guys and pretty much nobody wanted to touch it because they couldn't be certain they could get the stain out. So when I got out of work that day I did the whole iron and paper towel trick and it actually helped a little, it didn't take it out completely but it was one of the better ideas I found. Then I rinsed it off with a little hydrogen peroxide (something else I found on the lovely interweb) and that appeared to do little to nothing. So after being frustrated I went inside to call it a night, went to bed and inevitably went to work the next day. Now when I was getting into my car at the end of the day, I looked and it had all but disappeared. This was one of the weirdest things ever, its hardly visible at all now and I have no explaination as to why...I guess ill just have to count this one in the lucky break category...

ADR6350 ?

14. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I found this material on the seats of the Prius to be really forgiving, it seems like everything just cleans right up. I suppose if they were neglected and left for years in a filthy state then it might be too late. Good that it wasn't such a catastrophe. :D:D

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It may have been the hydrogen peroxide. I used some when I spilled coffee on my new carpet and noticed it worked best if I just sprayed it on and left it for a day or a so.

16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    beware the food police.:rolleyes:

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If they come to my house I'll probably be in trouble.

18. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you love your car and want to keep the interior from that kind of damage, keep a spill proof container in the car to carry food/coffee. There are foods and drinks that once spilled are nearly impossible to get out of certain materials.

I try my best not to eat in my car. Don't ever want to be pulled over by the 'food police'. I've heard that they are some scary nit picking hombres! I do carry water, but that doesn't stain anything. Honest officer!

19. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you happen to check your pants when you got home? Sounds to me like it soaked back into your pants!

20. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, I'll deal with it soaking into my pants, maybe even deal with it soaking into my butt itself, as long as its not on my seat...lol

ADR6350 ?