1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GReddy Speed Cut Controller for Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Justdidit, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just found this lil device - if you were to test it out on NON-public roads...hmm...

GReddy 15590201 Speed Cut Controller Nissan/Toyota Type-A $75

[​IMG]

MicroImage has installed them b4 and it DOES remove the toyota speed limiter....

Wonder how fast the stock G2 would go w/o doing the mods that the Landspeed Prius did in the Bonneville Salt Flats - 130.794MPH (1.5L otto cycle motor swap from echo, modified intake routing, JDM TRD ECU, inverter upgrade, final gear changes, transmission cooling system, custom 1-off suspension, larger front diameter tires and custom exhaust)

Just lettin everyone know its available - does work for the G2 Pri....if needed...

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This would be good for those attempting engine mods for more power. (I am not one) Currently you can't dyno for HP as you can't lock a gear ratio, and you can't use top speed to estimate HP as there is a speed limiter.

It would be nice to have some 'real world' measurement to dismiss the many snake oil schemes presented on PriusChat.

Justdidit likes this.
  3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ya pretty much after 70-80mph the Prii gets MPG like most cars. Crappy.

I like to cruise and get good mpg but not all the time... Like to mod cars that most people don't or wouldn't... I'm talking with MicroImage about the intake, exhaust and fuel mapping using AEM FIC and Boomslang AEM FIC Harness so I won't have to cut the stock wiring. Once I finish the suspension, wheel and stereo mods....on to the engine and tuning..

4. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering, not trying to be an nice person... but $ per HP, you could squeeze a lot more out of a non-hybrid than you can here. Seeing what you're facing with intake and exhaust, I fear you're going to hit the ceiling very quickly.

For example, there's 20+ HP to be squeezed out of a Dodge Neon with a few bolt-ons that one can find lying around a junk yard, and a little Dremel work. Here's a great article describing the step-by-step process... and note that ECM mods don't happen until after stage 3... Dodge/Plymouth Neon performance upgrades

What exactly do you think you're going to achieve here? Is there really THAT MUCH power to unlock?

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't plan on tapping into gobs of additional HP, but it would b pretty cool to beat 131mph on the salt flats... Or place high in a unusual autocross class. The idea behind my intentions like my usual banter isn't ROI, but rather bcuz no one else is doing it. Doing something that's not norm but rather on the unbeaten path. Anyone and everyone mods Hondas and other typical lil cars, but rarely or rather uncommon do u find a hybrid being modded to such a degree.

Sezy and WE0H like this.
  6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have asked many times about changing the 3rd Gen ECU software and either people say it is encrypted code or why would you want to do that... Then the ones that say OMG your warranty will be void. It'll get voided if someone narks, otherwise an ECU can be flashed with factory code before the car has to be seen. That is nothing new and happens with many other vehicles. Another is your going to spin tires. The electric motor has torque limiting. Wonder what potential there is with less torque limiting?
    Your right foot is the old school traction control.

Hybrid performance might be a big aftermarket money maker if people start getting serious at modding Hybrids. Who knows what potential may or may not be there. The people that figure it out might be very happy a few years later. Anyone can go buy a fast car. Some can buy a grocery getter and turn it into a awesome track car. Some are happy just driving to work in a bone stock vehicle.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

Justdidit likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So your plan is to take out the factory protection for the drive train, and put it back after you ruin it and act innocent?

Great Ethics. :cautious:

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did I say I was planning on that? No I did not :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I quoted someone else?

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. Where's that statement above? :confused:

Mike :)

Mobile on my SGH-i717

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The obvious thing to do is to replace the Prius engine with the similar block from a Corolla. Do whatever they do to step up the power of a Corolla block.

Of course now you've got a car that is not street legal. Ok for the race track, but no way is it going to pass any standard emissions test designed for a Prius.

The rev limiter on the Prius is there to prevent damage to the transmission. So just bypassing the limiter isn't going to be very productive.

Ok, here's what you do: Cram a Lexus 450h power train into a Prius body.

12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sort of like this kid who added nitrous to the new 5.0 mustang (god i hate those ugly pos's) his mama bought for him, swapped pills at random until he blew the motor up. removed the kit and took it to the dealer to get a new engine under warranty. and he did get a free engine. i wonder if ford ever figured that one out...

13. bobeast

bobeast Junior Member

Don't forget to add one of those big coffee-can buzz-mufflers. Those make you go really fast.

14. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That comment was real productive!?
    :RollingEyes@LameComments
    I bet a sticker like this would help out also..
    [​IMG]

Sezy likes this.
  15. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If by "modding" you mean adding HID lights and plastic bits of bodywork, yes. But if you're talking about proper stage 2 / 3 mods, it's not something "anyone" can do. As I was attempting to tell Jimbo, some folks do simulation and/or calculation before so much as turning a bolt... and are able to do crazy things like crank 400+ hp out of a wheezy little engine without blowing it up.

I understand your intent, but like trying to mod a lawnmower engine, there's only so much you can hope to gain... and you'll still be left with a slow lawnmower. Have fun wrenching, just don't tie your hopes to any land speed records. I've met some folks that have worked on land speed machines, and they're invariably the folks with piles of engineering texts on their desk, sweating over gear ratios, flow rates, turbulence, rotational mass, etc.

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    RobH likes this.
  17. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 3rd car after two Ford Taurus 5-speed SHO's (OH SO FUN) was a lil 89 Civic DX that i bought bone stock from the original 1st owner with the D15b1 70hp engine. I ended up doing the typical Mini-Me swap with A6 block, shaved Y8 head, P29 pistons, lightened flyweel and SI 5-speed swap was my first engine swap was a pain but still a lot of fun. I learned a lot taking parts from other cars and making a lil franken-mini. I was able to chirp the tires in 4th gear w/o dyno tuning other than only swapping the ECU. Everyone said do the B16 swap. I said nah, Did the D-series swap and spanked most B equipped civics. It was a ton of fun.

I know the Toyota 1NZ engine doesn't have as many swappable parts but I have to start somewhere. My last resort will be to do some swap after I squeeze this lil guy for all its worth... Thats the real fun in really modding cars other than stickers and window tint. Most are too concerned about voiding warranties of diving into unknown territory - unfortunately most will fail for a few to succeed. I can tell you most the guys who actually do the swaps do not sweat over engineering texts but probably more over the heat from the garage and exhaust. The current landspeed record by the Prii I really don't think it'll take that much to beat... But unless i try - I'll never know.

18. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Warranties are for whimps. I avoid cars with them. It's like signing a prenup before getting married. If you're so obsessed with failure, you're going to end up failing somehow.

Justdidit likes this.
  19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sure it does!
    Toyota NZ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There is 31 HP right there, and now you have a stock Echo/Yaris engine. Many folks know how to hop up the Echo/Yaris.

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've been lurking all over the Yaris performance forums... good info on there. Spoke with MicroImage in LA and their extensive mods with the 1NZ-FE while having Bisimoto do some tuning.

Looks like I'll prob doing more future business with them. Pretty sure they'll be able to help me out if I end up with the Yaris 1NZ-FE engine swap while keeping the Prius pistons (read somewhere also the 5thG Tercel pistons are also swappable)....some head work, cams...engine management..maybe even a N.O. fogger setup. Who knows where this'll take me. Don't think a boosted Prii is what I'm looking at...but a fully built and tuned 1NZ-FE paired with the MG2 and some sort of aftermarket increased inverter cooling would be pretty sweet