Green Bean Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RyanFlorida, Sep 26, 2017.

1. PriusRaj

PriusRaj New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am in a similar situation deciding - green bean vs dealer vs Tampa Hybrid for HV battery replacement. Green Bean seems the cheapest option. Is the battery still working well?

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tampa Hybrid may be able to find you a good used battery from a wreck.
    If you are DIY the kit of new cells from @2k1Toaster for $1600 delivered basically gives you a new battery. IF you are not DIY I do not know how much Tampa Hybrids would charge to do the work.

There is a link in my signature for the kit of new cells. Grean Bean and other "reconditioned" batteries are no longer recommended due to high failure rate.

3. Eddie25

Eddie25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

Anybody have a picture of the newpriusbattery.com battery installed in their case?

how do the temp sensors or the vent tubes clip in?

Anyone gone this route yet?

SFO likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would always choose Tampa Hybrid if they are local.

Eddie25,
    Here are pics of NewPrius from my test pack
    I was one of the first to purchase a while back (which I have since sold)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bDJiFOJzwPhEClCs1

Don't forget to check with your local dealer for pricing as well.

And, as in so many of these posts I am going to (get up on my soapbox and) remind people to get the tools (inch-poind torque wrench) for properly torquing down the connectors. There are lots of nuts and bolts. Improperly overtightening or undertightening is so eaily avoided. To not do so is simply lazy... and can be dangerous to yourself and the pack.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Eddie25

Eddie25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the great pictures. Interesting buss bar setup. It's really nice to have this option for new batteries. I guess it's still working in the car you sold? My only concern would be there is not a large test group to prove long term real world success as there is with the OEM type of battery.

kc5dlo likes this.
  6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got rid of the battery because I didn't really need it. The car I put it in had a good battery to begin with.
    So I pit the good battery back in and sold the car. The cylindrical battery pack I sold to someone else.
    I did it as a service to this community.
    I knew people were hesitant so I figured I'd take the risk and try it and report back.
    I run a hybrid car repair business so I could write it off as a business expense.

Raytheeagle, RMB and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Buckyswoff

Buckyswoff New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased a GreenBean battery under six months ago and the battery is now dying. The warranty they offer is only to replace the original battery. If the second battery dies you are sol. I can safely assume the second battery will not make it 6 months either. So not worth the money to go the GreenBean route.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would certainly call them for a discussion about that as it may just be a misunderstanding. If true, this would really piss me off.....and I would make sure to let everyone on earth know about it. For that price you're only a few hundred away from a NEW battery.

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Buckyswoff
    That doesn't sound right?
    When you have a moment could you call me to discuss? 608-729-4082

I have customers with these installed in their cars. And I doubt that is how they understood the warranty.

Edit: The closest I could find to what buckyswoff' is saying is this phrasing under transferability. But that seems out of context and only if you emphasize the word "purchased". "This means the warranty only applies to the purchased battery in the original vehicle. "

#29 ericbecky, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  10. Buckyswoff

Buckyswoff New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was incorrect. I was using the greenbean chat. Must have been a bot and it was confusing. I called them direct today and they said they will replace multiple batteries if needed. My greenbean did die though and it has been less than 6 months. Wish i could edit or delete that post.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Moderators like @Tideland Prius are very helpful here editing when it is needed. ;)