1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green Bean Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jclark, Jan 14, 2019.

1. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that, I believe, Toyota recycles the materials from old batteries when they take old cores in exchange for new. New Toyota batteries are technically most likely recycled also.

Also, a Toyota battery is not tremendously more expensive. They can be as little as $200 more and with half-hour or hour installation (less than $200?) by a knowledgeable installer, that shouldn't be more than $400 more total.

SFO likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota batteries have new sealed modules with new electrolytes. Recycling metals and plastics is different than reusing old chemical parts.

3. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They also said they use a higher grade of Nickel in the Gen 4 NiMH battery modules. Since the modules are the compatible with the previous generations, they may be using these better modules in older replacement packs.

I know a few years ago, Toyota US in California experimented selling refurbished packs from a vendor and abandoned that program.

5. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    The $1350 core price seems high for just the non-module parts of old batteries. Why do they pay so much?

6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To make it difficult for the third party rebuilders?

Why does Cisco give so much trade-in on old switches? To reduce third party sales

Skibob likes this.
  7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there is kind of a trick there though. I don’t believe they can fully recycle the nickle into new batteries. I think they use the nickle in iron production.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not just the non-module part, it includes the modules. They primarily want the modules back as they committed to a closed cycle recycling program from the outset as part of the Prius program.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but @Prodigyplace felt they don't re-use the nickel. That means the modules are still effectively worthless. So if they don't re-use the nickel in production of new batteries, but they do recycle, what do they do with all this nickel?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prodigy was saying they don't rebuild batteries by reusing the recovered modules. Modules are tested and if they have useful life they are repurposed for various charitable endeavours. Those that can't be used that way, all the plastics, metals and minerals/elements are recovered and feed back into manufacturing of new modules.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The recovered metals could also be sold to be used by others in their products. Just because Toyota is reclaiming the materials does not mean they need to use all the recovered materials themselves.

12. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we can all agree that we don't really know what Toyota does with the cores, but the point regarding environmental impact still remains. By re-using modules in other industries and recycling the rest, it's reducing the need for new nickel (and other materials) to be mined for batteries or other uses, depending on what happens to the old modules.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But why would they? The materials have much more value to them for reuse, than selling on the scrap metal market. As well, it would be a negative input situation in that they would not have enough materials from recycling alone. They would require new materials to supplement the recycled ones.
    Pretty much the game plan Toyota’s strategy employs.

#33 dolj, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can completely reassemble to use as a core. You keep everything, nothing is returned to me.

Exactly. You are free to sell all your old modules and easily get $20/pc from them. If you ever want a core, you can just as easily buy known junk modules for about $5 on eBay. It does drop the price of our kit significantly when you factor that in. But some people will just put the old modules on a shelf which is fine too.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. Jetje

Jetje New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you able to find / purchase a new Toyota Battery for $1773? Local dealer quote is $2,592 (includes core credit of $1,350 if old battery is returned), + installation & tax.

I called Toyota of America to inquire about purchasing a battery directly from them, as suggested by some, but was told that it's not an option / that purchasing from a dealer is the only option.

16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2592-1350 is 1242. I have never seen a Toyota battery that cheap.

17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are some unicorn dealers across the country that offer it at that price, some even lower. However they're the exception and it comes with caveats. None of them that I know of ship. Period. You want it, you drive there to pick it up. Pay core charge and tax. Do the swap in the parking lot???? Get your core back.

The bigger one is that most shops will refuse to sell the part to you, Random Joe-Street-Mechanic. Just flat out refuse. Others will sell it to you for the higher MSRP price (plus core plus tax). To get the discounted rate you have to be a mechanic, like a real one, that does this for a living and able to get Toyota Parts Counter wholesale rates. You can call, the sales monkey will confirm the price in their system, drive 500 miles to pick it up, and be told no at the door. It happens pretty often.

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We both know they legally can not refuse to sell the battery to Random Joe-Street-Mechanic...they may say it at first...but they can not refuse by law. The trick to getting the lower scale pricing is having a good repore with the the Parts Department and Dealership in general.

Skibob likes this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It happens all the time unfortunately. They can easily claim it to be a "safety hazard". That's the story I have heard from lots of people dotted across the country independently. I am sure if the police were called you could get your battery sold to you, at MSRP. I think you'd lose any good rapport you may have had when you threaten legal action to buy the product.

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gasoline is a "safety hazard". If you have to threaten...you don't have a good "relationship" with your Dealership to begin with anyway...so you would likely already be paying "MSRP". The Parts Guys can be your best friend.