1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Ryan Harrington

Ryan Harrington Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for more people with experience with green bean for battery replacement. Only seen one thread. Hoping to find out more.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard lots of excellent reviews, and a handful of terrible reviews. And that's usually how it is. When something works fine, you don't scream it from the rooftops.

They are a used battery. Yes it is reconditioned, but it is used. Unless money is extremely tight, I would spring for a new battery. For a Gen-2 you should be able to walk into a dealer and get one installed for about $2500. Labour, tax, parts, included. The part itself has decreased in price to between $1600 and $1800, but there is also a national backorder last I heard.

There's also my battery, which also has a backorder which are aftermarket not-Toyota cells for $1600 but you've got to install them.

You should be able to get a number over the phone from your local dealership. It may not be as high as you think.

jerrymildred and dolj like this.
  3. Ryan Harrington

Ryan Harrington Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you sell aftermarket batteries? Do you have a website? What's your warranty like?

I am about to swap it out with another Prius I own temporarily, but will still need to replace the bad one. Local dealers have quoted me $1950 for new battery for the part only. Not sure what their warranty will be with diy install

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my signature. 2 year, 25k miles, no fleet exceptions. In reality, I expect them to last equivalent to an original battery. But they haven't existed that long so there is no definite proof, only lab analysis and extrapolation.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so if you have any other questions PM me or find one of the other threads on it like here: Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells | Page 22 | PriusChat

The $1950 price is higher than the national average, but inline with the standard curves. And in the Southern USA, these prices are more expected because of the network that exists there.

Over the counter you get 12 month unlimited miles warranty from Toyota. Dealer installed you get 3 year unlimited miles with Toyota.

dolj likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ryan, you should listen to 2k1Toaster, he knows what he's talking about.

Also, if you can get a dealer to sell you the HV battery part (which not a complete drop-in assembly, so some parts need to be transferred over) for $1950, you should jump on that. It is a good dealer price for 100% new modules, which is on what you want spend your money, not some unknown random group of refurbished/rejuvenated second-hand modules, which is what refurbs/rebuilds are.

Be aware also if going the OEM part route, that there is a strict repackaging protocol to follow in order to get your core deposit back.

6. Scott Caputo

Scott Caputo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I’m calling dealerships around me in Los Angeles and the best price I found on just the OEM
    Battery with exchange of a non bamaged core is $2478.00

id like to get a new battery and put it in myself. Anyone found a better price from Toyota for gen 3 battery?

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In Southern California you should be able to get it closer to $2k from the dealership over the parts counter.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing beats a new factory battery. But you must have a handful of skills be able to pull an 75 lb box out of the car know how to use a DVM have some room to work and tear the whole back end of the interior out of your car.
    And have a hybrid capable code reader like Dr prius for instance. Mots of us have techstream which is a Chinese knockoff of Toyotas factory diagnostic software. becasue o
    if you put the new battery in and the car wont start and thrwos all kinds of codes on the dash you must be able to harvest them and figure it out or its a tow to the dealer. And on you way there just throw your wallet out the window...

use the search forums link up top search keyword

techstream

and Hybrid battery.

Hundreds of posts about each. Start reading.

9. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  10. Ewhitaker0020

Ewhitaker0020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A