1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Green Car Reports article

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by stephensprius, Jun 5, 2019.

1. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Which is reflected in the multi-vehicle rates.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, we have 3, doesn't help much. should be almost free after one. otherwise, it's a scam

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Your definition of scam is unique. You should go into the insurance business. You could advertise "no-scam" pricing and undercut the market.

#143 jb in NE, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you get into the insurance business? it is well regulated by 'insiders'

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    More or less, state law allows corporations to run uninsured as long as they have adequate assets

6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That means they are self insured. This is common.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have adequate assets to meet the definition of self insured but only corporations can be self insured.

8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Figure out how the system works and do it. Same as anybody else starting a business.

9. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Incorporate. Beat them at their own game.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even warren buffet couldn't figure it out, he had to buy gecko

11. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Would be an interesting concept rmay635703 LLC
    in a past life I ran a small business
    Anymore “making things” besides food or beer isn’t reliable income around here
    Incorporating in our heyday didn’t make sense at that time, not sure much has changed

jb in NE and bisco like this.
  12. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    He is in the investment business, not the startup business. He finds well managed companies and invests in them.

#152 jb in NE, Jun 8, 2019
  13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You don't need to make anything to set up a corporation. It is a legal entity. If there are legal or financial advantages, set one up. Think of all the money you will save on insurance alone...

You will need a cool looking business card as well.

#153 jb in NE, Jun 8, 2019
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    because <1% of drivers travel over 500 miles less than 1X a year? .... & ½ of those times it's in a rental car? hardly an advertising slogan. Still, I suppose for those who fall into that niche that's a great thing. Otherwise? After that 12½ mile one way trip in the Prime? .... here comes range anxiety ( by a different name, described below) .
    My better ½, even on a 17 Mile trip will start having range anxiety, knowing before she gets home, the engine will likely crank over on her plugin Chrysler Pacifica minivan - & and start burning gas, no longer free driving.
    Ironically, it works the other way too. In a plug-in hybrid, it's called gas anxiety, where people dread having to drive farther then their electric mode will take them. The nice thing about some of the newer PHEV's is that they will charge anywhere from 6.6 to 10kWh ... which means instead of having to wait for a 24 mile charge over multiple hours, some can be recharged 2X the range in under 1½ hours before burning gas and putting more time on the crankcase oil & filter.

#154 hill, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  15. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't know where you get these estimates. I would guess a lot more than 1% of drivers take a trip of over 500 miles once a year. And, the ones taking rental cars are those with EV's and not enough range to get where they are going.

I have not found this to be the case. I go as far as I can on EV, then the engine starts and I keep driving. Not a worry. Now, with a BEV, I would worry, with no other source of propulsion.

In other words, every Prime ever made. In warmer weather, the EV range is typically 30-34 miles, more than the EPA estimate.

#155 jb in NE, Jun 21, 2019
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the data wasn't brought up to get anyone P O'd. But here's a quick summary. Columbia University surveyed around ¾ million people;
    [​IMG]
    often It's hard to grasp when people fall outside of our own personal Norm.

Trollbait and 3PriusMike like this.
  17. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I wonder why Tesla is putting Superchargers on Interstates if people aren't taking trips longer than about 100 miles (per that graph)? Drivers should be able to leave home with a full charge, drive the trip, and get home with remaining charge, even with a standard range Tesla.

18. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Because of loss aversion

Going from a gasser to an EV feels like you're losing something (i.e. "range anxiety"). If I had a standard gasser, I could leave right now and drive cross country with no worries that I would get stranded due to not being able to find gas. I can't say the same for EVs....unless I were confident that their existed enough charging stations within my EV's range.

Now, I've only driven cross country 3 times in my life so far, so even if I couldn't in an EV, its not like my life would be impacted whatsoever. But that pesky feeling of loss still gives me some (irrational) hesitation regarding EVs (and its part of the reason I choose a PHEV).

#158 noonm, Jun 21, 2019
    Trollbait likes this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife is a freak for gain/loss psychology - especially pertaining to marketing & really enjoyed the article. Thanks.

20. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You are losing something, not just feeling like you're losing something. You're losing usable range and the ability to refuel the vehicle pretty much everywhere. Thus, range anxiety.

It's not a pesky feeling and it's not irrational. It's a fact that you have less range and fewer fueling/charging options. If your travel involves long trips in out of the way places, you have a problem. If you drive 100 miles a day, depending on the EV model, then range anxiety might not be warranted.

This doesn't imply that EV's aren't a good choice in urban areas or on highly traveled roads on short-ish trips where you can recharge (and watch a Netflix episode). But you are more limited in range/fueling with an EV than with a higher-range gas or diesel vehicle. And even then, with a 700 mile range diesel I drove, I kept a close eye on fuel and stations ahead, as diesel is not as widely available in some places as gas.

As EV range and number of high speed recharge stations both increase, then BEV's become attractive to more drivers.

Mendel Leisk likes this.