1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured "Green" car segment growth

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 6, 2018.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Two items that I think are slowing growth in the segment.

1. The initial Prius cars are so good for so long that people who are predisposed to buy green are keeping them in the family. After 180k, 45k and 60k our three are in no hurry to be swapped for a next gen or even a greener car.

2, The drumbeat of what is coming next gen or next year makes sales slow as we wait for the latest and bestest. So much publicity and who wants to buy a car you intend to keep for ten years only to see its features eclipsed in 6 months. Normally, product cycles are long and you understand them. And historically, the model year to model year changes are relatively minor. Not any more.

Buying even a Prius new involves a commitment of financial resources not every one has and the buyers are unusually sensitive to the stock market for their sense of economic well being. Economics tells us things can't continue to be rosy forever. I worry that just when great new EVs become available and even moderately affordable, they won't be as a recession hits. And to be cautious, I'd keep my perfectly functional older car. Functional as in 30 bags of mulch today. Functional as in good enough.

Trollbait likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

markabele likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My opinion..."most" people don't want to buy green cars...just to green.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no question, and a lot of people don't want to recycle or turn the heat down. have to make it cheap, convenient or mandated, pick two.

Trollbait and iplug like this.