1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green New Deal -- Limitations

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by evpv, Sep 24, 2019.

1. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ban dryer sheets lol.

bisco likes this.
  3. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many movies have you seen that depict a bleak future where everything is grey and burned out, no vegetation. I think that's the future a lot of people want to avoid. It's a strong visual image. I saw the movie AD Astra (horrible) yesterday and a big part of the message was to appreciate our green & blue Earth, space is cold and grey. Sometimes we only think about the past and present, or maybe a year into the future. Fast forward 25 to 100 years and it's not that far fetched to imagine a dust bowl scenario if the human population & fossil fuel usage doubles.

4_3029bd8651e5a7369264560cb4c51745.jpg

IMG_6808.JPG

AP_18317769435454.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Certain things that get written into law should come with an automatic death penalty for whomever had a hand in writing it.

The above would qualify
    alongside water barrel bans
    and bans on parking in your own driveway .

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of us here probably agree totally about being good stewards of the environment. But posting a picture of a dead earth is sort of an ad hominem or emotional attack.

The issue we face is how do we be good stewards of the planet and get 10-billion population at the same time?

6. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I've been to a few climate conferences, and I can tell you that the attendees are emotional about the environment. Close to militant in some situations, notice that they liken the urgency of the "climate catastrophe" to WWII. They view wasteful lifestyles with disdain. You aren't going to satisfy them by saying you'll pollute 20% less, or keep flying but use slightly more efficient airplanes, or "optimize" the route of giant diesel shipping vessels. Their vision of "good stewards of the planet" is way beyond cutting back a little. No fossil fuels, no meat, no single use plastics, no compromise.

7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you are sort of missing the point. It takes a little thought.
    If you "hurry up" and build a lot of over capacity for the short term you are building a lot of factories and their entire supply chains with old diesel equipment, with older techniques, etc. You may even produce more CO2 on the margins than you save in some cases. But in any case the optimum rate of ramping up needs to be carefully considered not just some arbitrary deadline date.

In any case it doesn't actually matter because there is no way anything like the GND will actually be passed as a law. Instead they will debate plastic straw banning. (which, BTW, I think paper straws or no straws are probably good enough 95% of the time)

Mike

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do we really need straws?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Milkshakes :)

Trollbait and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Absolutely. Straws are a necessary evil in life. My wife refuses to ever put her lips on anything that even has the possibility that another person previously may have had theirs. Regardless of sanitizing. (back off, this discussion is in regard to straws only). My life would be miserable without straws.....

11. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There will never be a time that this isn't the case. At some point you just need to jump in the deep end and adjust when problems arise. Batteries also happen to be super useful in a lot of situations, so I have a hard time seeing overcapacity ever arising as a significant problem. The larger issue will likely be supply constraints regarding specific critical raw materials needed for whatever battery chemistry is used.

Jay Inslee just ran a climate change plan writing group masquerading as a Presidential campaign. Not only does it provide a realistic blueprint for climate change legislation, but also outlines executive action a President could take alone. Its also quite modular, so the next Congress and/or President could choose to do as little or as much as they want. Its basically the policy details of the GND, so I see it highly possible that at least some, if not much, could actually be implemented.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

When these people finally get tired of beating their heads against a wall, please refer them to the second half of post #2.....:D

13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The "What you can do...." list on page 2 of the Wake Up, OC! flyer lays out realistic & achievable actions. Your list of 6 points in post #2 is unnecessarily insulting and lacks specifics. I doubt anyone would take your list seriously after reading your first point.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I drink my beverages like a beer ... no straw needed. When you sip a drink, the smell rises to your nose and you get an extra flavor. In contrast, straws remind me of a suckling baby.

Bob Wilson

#34 bwilson4web, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was advised to take my colonoscopy prep through a straw to the back of the tongue. i guess i could live without it.
    if i were concerned about putting my lips on a restaurant glass, i would never have wine or draught beer out.:unsure:

maybe we could have permanent straws, like water bottles. i just bought a borosilicate glass water bottle, pretty nice, and no more plastic.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have stainless steel and acrylic straws. Lots of options on Amazon, and I see them in Ross now.

bisco likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do NRA straws come in different calibers with a cleaner rod?

Bob Wilson

noonm and Trollbait like this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be a good activist you need to know a couple things:
    (1) Handbook of tactics (have it somewhere) gives tactics that acvtivists use, and tactics the other side (industry etc) uses.
    (2) Undertsanding of how Humans Perceive Risk by Rutgers/etc (hint- humans do not weigh risk very well)

I would say 30-years ago, "industry/gov't" had the upper hand with their tactics.
    These days public is dis-inclined to trust the authorities so the activists tactics are working overly well.
    Re: risk perception, basically we accept enornomous risk if we agree with it, whereas even zero risk is an intolerable outrage if something is viewed as forced in to us.

I should add:
    (3) Understanding of American Politics (hint we like to define the enemies as targets (scape-goats)

#38 wjtracy, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can't say, but mine came with a suitable brush.

20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Steel straw?
    Like this one....

Fatal Accident With Metal Straw Highlights a Risk - The New York Times

They're deadly. They kill people. Glad there wasn't a high capacity box of them, half the neighborhood may have perished...

Merkey likes this.