1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green stickered PlugIns are gonna ri$e...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DianneWhitmire, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It would take them way way way more fight and effort to cancel the stickers than to just keep them at 40K. If the automakers who benefit from the stickers as well as the folks intent upon using them pushed for more stickers, it might happen faster. Those of us with green stickers already really don't want to add more traffic to our own commutes, but in my case, it's double edged sword!

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's really easy to promote purchasing fuel efficient vehicles. The rest of the world is already doing this. Double or triple the cost of gasoline and everyone will be lining up to buy EV's and hybrids. But it is political suicide and no one will vote for your tax. So as inefficient as the HOV decals are or even how unethical it is, it's the best we have. If you don't agree, let's discuss an alternative that works. I am one data point of someone who would not have purchased if not for the decal.

There were 85k yellow stickers plus a handful of white stickers during the last program. I doubt we're anywhere near 10k white stickers now so I think the decals are will be fine for the rest of the duration.

iPhone ?

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...hmm...well it seems to me that CA will simply issue more green stickers soon. Otherwise the whole PHEV market would semi-crash.

I wonder if it is better to dis-allow dealerships from automatically handing out stickers...if the individual has to apply, it means they actually need/want it. I wonder if the recent sell-out of green stickers is due to people actually needing more green stickers, or just due to dealers making sure each PHEV gets a green sticker whether or not the owner needs it or not.

4. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would say that it is likely that more stickers are offered as the auto industry has an incentive to lobby for them, politicians have an incentive to give the facade of being environmentally friendly, and the consumers want them. The only people that don't want more stickers are the ones that already have them, and possibly the highway administration.

My whole point is that electric technology doesn't need subsidy to get off the ground and thrive on its own. Rather, it needs gas to become more expensive. If BEVs are better, then consumers will purchase them. No manipulation necessary.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  5. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We are actually over 35,000 white stickers. Factor in Tesla, NVG's and all of the possible EVs... my white sticker count is over 35,000. I can get you an exact # tomorrow.

mmmodem and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  6. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Strange as it seems, I've seen a couple of posts by CA plug-in owners who didn't apply for stickers. I can tell you that the issue rate was about 40 a day steady last year until September, when the dealer program started,. September-October it was 90 a day (the pipeline getting filled) and then 80 - 83 a day for the next two 2 month periods, until it spiked in early March.

So my theory is that dealers plus individuals were applying for stickers for more cars after September than individuals were before. But it's also possible that dealers were slowly climbing on the program until March 1 so the increase was just the pipeline filling.

I think longer. A lot of those stickers will go to individuals who would otherwise have applied on their own. So after the dealers finish getting theirs, the issuance rate should drop dramatically. I'm thinking somewhere around mid-May, possibly even longer.