1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green Testimonials

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Suburban600, Jun 9, 2007.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Aug 15 2007, 12:30 AM) [snapback]495981[/snapback]</div>
    That's a load of bollocks and is really a straw man argument of sorts in the first place. Given that fossil fuel plants have a massive negative environmental impact, I'm not really sure what this point of this is. If we switched everything to nukes we be importing uranium very quickly. We'd also be using insane amounts of water to produce electricity. Nuclear will have a place to be sure, but it has significant risks associated with it. One way or another those risks are monetized. Generally in the form of huge subsidies. Diversification of energy supplies is a important. For a variety of reasons. This guy gobbing off about Nuclear being the only way forward is as ridiculous as it naive.

Wind turbines do increase the value of land. Why the hell to you think that they're so poplar with farmers? Large turbines pay out thousands of dollars in royalties each year (per turbine). They're very popular in rural areas because they bring in revenue (taxes and royalties). Furthermore, the impact of wind farms on avian populations has been shown to be smaller than house cats. The altamont example just shows that this guy is cherry picking data or is completely ignorant of developments in the wind industry. The altamont farm bears no resemblance to modern wind farms. It was poorly sited (right in a migration corridor) and uses old turbines that are characterized by high rpm rotors and "scaffold" style bases that allow birds to roost on them. Modern turbines are low rpm and have tubular towers so no roosting. The newest farms are located to minimize bird kills. Wind is not the only answer, but can and will play a significant role.

Wind alone could provide for all of our energy needs with far less environmental impact than the current set up. The problem is that the cost would be very high.

Solar, biomass, and hydro (including tidal and wave) represent massive amounts of energy (solar being the highest). There is an enviromental impact to everything, but saying that nuclear is the lowest impact is ridiculous. It does represent a pretty balanced approach if done correctly, but let's not kid ourselves.

2. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

HOME

CFLs in all lights before it was cool, some have been replaced twice now!
    composting yard waste,
    recycling of everything accepted in this area. Even to the point of pulling out metals from plastic broken appliances when unable to fix them.
    The prius and bike, many walks.

FARM
    Parents own a farm so used as a good source of Veggies, Eggs, beef.
    Save all used cooking oil and fat and bacon/burger grease, all waste fat is saved and made into biodiesel witch is intern used for the backhoe at the farm...kinda gross useing the farm animals to fuel it but its Eco friendly right?
    Chickens are great garbage disposals for bad food.

COMPANY
    We do the same at work for recycling as in the home.
    Since we manufacture jewelry we get as much gold as we can that is from recycled computers, and old scrap jewelry, we recycle the preciouses metals in house from our scraps, we take in customer gold to re use and remelt.
    Same with silver, we use old coin and silver ware, old bars etc.

10% of our utilities are from wind power. The rest is from the cleanest coal plant int he country.

In the future as it can be afforded I would like to add solar and wind to the home. An EV would be nice,
    Looking into possibly distilling ethanol from sugar beats as they grow well here. 1 acre of our 36 is enough to meet 70% of my driving needs even when you take the lesser energy content hit and yes a prius will run on ethanol but you have to do a few things.
    Not done yet but its a though that I like.
    Its too bad cellulistic home brew able ethanol is not feasible as grass and yard waste in the summer would fulfill the other 30% if done by pyrolysis.
    Too bad they dont have small pyrolysis units for home use as if garbage plastic and paper was used that way I am sure it could cover a good chunk of peoples needs.

someday...someday.

3. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are some small, portable pyrolysis units meant for farms. Of course, they're experimental. Wouldn't it be cool though?

Oh, and you're in CO too. There's probably some NG in the energy mix. You're up in Ft Collins so I'm guessing you're not an Xcel customer. The state gets 30% of its energy from NG, but I don't know the breakdown for the different utilities.

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Aug 15 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]496119[/snapback]</div>
    It's a creamy white (standard builder color). Doesn't look very glossy at all, so I suppose it's flat. Will definitely consider this angle should I need to repaint my garage door for some reason. Not sure I understand the difference between the two types of paint in terms of heat absorption though.

I will have to call the builder to verify whether they put insulation in the garage ceiling and the wall adjacent to the kitchen.

Side note on leaving garage door cracked open: One time we came home to find an armadillo in our garage. My wife, who's terrified by mice, nearly passed out (after waking up half the neighborhood with her screams, of course!) while I quickly rushed inside to ... ummm... grab my camera. :D

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm probably not doing enough, but

*I do try to make every purchasing decision an informed one.

*Compost (the pile is so active that I threw an old pair of sweatpants into it, and they disappeared far quicker than I would have expected)

*Shop locally, try to buy things that aren't as transportation intensive, ride my Xootr when I'm running errands in town.

*Re-landscaped the entire property with native plants (and a majority of these were propagated by me on site, not bought and stuck into the ground)

*Don't buy new things if I can avoid it.

*Don't buy *anything* if I can avoid it!

*Repair it instead of replace it

*Do my best to avoid broadcast TV and other messaging which encourages me to consume (and tries to make me feel bad about myself if I don't)

*Don't keep up with the Joneses

*Avoid personal electronics, anything that requires me to buy into an entire proprietary "system" in order to function correctly, or anything that seems to be designed for "ease of use."

*Buy dry food in bulk, instead of little packages. I also re-use the bags for the same food each time, so I don't need a new label.

*Don't buy anything in a composite package that's not recyclable (it sends the wrong message to manufacturers)

*Insulation in the floor, walls and ceiling of my home (and, yes, I know, if I really cared about this I'd move into something higher density).

*Installed a gray-water return system so I can do what little watering I need, with that.

*Extremely strong consideration to the location of any potential employers for whom I'd wish to work. Long commutes aren't good for anyone or anything (except oil companies). Also, I consider my commute to be part of work...the longer it is, the less I make.

*Little things like reusing ziploc bags that have only had crackers or whatever in them, without washing them.

*Cook at home

*Would really like to give up meat altogether, but I still can't quite figure out how to in a way that I can sustain. I think this would be a *great* thing to do, but I haven't yet.

*Try to find fulfillment within myself, instead of seeking it elsewhere.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Aug 15 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]495981[/snapback]</div>
    There are different degrees of environmental impact: humming wind turbines that may or may not be offensive to our personal sensibilities, vs. a cooling pond that glows at night, and has a half life of 10,000 years.

6. Suburban600

Suburban600 New Member

Making some progress on the list.

Sold the 2450+/- sq/ft home. Now living in the 1450+/- sq/ft home.

Made a bicycle canoe trailer for the green giant, my 110 lb coleman scanoe. I pull the canoe 1.5 miles down to the river with my bike. Thank goodness for small chain rings! Went through a couple of trailer prototypes. Will provide pictures and update sometime in the future. Next step is to fit the canoe with a sail...will make the rig...should be a lot of fun. Thinking about making a puddle duck racer someday or maybe an even uglier bolger brick. Go to pdracer.com and laugh.

Working to move to telecommuting 3 days/2 days in office. Upside more time with the family and time to work on stuff mentioned in paragraph above. Downside 205 miles to the office one way.

Must be learning to drive the prius. Have had it for about 3 months, 9600 miles. Drove to the house today on my 205 trip averaged 55 mpg @ 60 mph. Yesterday, finally achieved 60 mpg plus doing city driving. The prius is living up to the sales sticker numbers.

To all of you who have added to this post thanks for the ideas. Lots of useful information.

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Suburban600 @ Aug 23 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]501290[/snapback]</div>
    What kinda rig are you gonna put on it? Just a square rig with a yard and mast or something that will let you point a bit higher? Sounds like a fun project.

8. Suburban600

Suburban600 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Aug 23 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]501367[/snapback]</div>
    I ordered a do it yourself plan from http://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/produ...?category=PLANS and also have a copy of old boy scout magazine plans from the pdracer.com plans section. Also have several plans and concepts gleaned from the net.

My preference right now is a lateen rig.

I'd like to build the rig just to gain some experience and to have a rig that I can place on a pd racer...if I decide to build the eccentric little craft.

I'm also looking at installing oarlocks on the canoe or purchasing a double ended canoe paddle.

Open to any tips or suggestions.

Thanks

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Aug 15 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]495981[/snapback]</div>
    I don't agree.
    Nuclear has the lowest short term impact but in the long term the waste is going to be around for a very long time. Nuclear is also a difficult to reverse technology, due to the cost of power plants once you have one you have it for a very long time so if it isn't the best, tough, you're stuck with it. Nuclear creates dangerous waste for it's entire life, wind and solar have an impact in their materials but the impact is minimal once established.
    You would need a big area of solar colectors, no doubt but not all solar colectors are black, reflective boiler towers don't use black reflectors and no one said all the energy had to come from one place or one type. Solar water heaters on house roofs, geothermal colectors, PV arays on homes and businesses, there is no reason PV arrays have to be the only thing on a piece of land and there is no reason crops cant be grown under wind turbines.

I have a Sabre sailing dingy for sale. It's a very fast single-handed sail boat which can carry a second person also.
    Needs a very small leak fixed in the centreboard case. Reasonable sail excellent mast, boom and rigging.
    I’ll sell it for $200AU
    Just the pulleys are worth that.

10. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    • Now
    • Recycle everything that can be
    • all CFL bulbs in house (old ones all burned out at once!)
    • Use SIGG bottles, instead of buying plastic water bottles
    • killed grass in back yard & put in rock (live in AZ, no need to water grass, water is already low)
    • use ONLY homemade cleaning supplies
    • bought steam mop for hard floors (no chemicals here!)
    • the Prius of course!! Two of them!
    • reuse ziplock baggies (like the ones i put trailmix in)
    • buy in bulk
    • all produce comes from sprouts or local
    • hubby carpools to work (70 miles-with a lady who drives a large SUV, he drives of course!)
    • replacing faucets & other appliences to low-flow/energy star
    • shut off excess appliances (i.e. microwave clock over stove with clock also)
    • turn off applances when not in use
    • signed up for paperless billing/on no-junk mail lists (www.greendimes.com)
    • stopped service on magazines we don't read
    • shop with Eco-friendly bags (www.ecobags.com)
    • cold water washing @ ALL times!
    • turned off "heated dry" mode on dishwasher & only Full loads!
    • take my own cup (like if i get coffee at the gas station, which is rare!)
    • walk to places within 1=1.5miles (blockbuster)
    • Donate - someone may want it!
    • A/C set no lower than 80 in our home
    • buy recycled printer paper
    • re-useable batteries & recycle other ones where approiate

Future
    • Solar panels on home for electricity/water
    • install energy efficient windows
    • Install programmable Digital thermostats (tried but got wrong one & haven't done it again)
    Thats all I can think of right now!!

11. 4futrgens

4futrgens New Member

Hi! New here!

What I do now -
    Recycle all that I can
    Compost
    Use flushable/compostable diapers
    Use cloth feminine products and Diva Cup (instead of sanitary napkins) :unsure:
    ((Sorry if TMI for some of you folks, just don't know if the ladies knew there were such products out there))
    Take Navy showers
    CFL lightbulbs everywhere
    Purchase renewable energy through our power company (wind/hydro)
    Get off as many subscription lists as I can
    Use cloth shopping bags everywhere, reuse/recycle ones that we do get
    Use Ecover, Method, or vinegar for cleaners
    Wash clothes in cold water wash
    Use hand dryer instead of paper towels when available in rest rooms
    Bring lunch in washable containers, and reuse plastiware
    Use refillable mug when going to Wawa
    Use that same mug for soda at coffe stop at work
    shop at Whole Foods
    No more water bottles, bought refillables at Whole Foods, and fill up on Purified water
    Installed a paver patio, instead of concrete for drainage to soil
    Stopped the purchase of things we really, really don't need (knickknacks, doodads, the like)
    Installed extra insulation in the attic
    Sealed and resealed around the house with caulk
    Replaced drafty windows a few years ago

What I plan to do -
    As soon as I run out, no more paper plates, or napkins. Cloth napkins and cheapie plates for me!
    Buy a Prius, most likely used in Jan '08, currently driving a Saturn SL
    Buy electric mower
    Grow vegetables and native flowers on property
    Install rain barrels
    Install tankless water heater
    Solar panels
    Purchase more from our local farmers veggie/fruit/beef/pork/eggs

I'm sure there is more, just cannot think of it! :p

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4futrgens @ Aug 24 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]501697[/snapback]</div>
    I can highly recommend these. If you drill teeny tiny holes along the length of a soaker hose, it will provide you with a nice rain barrel irrigation system. Love, love, love them. They draw a lot of inquiries.

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4futrgens @ Aug 24 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]501697[/snapback]</div>
    :eek:
    I just wipe my hands on my shirt when no one's looking. :ph34r:

14. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Aug 24 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]501746[/snapback]</div>
    I do that even if people are looking :ph34r: :ph34r:

15. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 24 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]501747[/snapback]</div>
    :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

16. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Let's see:

- Built an R-2000 compliant home some 11 years ago. Made sure that it had the lowest energy footprint possible with energy efficient heating 96% natural gas, and AC (seer 17+). Included a vented battery room in the basement for an upcoming solar powered solution.
    - Been channeling all rain water into a 2000 liter underground tank which I later use for irrigation (lawn and flowers). The pump is solar powered.
    - The lawn mower is a B&D CMM-625 battery powered (charged by a 5 watts solar panel).
    - Currently own two Tier-2/Bin2 cars. I drive a 2006 HCH, my wife's drives a 2007. She had a 2007 Prius since November 2006 but recently the Prius became our 3rd Prius company vehicle. Yes, last fall I replaced the older company vehicles with two 2007 Prius as well.
    - We do curb-side recycling and produce organic compost for use in our gardens and potted flowers.
    - We avoid flying unless we absolutely must.
    - We offset our carbon through Terrapass (and more recently, Native Energy).
    - We NEVER, EVER owned a truck or minivan or whatever else bigger than what we now have.
    - We do not chemicals or salts for de-icing our driveway in the winter months.
    - We been using CFL for more than 10 years and we've been switching over to LED lighting (rather slowly).

Obviously, we're not done yet. :)

Cheers;

MSantos

17. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSantos @ Aug 27 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]502736[/snapback]</div>
    I'm planning to set up some kinda rain capture system. It's acutally illegal in CO :eek: because of the way western water law works. However, in suburbia, it's ridiculous not to do it. It saves a significant amount of water considering the losses in the municipal water system.

18. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? It is illegal? I used to live in a drought area which would have made that system nice because we would get an entire years worth of rain in 1 week.

19. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Green, because it is:
    Vegetarian Family

Done:
    CFL's
    Prius
    Hybrid bicycle
    House cooling only by ventilation (high desert climate)

Short term plans:
    South side facing windows and trees ($3 - $4K)
    Dry laundry outside
    Solar water heater ($4k)

Long term plans:
    PHEV'ify the Prius ($5 - $10k)
    600 - 800 kWh/month PV array ($40k)
    Decrease house consumption to 500 kWh monthly through conservation

I anticipate cost about $50 - 60K, to reach close to zero carbon footprint. This is about $350 a month financed, or about what many of my patients spend on tobacco and booze. The real price is actually quite a bit lower, because my utility PNM in NM pays a clean energy production credit of 13 cents/kWh until 2018; that along with the 'free' generated electriciy, is worth about $150 a month, making the monthly cost about $200 in 2007 dollars for the next 20 years for energy consumption.

20. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My turn--

Used '04 Prius
    replaced '94 Jetta we ran to 226,000 miles
    7,500 mile cross country camping trip- family of four
    '95 S10 pickup-- willingly share vehicles with anyone who needs them.
    Carpool
    Bicycle - short drives kill mpg average!

Strawbale house
    passive solar
    masonry stove
    light tubes
    propane gas
    stove
    water heater
    clothes dryer (rarely used)
    solar clothes dryer
    rain water container for garden watering - 1000 liter
    CFL's throughout
    purchase electric produced by renewable energy (pending)
    guest room for long-term guests - use as much as possible

CSA member
    Compost
    Recycle
    Reduced trash pickup program
    Shop second hand stores
    Preach peace!

PA P