1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greenbean battery experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by karmakid64, May 31, 2021.

1. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I purchased a greenbean hv battery on Friday. I am posting the screenshot of the Dr. Prius activity monitor because I feel the internal resistance is looking kinda high. It about the same as my old
    Pack that was getting codes lol!

Any greenbean users out there?
    Any thoughts? IMG_0122.png

iPhone ?

Catherine Kourouklis likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite likely. Just did an 'advanced search' using the term "greenbean" and pulled up a few threads : https://priuschat.com/search/240325513/?q=greenbean&t=post&o=date&g=1
    If long distance driving, upgrade the AAA membership to premium or equivalent.

crazybirdman and bisco like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You do understand that Greenbean.......and other "rebuilders" ........replace only the "bad" cells and the rest of them are still "old", right ??

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it seems to be hit or miss. probably more related to the cells they use than the process.

i would say they are as good as any mass rebuilder out there, which is a pretty low bar.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, you are probably good for six to twelve months at least. Keep the battery fan screen and blower wheel clean and run the ac in hot weather to help the battery. Avoid long Ready Mode waiting or camping periods. The needed ac will draw the charge down quickly forcing rapid engine cycling.

I will say of all the refurb, rebuilt, recharged, or reconditioned battery vendors out there, all selling used batteries, Greenbean must have the best advertising since many seem to gravitate to it. Like Dorman, they put a new paint job on the assembly and make an impressive case that if reconditioning will work for anyone it should work for you using their product. The promise of a lifetime warranty and the lure of a mobile installation seals the deal.

The idea that used batteries can be brought back seems odd when every other battery in the world has a limited lifetime and has to be replaced. Amazingly "the too good to be true" pitch implies the battery will be robust or the mobile installer will rush to the rescue. Of course they really say nothing about reliability, instead suggesting several pages in that an attempted repair will happen in seven days and the warranty is void if the engine has a problem or the car was "stored" for 30 days.

It does not help that forums encourage hv battery brain surgery. At least a diy attempt at restoration costs little more than time if they just swap out weak cells.

I am sure car flippers love the documented diy methods to get an inoperable Prius running without codes. Then they are encouraged to sell the cat separately as well.

If the pricing of these refinished marvels were $650 instead of $1500 and up, maybe the chance at an additional year of reliable transportation would be worth it. Some "off brand" refurbs are closer to the $650. However with new aftermarket cells starting at $1600 diy and new Toyota cells a few hundred more, it seems hard to justify a Greenbean service other than quick relief from a failed vehicle.

847BA724-92AF-46C8-BBEB-8D27584AA7C3.jpeg

#5 rjparker, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
  6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    jzchen, Valiant V and karmakid64 like this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, since it's already purchased and installed, all you can do is see how it looks in a few weeks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    oh but the case and paint job sho nuf do shine nice ... oh dat gotta be worth sumthin ...

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I would be less concerned with the actual IR number and more concerned about block 14 being a 28....3 numbers higher than any other....typically it's the outlier like that which is the one next to fail. Since this is a newly rebuilt, it will be interesting to see what those values are after you drive the car a bit and everything settles in.

If you disconnect the 12v power, all those IR values will default to 19. You would still need to drive the car for a while for it to give an accurate indication of true value.

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was trying to find the other Green Bean thread. Looks like they are transitioning to a 3 year warranty after June 4, 2021. So June 5th you'll have the option to pay for a Lifetime warranty upgrade. Boohoo....

SFO likes this.
  11. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  12. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  13. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    "DUH"

14. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    "ridiculous"

15. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    "now the is illuminating"

16. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    "thank you for your commentary"

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I get the distinct feeling that you don't really appreciate the answers you are getting at all........and are just trying to stir up trouble.
    Anyhow, your snide replies will almost ensure that future questions won't get you any help at all.

18. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I was first considering a (used) Prius, I did a little looking into batteries and "GreenBean". They certainly sound professional.

I watched all their videos and heard about how they test and "recondition" individual cells and put together "matched" cells with similar test results. (Guess that alone makes you wonder who gets the batteries made of "good" cells and who gets the "not so good" cells...)

Their (old) warranty seemed to indicate that they had some confidence in their product.

Knowing batteries from decades of use (read "eventual disappointment") I know that they have service lives. So one does have to wonder if the old batteries are really "bad" - or if just a couple of bad cells make the whole thing look bad.

I was waiting in their videos to hear something about adding new cells to replace bad ones - never heard it.

I'm guessing that they take in 100 batteries, test and "recondition" cells, and make 80 "rebuilt" batteries out of the original 100. Guess that makes them big buyers at the junkyard too?

I used to work at an automotive electric rebuilder. We made a popular brand of rebuild starters and alternators back in the late 70's/early 80's. A schoolmate of mine came through the shop, saw the operation and commented "You mean the stuff you sell is made out of junk!?"

Um, yeah, pretty much.

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hey, I liked their product and warranty terms, plus the fact that their prices included installation. When contacted they have someone very quick to respond in a very professional manner. I guess reality has set in that they can no longer afford to offer a lifetime warranty on their batteries at current pricing. Am I saddened, yes because that just means it would cost more to buy one with a lifetime warranty...

Anyways I have my heart set on a lithium replacement if or when ours fails...

moto g(7) power ?

20. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would a lithium battery be plug-n-play in a NiMH vehicle?