1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greenness Is Overtaking Muscle-Car Culture At Shows

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Somechic, Nov 23, 2007.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this post isn't blaming Prius and other hybrids for the damage at Sudbury then what is it doing? Yet several times you have said you are not blaming Prius or other hybrids for the damage.

Here is another one,
    Yes you are blaming Prius as the most popular hybrid, along with the other hybrids. If your not blaming Prius why post it on a Prius forum?

2. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving a Corvette through a flock of endangered birds could lead to them becoming extinct too but I wouldn't blame Corvette for that.

Refering to an earlier question, what do I consider a sports car, well as I sugested a Mazda MX5 Miata and a Prius as a better option to a Corvette I guess my idea of a sports car is pretty obvious.
    A sports car does not require a large, powerful engine though some do have them. Some classic British sports cars lacked powerful engines, but were known for exceptional handling due to light weight, a well-engineered, balanced chassis, and modern suspension.

3. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    True, and the Miata is an excellent little sports car

but I always preffered big ground shakers like the 427 Cobra, Corvettes, big Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc to the small stuff

I'll have to test drive a Tesla and see how I like it

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Dissident

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You have apparently completely missed my point. Does the Prius itself go out and mine for nickel? No, nor do any other cars go and get the raw materials for their construction. I mentioned the Prius because it is the most popular PZEV on this board and elsewhere.

I don't hate the car. I don't get a sneer on my face whenever I see one out driving. I just don't see it as the automotive saviour that others see it as. If there's anything about the car I don't like, it's the attitude it gives its drivers towards others, but that's more a choice of the owner than anything else. Most Prius owners are just normal people. Are we clear? :)

5. 94GTVert

94GTVert Lets go hunting!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

If you can afford an $80,000 Vette, why does MPG bother you? Who gives a shit really? Not trying to start a fight, I was just wondering.

6. 94GTVert

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought this was about Muscle cars, not Ford Fusion and Chevy Malibu?

Muscle cars are Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, GTO, etc.

7. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Less stops at gas stations than my old 12 mpg Navigator

+ I am concerned w the environment

When you consider the Z06 makes 505 hp from the factory and can return 25 mpg, it really is quite an engineering feat

and it is also an efficient car when compared to other Supercars that make similair hp but nowhere near the mpg of the Z06

8. Skywalker

Skywalker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ahhh The old calculation of power to weight ratio. Increase Hp/tq and keep the weight the same will get you more MPG.;)

9. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Z06 is not that light despite a little carbon fiber

I think it has a lot more to do with very efficient modern computerized fuel injection systems

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he is an adult. You should come back when you reach that stage homie.

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Dissident

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I has everything to do with it. :)

My LS1 put out over 400 HP and still got over 30 mpg highway. GM has issues with a lot of things, but their engine management software isn't one of them. I see them going to direct injection in a few years and I can't wait to see what that brings.

12. 94GTVert

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Last time I checked, ages over 18 are considered adult. At least I'm not a gangster calling people homie.

I'm way cooler than that, I'm a cowboy

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed... Their system is very user friendly too.

14. BigFoot

BigFoot Dissident

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes it is. Very tunable.

:eek:Did we just agree on something?

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. When it comes to GM performance cars I bet we'll continue to agree. I've owned and raced enough of them since '93. ;)

One thing to note about the HP/weight ratio and it's effects on gas milage. The new C6 has much more power than the C5 yet gets worse milage and there is no appreciable weight difference between the two. Also notable, the CA. and Northeast edition C6's have much better emissions output than the C5 despite worse MPG. :)

This (28 mpg) is one of the reasons my old C5 ranked #2 for favorite vehicle owned.

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Back when I was doing the carpooling thing (in my Prius), my coworker who rode with me is a guy that is seriously into classic/muscle cars. He has a Cougar that he takes to shows, all the time.

Anyway, after getting to know my car, he is doing some serious planning to convert a classic car by dropping an electric engine into it, with camouflage (chrome, etc.), for taking to shows.

There is a place for muscle cars. Generally, the show circuit. There's a place for fuel-efficient, super-low emission vehicles... everywhere else. :)

17. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    actually that would be in cities in stop & go traffic

the open road is for muscle cars

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, replace the word Prius with Prius and othe hybrid owners and manufacturers then. I know you knew what I meant but in your normal style you chose to sidestep but that's OK. I believe everyone else here knew what I was saying and can see that your earlier posts were placing responsibility for environmental damage at Sudbury squarely at the feet of the manufacturers and owners of hybrid vehicles even though that damage was done years before these cars were even conceived. You then went on to claim you never said these things.

If anything you would most likely find that companies like Toyota with it's quality supply chain systems is a catalist to the clean up of the environment. Taking nothing away from the people of Sudbury who were the biggest players in the cleanup. A little study into the systems Toyota use and how those systems are passed to its suppliers would show this to be most likely. In their own plants Toyota work hard to reduce waste and even pay for products to be recycled rather than go to land fill, it then stands to reason, given the practice of Toyota to introduce it's systems into its supplier companies as a condition of doing business, that those same environmental ethics will filter down the chain. After all that is an integral part of the system. It is in Toyota's interest to ensure its suppliers are run as well as Toyota is run.

While Henry Ford invented a way to make things cheaply, Toyota invented systems to make them better. These systems were invented before WWII when Toyota was making yarn and fabric before it moved into motor vehicles. It is part of the system that the system itself is improved and has evolved.

19. BigFoot

BigFoot Dissident

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree with your post except for one little point. I did not say that hybrid manufacturers were to blame for the results of nickel mining. I never blamed them at all. Nickel has been mined for a long time with the same results, so why would I want to say that? You got that out of it because you wanted to. What I did say was that nickel mining is a nasty process and hybrid cars rely on it. Efforts have been made to reduce the impact of it but it remains a toxic chemical being taken out of the ground, and it has an impact still. Any other points you need me to clarify?

20. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not so much the Nickel as the sulfur that's in the ore. The sulfur content is variable. I believe our favorite Nickel mine in Canada has a lot of sulfur in the ore. But yes, mining in general has a pretty negative environmental impact. It can be mitigated though, through gov't regulations. I'm generally for small gov't but I believe that the gov't should issue mandates and regulate certain industries particularly were public safety and health are concerned. Unfettered capitalism (and communism, for that matter) isn't compatible with either of those.