1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greens for Nukes!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Robert Taylor, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Just to let you know, I have long disagreed with the policy of trading with communists, one party states, absolute monarchs, presidents for life, military juntas and plain ole dictators.

The United States should get out of the United Nations and trade only with elected governments where the elected face multiparty elections on a regular basis. Trading with the despots only increases their tenure and increases their wealth.

And that goes as well for various middle eastern oil monarchs, Latin American dictators and communist regimes. I do not think that these policies served the USA well in the post WWII era. The only president who seems detirmined to change this is George W. Bush. Sure, some say its too slow but the change is most welcome and whether the armed forces get rid of these despots or they are thrown out by the people (Lebanon is a brewing example) good riddance!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First of all, the Cubans who defected were part of an Athletic tournament, so it would be somewhat odd for the Cubans to shoot them down for a "legitimate" foreign trip.

Once in Canada, the Cuban "minders" would likewise be in a tough situation if they used force to prevent a team member from fleeing.

Unless PM Paul Martin allows members of despotic foreign powers to carry weapons in Canada while the average Canadian is prohibited from doing so. Don't put it past him.

And how would a Cuban obtain an entry Visa from the U.S. Interest Section in Cuba? You mean a Cuban can just nonchalantly stroll into the Embassy and claim asylum? The Cuban Security thugs would make sure that person never got close.

Much like how in China the only way a Chinese person can obtain asylum is to risk their life to sneak into the U.S. Embassy.

As far as trade with China or any other despotic empire, you're right our own government sold us out to them with their Most Favored Nation bulls***.

What really steams me is that Canadian taxpayer money is used to support the Chinese takeover of Canada. Despite the fact for the past 10 years the Canadian economy has experienced a "chronic inability to generate high paying high technology jobs." That was a quote from the Winnipeg Free Press after the most recent Federal budget announcement.

I guess you didn't read those Canada Free Press links I provided?? Please do.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

I've been watching this thread for awhile, but never added to it since it seemed some of the minds were a little too "made up".

But take a look at this for an alternative source. It's clean, and they are soon to break ground on construction. It will cost about 1/2 billion dollars, which is a good deal less than most coal and ALL nuclear plants.

Now this meets the requirements of being centralized, so the energy suppliers can control income. Sadly, it will require no drilling or mining. So we can expect an organized attack on it's viability from our "free press".

Full article here:
    http://www.enviromission.com.au/index1.htm

This is an artist rendering. No CO2, No nuclear, no oil, no coal. Very few moving parts. Plus, it will continue to produce electricity for a few days with no sun at all.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    read about the tower years ago... have they figured out how to build it?

last i heard, to be effective, the thing had to be nearly a half mile tall

5. prius04

prius04 New Member

They must have figured out something. Construction is to start soon. The land has been bought.

I guess until it's started, it's all just talk, but it's gotten it's funding so someone with money seems to think it's possible.

The height is about 1 km or 0.62 miles.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i know that there is one that is going up in Australia or NZ... cant remember which..., its only going to be about 1700' and it should work well because of the higher intensity solar available there

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At the decommissioned Rancho Seco Nuclear Power Plant, the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) has already placed solar panels and is currently building a large natural gas fired plant. I wonder if the old cooling towers could be retrofitted for use with this technology? They are tall and wide . . . just what the video said was needed for efficiency. Sacramento receives more sunshine than any other large city in the US. (As long as you don't call Yuma, AZ a large city).

[Broken External Image]:http://www.ucsusa.org/images/ranchoseco.jpg

8. prius04

prius04 New Member

The device (can you call something that big a device?) has a gigantic wide base that is where the trapped air is heated. That air has no where to go but up the chimney.

So I doubt old towers can be retrofitted.

This project is in "Buronga in the Wentworth Shire of New South Wales, Australia" and it says that this tower is going to be about 1 KM, so I think the original 1700 feet has just about doubled.

Aside from the last month or so, doesn't So Cal get lots of sun?

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the original tower was supposed to be something like 3700'. the taller the tower the greater the air current generated also the more space available for the generators in the tower.

seems to me that generators had to be placed at least 250' apart or something. i saw something on a show about this project a few years back. was very imformative. dont remember what the show was since most of what i do watch is along the same vein. (Modern Marvels, National Geographics, SuperTech, Beyond 2000, Mega Machines)

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don’t know why decommissioned nuke cooling towers wouldn’t work. The large collecting area is basically plastic sheeting spread around the tower several feet above the ground. They said in the video that the wider and taller the tower the more efficient the system becomes. I don’t know if you have see a nuke cooling tower close up, but them things are freakin’ huge! From the looks of the video, I think 50 or so of them towers could fit in one nuke tower.

Regarding sunshine:
    I think I was a little too simplistic in my statement that â€Sacramento receives more sunshine than any other large city in the US.†I think it is tenth on the list.

I was doing a bad job of regurgitating facts and figures I heard while attending a seminar by SMUD on building energy efficient housing in this area. They said that Sacramento’s location and Mediterranean climate is the best of any large city in the US for taking advantage of year round passive heating and cooling.
    Summer: Cloud-free, warm to hot, non-humid days followed by cool evening ocean breezes.
    Winter: Mild daytime temperatures in the 50s with few nights below freezing. Many clear or partly sunny days with good sun angle for through window solar heating and roof mounted solar panels. They said no other large city in the US is better situated.

Yes, cities like Yuma, Las Vegas, Phoenix & Tucson get more sunshine . . . but them deserts are freakin’ hot in the summer and bone chillin’ in the winter.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/western....n.extremes.html

As for So Cal getting lots of sun . . . only in the movies! :p Sure they get sunshine, but also lots of cloud cover, ocean fog, smog, dust, etc. Neither LA or San Diego are in the top 10.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"68492)</div>
    Actually, that seems like a perfectly sensible and wonderful idea. It's just desert, all sand, so what the h*** is it any good for anyway?

I don't see why such projects couldn't be built on BLM areas of So Cal, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona.

How's this for a simple energy-saving technique? Since most power meters are electronic now, why not program it to take advantage of all those memory registers that are unused?

Program a register to function as a totalizer: exceed 1,000 KWH during the monthly billing cycle and the power shuts off. That would be one h*** of an incentive to save power.