1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GreenTecAuto = SCAM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BCS-TX-Prius07, Jun 14, 2015.

1. BCS-TX-Prius07

BCS-TX-Prius07 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an 07' Prius that lit up the dash with warning lights a couple of months ago. Code P0a80 HV battery failure. Just under the 8 month warranty but over the 100K mileage by 15K. Checked with the local Toyota dealer and the price quoted was $3000+ and one year warranty. Discovered via YouTube how to disassemble and replace any bad modules. Being an electronics tech I decided to take this on. Finding the bad module was easy. All but one was reading 7.7 volts. The bad one was 6.5 volts. Purchased a used modules off eBay advertised at 7.7 volts for around $50, installed it, and all was good for 2 weeks. Dash lit up, same code, so I pulled it apart and discovered another module was bad. So began my search for a complete pack. Found GreenTecAuto who advertised a pack with new modules for $2295 and a 4 year warranty. I called and was assured the modules really were new so I loaded up my pack and drove to Dallas, about 3.5 hours away and bought one of the "new" packs. Returned home and before installing decided to open it up and to see these "new" modules. It took about 20 seconds to find these were not in fact new but were original used Toyota modules. Called GreenTec and was connected to a VP named Daniel Razumovsky who assured me my modules were indeed new and had a 4 year warranty anyway. While that is all fine and dandy I had no desire to go through this again in a few months or maybe a year down the road. Almost 2 weeks of back and forth by phone and email and they would not budge from their stand I informed them I would return the pack for a full refund. They offered no help on shipping even though I saved them the $150 ship to me by picking up the pack so off to Dallas I go again. A check for the full amount was waiting as well as a bad pack so I would have a core.

I talked with the service manager at our local Toyota dealer who happened to be a Prius enthusiast and is on his second Prius. After learning what I had gone through he offered a new pack at just above his cost. I actually was able to get a really new pack for about $350 less than what I paid GreenTecAuto.

I have pictures of the inside of my original pack and pictures of the inside of the pack GreenTec sold me and will post these if anyone so desires. Also emails between Daniel and myself. GreenTec's web site still offers the "new" module packs as of this post.

TGrracie, ice9 and Patrick Wong like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes please post the pics. I believe you need a certain number of posts "under your belt" before you can post pics.

I was emailing with GreenTec, never pulled the trigger, Honda Canada came through (Civic Hybrid). Would be interesting to get to the bottom of this.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 'rebuilt', 'remanufactured' battery still has a learning curve in front of it. think of yourself as a missionary, saving a future generation from these problems.

4. BCS-TX-Prius07

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My original pack. Note the colored lines at the bottom of the modules.

GreenTecAuto pack pic #1

GreenTecAuto pack pic #2

GreenTecAuto pack pic #3

Attached Files:

TGrracie, ice9 and Patrick Wong like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a member a while ago, bought a new pack from Greentec and it failed in less than a year. He suspected the packs were not new. Either way, they honored the warranty and have him another new pack.

So it seems greentec is at least good at honoring their warranty

6. BCS-TX-Prius07

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had little doubt they would honor the warranty. I just didn't want the hassle of: 1. Car down time 2. Taking the pack out. 3. Returning the pack by way of shipping (would have to pay around $150) or drive most of a day to return in person. 4. Reinstalling the pack. At 63 I have better things to do than all this not to mention I paid a premium price for a "new" pack.

Merkey likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They look dissimilar in wear, non-consecutive numbers (like ransom bills, haha). There's also grime in the corners, the kind of grime that a Hollywood set designer would die for: looks completely authentically old/used.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your post is great. Thanks for letting us know about this - sorry that you had to experience the inconvenience of learning about the scam.

I doubted that Primearth EV Energy would sell new battery modules to any entity other than an automobile manufacturer and your experience helps to verify that.
    Development, manufacture, and sale of a hybrid car and the battery for electric vehicles (battery) | Primearth EV Energy Co., Ltd.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We tend to recommend the new batts from Toyota for this reason. Many have been getting decent deals from Toyota even if they are a bit over the warranty, it requires finding a supportive dealer or calling Toyota and asking for assist (after the dealer has diagnosed the problem). I assume all 3rd party batts are reconditioned as per Patrick above and did not know Greentec was saying "new cells"..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the product title:
    Toyota Prius Gen 2 Hybrid Battery, Unlimited Mileage Warranty | GreenTec Auto

Toyota Prius (2004 – 2009) Generation 2 Hybrid Battery Pack WITH NEW GENERATION CELLS

What is a "New Generation" Cell?

In the product description, there is a disclosure that the battery is "remanufactured". "Warranty: We guarantee Toyota Prius Generation 2 remanufactured batteries rebuilt with 2nd Generation Remanufactured Cells for 48 months, the same as a new battery at a great savings."

$2,295 isn't much of a savings in my opinion.

Here is another scam for Classic Prius:

Toyota Prius 1st Generation Hybrid Battery with NEW Cells | GreenTec Auto

The webpage says, "Warranty: We guarantee 1st Generation Toyota Prius (2001-2003) batteries, Rebuilt with NEW Cells for 4 years, better than a new battery at a great savings."

A lie, which is contradicted on the same page, where you can find the following two bullets:
    • Re-engineered with upgraded materials
    • Completely remanufactured and tested

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well unless someone decides to take Greentec to court, they can claim whatever they want.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For fun I looked up the Texas Consumer Protection statute:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/word/BC.17.doc

"Sec. 17.12. DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING. (a) No person may disseminate a statement he knows materially misrepresents the cost or character of tangible personal property, a security, service, or anything he may offer for the purpose of

(1) selling, contracting to sell, otherwise disposing of, or contracting to dispose of the tangible personal property, security, service, or anything he may offer; or

(2) inducing a person to contract with regard to the tangible personal property, security, service, or anything he may offer."

However, the penalty for violation of that law is basically a light slap on the wrist:

"(d) A person who violates a provision of Subsection (a) or (b) of this Section is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction is punishable by a fine of not less than $10 nor more than $200.

Acts 1967, 60th Leg., p. 2343, ch. 785, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1967. Amended by Acts 1969, 61st Leg., p. 2045, ch. 701, Sec. 1, eff. June 12, 1969."

Why bother to have the law in the first place when there is such a minimal penalty for violation of it?

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I do not read anywhere that Greentec is saying they fill up a Gen2 pack with NEW modules, so no lie and no scam. I am most definitely NOT a fan of remanufactured batteries, but GreenTec is being reasonably straightforward and should not be libeled.

The Gen1 blurb is poorly worded. They say 'new' to mean Gen (2nd gen) modules. Since they later clarify the meaning I very much doubt that a charge of scam would hold up in court.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, what does "new generation" cells mean to a casual reader?

Look at the Classic Prius battery webpage, warranty section, and tell me if you continue to have the same opinion after reading that webpage.
    Toyota Prius 1st Generation Hybrid Battery with NEW Cells | GreenTec Auto

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No idea, but since I read adverts all day long that use ambiguity to encourage consumers to jump to the wrong conclusions, I don't see GreenTec as any different. Well, better actually because their follow-up text clarifies what the consumer is actually buying.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see 2 ads for 3rd gen Prius battery. This one, lower price, remanufactured:

image.jpg

And this one, higher priced, with "NEW GENERATION CELLS". A play on words, a ploy, or new cell claim?

image.jpg

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And it doesn't matter anyway since the maximum penalty is $200.

The lower priced one probably has 10-year old 2G battery modules in it... :cool:

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any way you put it.....it's a SCAM

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you so confident that you are willing to risk a libel suit ? I ask, because if I was the GreenTec owner I would have you, Patrick, and OP in my cross-hairs. This is the internet, but you are NOT anonymous.

But sure ... go ahead. Stick your neck out. And hope that being part of a mob saves it.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nevermind.
    I think Sagebrush is right.

#20 The Electric Me, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015