1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

greetings, and a question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveloMA, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All things being equal I'd go for the '13, the odometer difference is trivial, d.o. for the price difference. But again, look them over, they have different histories, hard to say.

2. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If everything else about these suited me, interior and exterior color, tires etc. I'd go for the '13. One year newer and essentially same miles.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "All things being equal" works for new cars because they are. Every used car is different as is every owner. Those who drive a lot will prefer the older car with less mileage because they are going to blow through the warranty anyway. Those who are more cautious and drive less may want the newer car because they will have warranty coverage for a longer period of time.

The things one person discounts could be deal breakers for another.

Since you asked the question, I would go with the older one as it costs less and has less mileage. I am not concerned with a warranty claim in the last year of eligibility and I won't exceed the mileage limit.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you want the backup camera, you will need to go with Model 3 or higher in the 12 to 15 Prius.

#24 dorunron, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  5. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My coworker bought 2015 HB II for 19.5K. If you are ready to pay 17K, this probably a better option.

6. DaveloMA

DaveloMA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You had to go and say that, didn't you? :)

You bring up a good point. There are a few Persona models in my neck of the woods for $19k....

7. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Personally this summer I bought 2013 HB II with 55K for 13.3K$. I miss backup camera, other than that, love this car. I saw several DYI how to install camera, so may be I'll do it.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful with CPOs!!!

They're not all the same.
    Sometimes a "certified pre-owned" is JUST that......Certified to be pre-owned.

It's also true that you can get a base model hatch for under $20k out the door.
    You want to be careful about the higher trim models in a new car. They can drive a $20,000 eco-hatch's price north of $30,000 very quickly.

Also, you'll want to get pre-approved for a loan at a credit union or other BANK before you let them tease you with the zero-percent loan from TFU. You'll always get a better cash deal without doing the teaser-rate thing.

Lastly, JUST SAY NO to warranties, gap, non-optional options, extra service agreements, etc....

Good Luck!

9. DaveloMA

DaveloMA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I hope that a Toyota Certified Used-branded car means more than "Certified to be pre-owned" -- From a dealer's site: "Toyota Certified Pre-Owned means you not only get the reassurance of a 12mo/12,000 mile Comprehensive warranty, but also up to a 7yr/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 160-point inspection/reconditioning, 1yr Roadside Assistance, trip-interruption services, rental car benefits, and a complete CARFAX vehicle history report."

For example: Used 2012 Toyota Prius For Sale | Littleton MA

Hadn't thought about pre-approval, so thanks for that.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some delaerships sell vehicles that are "CPO" that are not Factory Certified Pre-Owned, and the big guys that have the "real" CPOs tend to up-charge for that benefit.

Also...remember the words "up to" and "limited" when you regard the additional warranties. RTFP......or read the....ah....FULL paperwork.

MA might be a CARB state.
    If so, you have additional protection on some of the scarier hybrid components (10/150?) that goes well beyond the CPO coverage.

11. DaveloMA

DaveloMA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? I haven't seen anything new close to under $20k out the door in perusing the interwebs of Boston area dealers. Under $20k, I'd buy new, for sure.

#31 DaveloMA, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  12. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    duplicate

13. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There certainly is. Here's an ad for a 2015 Two for under $20K.
    Toyota Dealer in Tewksbury : Ira Toyota - Great Toyota Deals!

(ps - I have nothing to do with that dealership (or any dealership!) - just a result of a two minute web search :) )