1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greetings and questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffery Merrill, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Greetings and salutations, all! It's obvious I am new here but I have gained a great deal of knowledge since I found this forum and am so thankful for you all being here!

I have wanted a Prius for a long time but until recently it was beyond my financial ability to obtain. That, however, to my great glee, has changed. After considerable debate with myself I have decided on a Gen 2. I am trying to find a later gen 2 with Nav I can afford but might have to settle for an older one. Either way I want the Vav and other accessories in the higher level versions.

All that said, I have a question I am having trouble finding an answer for. I usually see a steering wheel with control clusters for Nav, VOX, and phone, but sometimes the center console has four buttons and sometimes it has more. What is the difference? I need the Nav for work, I deliver Pizza. Does the Gen 2 with control clusters on the right side of the steering wheel have Nav? Or is it only on models with more than 4 center console buttons?

Thank you for your time.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, the factory NAV is NOT that good. I would suggest you go with a portable GPS such as a Garmin Nuvi or something similar. Try to find one that has free updates. The nuvi I bought three years ago came with lifetime map updates. To update the OEM Nav on the Prius would NOT be cheap.

IIRC, you are looking for a unit with more than four buttons. It has been a while since I was in a Gen II. Our old Gen II only had the four buttons, and it did not come with the Nav.

Best of luck to you and "Welcome to Prius Chat"!

toyota-prius-nav-492.jpg

#2 dorunron, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    kenoarto likes this.
  3. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been using Google maps and Waze on my phone(a Note 2), but I hate having to constantly maneuver the phone when driving to keep my route. I thought the onboard Nav would be easier to use and be more in my line of sight. I rather not use a unit suction cupped to the windshield . I don't like obstructing even a small portion of my field of view.

I also want the bluetooth connectivity. I often have to call a customer to get clarification of location, so hands free calling is a major enhancement I want.

I found an 05 with all the bells and whistles, it just doesn't have leather seats, for $5k. It has 140K miles so I am still debating that option. Most Gen 2s with Nav and bluetooth are asking north of $6,500, and less miles ups the price more to over $7,000, so the debate is raging.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are other mount options besides windshield suction cups. Some mount to the dash, or clip onto air vents, or to other points.

In the household's Forester, I cut a plastic panel to fit the storage cubby below the radio unit, cut a hole in it to show the Garmin screen, and double-stick taped the whole thing together. It sets securely in some natural grooves without permanent mounting, yet is easily removable. Then a second plastic panel can be set over it hide the whole thing, making it look like a generic blank panel. The resulting arrangement works better than the Nav in my Gen3 Prius, though the screen is mounted significantly lower.

Maybe you can look over the Gen2 dash and do something similar? It does take a bit of thought and figuring.

I believe one of my Garmins has Bluetooth for this very purpose. I just don't use it.

#4 fuzzy1, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be aware that the older model's with more than 100K on the clock will not have any warranty for the hybrid parts. It might not be a bad idea to educate yourself as to the cost of repair of the system. IE: traction battery replacement, inverter pump replacement, inverter replacement, and so forth.

The Prius is a great car but it also has some expensive parts to go with it. Pizza delivery is demanding on any vehicle. A used Prius with excess of 100K may or may not be the best vehicle for what you are going to be doing.

I used to deliver for Domino's years ago, so I feel I know what I am talking about.

6. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please, never think I am trying to argue or be contrary. I know I am not as knowledgeable as you or others here.

That said, I do have a plan in case some things do go wrong. First, I got myself trained on traction battery cell testing and replacement. I was a mechanic for many years so it's right up my alley. Second, I plan on purchasing a Hybrid Cell Rebalancer from the store here to help maintain and extend the life of the cells already in the car. Ideally I will find a car with a new traction battery already installed, but worst case I can buy a few cells at a time and rebuild the entire battery myself.

Third, I need more schooling on what the inverter and inverter pump are, what might go wrong with them, and what it entails to fix or replace.

I thought long and hard about my choice of vehicle. One factor I considered was that here in Indiana the hills are not too steep for the Gen 2 traction control, except in icy conditions. As a rule the streets here are fairly level with only gentle rises and declines to worry about. I researched how the Gen 2s deal with winter driving and found those who had them found the weight of the vehicle was actually a benefit in snow conditions. The exceptions were limited to icy inclines of medium or greater steepness.

I do have to admit this. I have a touch of OCD and I cringe at having stuff mounted in my car that didn't come with it. Laugh all you want but I never said I was normal, lol!

I thank you deeply for your advice, it really means a lot to gain what you have to share!

P.S., will a 7 button MFD plug into a 4 button MFD mount? If I have to buy a base model with a 4 button can I buy a 7 button MFD for the blutooth and other conveniences? Also, will a 6 disc cd player mount in the slot for the single disc?

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No to all of these questions.

If you want the Sat/Nav and bluetooth, make sure you get a car with them.

8. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm glad I don't have the built-in nav. It's amazing how fast roads completely change, and the handheld units are usually much easier to use. I set the old Garmin on the open storage tray door below the audio system but sometimes I have to fire up the smartphone.

Interestingly, the directions on the old Garmin are once again accurate for an interchange in my hometown. For years, the highway entrance was on the left. Then it was moved to the right with a loop ramp for a few years. Now it's back on the left again. Sometimes, if you wait long enough, things correct themselves. :)

I find the Prius to be an excellent winter car with the right tires. I usually prefer it to the 4wd, as long as the snow isn't real deep.

I'm of the belief that it's best not to worry about the failure of the expensive items. Sure, there are failures, but overall reliability is higher than just about anything else on the road. "Just drive" is my philosophy.

9. waynedubjay

waynedubjay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wouldn't worry about one with NAV, i hardly use my NAV unless in unfamilar area and need to hurry up and get my bearings(i.e freeway coming up).

Use a smartphone and a car mount.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If the car has cd/aux on the radio unit, you can connect your phone via the headphone jack into the aux. port. That way google maps will send its voice directions through the car speakers.

The are many other solutions for adding bluetooth.

GOOD LUCK!

tanglefoot likes this.