1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greetings From a New 2014 PiP Owner - My Analysis vs. Volt and Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by m3ryder55, Mar 30, 2016.

1. m3ryder55

m3ryder55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello Priuschat,

I never thought I'd see the day I'd own a Prius. I will admit I used to be an donkey driver towards "efficient" vehicles on the roads.. BUT NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE.. and now I know the struggle of trying to save MPG!! : ) being on the other side of it now, on the 405 and stuck in the traffic jams of LA with people tailgating you, cutting you off and not letting you merge into lanes -- I noticed this is a common theme in some of my background reading on this forum. I've already learned an incredible amount of useful information from basic research on here.

Anyways, it is nice to join this community. I recently landed a job forcing me to commute from Chatsworth to Playa Vista (405 freeway) (32 miles round trip) (average time 1hr-1.20hr). I knew it was time to ditch my daily 2005 Porsche Cayenne V6 that averages 12mpg and takes 22gallons to fill up.. my weekend car is an F82 M4 so I still get my fun out of it when I can. The first two weeks of my commute, my brother let me borrow his 2013 Volt with the HOV stickers. Although the HOV lane didn't help much, it still helped and on some days it did noticeably save me some time.. other days not so much. I knew I needed to find a car with HOV stickers on it and preferably a used one with low miles since CA wasn't issuing out anymore HOV stickers. Electric cars with white stickers just aren't feasible at this point in time and theres no point to buy commuter cars brand new in my opinion.

After a good amount of research, I knew the car for me would be a PiP. Nothing against the Volt, but I would never buy a Chevy for the long haul. The car was nice but not my cup of tea for several reasons which I won't get into. I was able to drive anywhere from 40-45 miles all EV and 20-25 miles on gas in my round trip commute with the Volt. It didn't make sense for me to charge the car at work due to the $5 dollar fee per charge for 80% battery on a drive back that is all up hill. Doing the math, I would need to fill up the car every 10 days (give or take) for 250 mile range gas extender engine with my commute for $22-25 bucks (same size tank as Prius I think).

Toyotas last forever it seems like and having previously owned a couple Toyota vehicles I knew what I was seeking. I found a 2014 PiP, original owner, clean car fax, 19,000 miles, all service records and still under basic warranties for a great price! The car was exceptionally clean, minus a scrape on the front bumper but thats nothing. I gave my new baby a full detail, from clay, to compound to polish and seal using Menzerna products and my PC; a full interior cleaning and conditioning of the carpet (seats were exceptionally clean) but now the car is to my cleanliness standard. Boy I love this car; idk if I'm biased because this thing is mine but it feels nice to be back in a Toyota (used to own an IS350). The car is much quieter on the inside IMO compared to the Volt; the visibility is much better as well; I will admit the Volt has a nicer interior layout but I couldn't stand that cheap looking/sensitive head unit area; the Prius is much more driver friendly; The PiP has a better reverse camera; of course this is subjective to me.

After being a gear head for much of my life, it's refreshing to strive to increase my MPG. Everyday on my commute I try to beat my previous record. The highest overall MPG I've attained driving to work (mostly downhill from the Valley to Playa Vista) was 90 miles (today actually) using the pulse and glide technique, eco mode, no AC needed, no DRL lights on etc. On my way home the best average I've gotten is 44mpg (tied it today) (with my EV range still being ~4 ish miles after leaving the gym in Marina Del Ray). I toggle between EV and HV modes, saving EV for the bumper to bumper traffic, light cruising speeds, downhills, and street driving. In all, today with a 70 mile commute, I averaged 59mpg. Since owning the car I've averaged about 53-55mpg.. I know its not like the top people here but MAN AM I HAPPY WITH THIS.

Questions:

1. Is the tank 10.6 gallons like google search states or 8.4 gallons (ish) like what the gas meter states? I've taken this thing down to 10 miles left on the gas range and it took 8.5 gallons to fill or less. I know on my IS350 I would get the range to 0 but still had another gallon or so of gas left in the tank.. I wouldn't risk this just wanted to know.

2. I really like how the 15" Black OEM Prius (regular) hybrid wheels look compared to these ugly PiP wheels. Anyone here running these wheels on their PiP? Are the offsets compatible or will the calipers touch the wheel?

3. I've done my research on HID kits here. Seems like there is a spread of information. I understand many recommend changing the projector for an HID compatible one... MY IS350 didn't have HID's stock so I've ran aftermarket kits before. I've had HIDextra and another brand that went bankrupt. The HIDextra was good enough and cheap. I never had issues with my conversion.. but maybe I was too dumb to notice a difference.. At this stage of my life I want something that will get the job done and not need replacing for a while. What kits, if any, are some of you running and how long have you had them for? I'm debating between the Kesun (amazon one) and the TRS ones..

Thanks for reading my post!

[​IMG]

2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Your brother's 2013 Volt had an EPA range estimate of 38 miles and then 37 mpg on the gas engine in congested highway traffic. Did you consider a next generation 2016 Volt with 53 miles EPA range and 42 mpg on the gas engine? Given the range you got on the 2013 Volt, you probably would have gotten nearly 60 miles of EV range in the 2016 model. You probably could have done your commute all electric or very nearly all electric.

But congrats on the new Prius which should also be an excellent commuter car!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

great write up, thanks. the tank is 10.6, but the light comes on after 8 or 9, levying the rest as emergency reserve. all the best with your new pip!(y)

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This news came out today:

The LED headlights in the top trim level Toyota Prius V — the only one of 31 models tested to get the "good" rating

and

Eighty-two different headlight systems were available for the 31 2016 models assessed in the study. To get the top-rated headlights in the Prius V, consumers would have to purchase the advanced technology package, which is only available in the top trim level. Standard halogen lights without high-beam assist in less expensive Prius V trim levels received a poor rating.

Study Illuminates Big Performance Gap for Car Headlights - US News

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Premium fuel....Ouch!!! gas savings alone should take care of monthly PIP payments.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome we just made a vaca trip drive from San Fran to Seattle. Lot's of Prii and PiP's with green stickers, but a lot of trucks/pick-ups too. By truck traffic I got the impression economy booming out there vs. rust belt East Coast. It was suprising how many defunct yellow HOV hybrid stickers still on some Prii, dreaming I guess. I had a Cruze which did well up to Yosemite etc

7. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I get another 100 miles after the last fuel bar beeps at me. I've run the tank out twice now, and the most I can fill with is 10.2 gallons. I think the Prius shuts off the gas engine before it actually empties the tank because I've never experienced sputtering. Perhaps it shuts off at the first sign of sputtering.

To get a very good idea of your available range, just add a zero to the end of your MPG estimate. If you are getting 50 MPG, you can go close to 500 miles on that tank of fuel. Having a 10 gallon tank makes multiplying the MPG by 10 (adding that zero) very easy to get range.

I put the cheapest HID bulbs I could buy into the halogen projectors with good results. The cutoff appears to work well, and people don't flash their brights at me very often (maybe once every few months). I think I got close to 4300 temperature because I wanted the brightest and whitest light. Maybe I went as high as 5000, which is slightly high. It's been a year and no problems so far. Much better light than the stock halogens.

TerryK. likes this.
  8. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Enjoy your new PIP.....but I couldn't disagree more on the the interior quietness comparison. My 2016 Volt is much quieter than my 2014 PIP. Not even close. And my Volt's backup camera is a lot better than the PIP's as well....but that's not as big a deal. And of course....the G2 Volt would easily handle your new 32-mile commute in electric mode......in your mild LA climate it might even make it twice on a charge.

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For HIDs, I have DDM Tuning kits for my car and my wife's car. Their bulbs may not be the best (color shift after 3 years normal?) but their newer slim ballasts seem solid. I had 2 of their older slim ballsts go bad, but they're lifetime warranty (bulbs too) and they have a store-front near my work. I heard good things about Kensun too, but no personal experience.

The PiP and regular Prius have the same suspension/brake setup.. no difference. Whatever fits on the regular Prius will fit on your PiP. Hit up the For Sale subforum, you could probably find someone who's willing to trade you if you really want.

10. Kenrico

Kenrico Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the PiP !

I bought one also two weeks ago , same color ! But without those lovely stickers ...

We were at the mall and the charge stations were like $10+ ...so we are not using any of that .

Wife gets to drive ours full time...heres to another great Prius experience !

Kenny

bisco likes this.
  11. dalmore

dalmore Junior Member

Really? I love the PiP wheels!! if I had a regular Prius I'd swap you! My speculation is that it's a direct swap. Nothing I've seen indicates there is any difference in the brakes, wheels, suspension between the PiP and the regular. Hmmm - let's see my neighbor has a regular Prius so maybe I can "borrow" his wheels for a bit and see.