1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Greetings, hybrid folk

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Classic_pri, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi -- glad to be here. We've got a first-generation Prius, and I'm always on the lookout for tech tips and the like for our "classic."

We bought our 2001 in September 2006 with 53K on the clock. My wife drives it, mostly, but I'm in charge of maintenance/troubleshooting. So far it's been highly reliable, although a few glitches have emerged, such as an occasional triangle of death. I cleaned the throttle body, and the problem hasn't returned. I also replaced the original gel battery with an aftermarket product after the original died.

I replaced the tires (old ones were Bridgestones with the steel belts hanging out) with plus-zero Goodrich Traction T/As. My feeling is that Toyota sacrificed traction, stability and safety for fuel economy when they slapped the original rubber on this car. The wider tires make the car handle a lot better, although it's still a Toyota. For the winter, I have a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSIs mounted in original fitment on steel wheels, which I highly recommend for snowy climates. Spend the money, be safe and do the favor for the other drivers around you.

I had the car in for service last fall (Russ Darrow Toyota in West Bend, Wis.) and rented a new Prius. Obviously Toyota has added a lot of refinement, most notablly some sound insulation. The 2001 sounds like the inside of a 55-gallon oil drum on a gravel road. Fuel economy seemed about the same, though.

As you may surmise, my attitude toward the Prius after 17 months is ambivalent. It's not a car I'd want to drive every day, but my wife likes it, and it is indeed reliable and economical. So I think it'll be in the driveway for a few more years.

That said, I think the electric car in general is going to loom large in the near future. I'll be truly sold when a carmaker comes along with a hybrid/electric that's as fun to drive as, say, a BMW 3 series. I don't think that'll take too long, but I don't think Toyota's the manufacturer that will do it.

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How many miles do you have on it now?

3. Classic_pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello Doc -- sorry I was so slow in replying. The car now has 73,600 miles on it.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Classic_pri! While this is a great site for all things HSD, be sure and check out the Prius groups on Yahoo. Many Classic owners got on line there first so there may be more info for you on Yahoo, though we have some Classic experts here too.

And you can always add sound deadening.

5. Classic_pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I appreciate the tip, Bill. I'll be sure to look into the Prius postings on Yahoo.