1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gremlins are real

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cap'n Steve, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Cap'n Steve

Cap'n Steve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi prius chat! I've finally signed up and now I'm posting about my own Prius issue. Maybe someone here has some insight?

Last night u parked for a min. Then went to turn it on and it was dead. I mean brick dead. No 12v, no lights, dings, nothing. I got out and stared for a bit. Tied to open the trunk, but that's an electric button. So I opened the passenger rear door to climb back. Oops, headrest can't go down...need to slide the front seat forward. I open the passenger front door and POOF, the car comes back to life. Wth?

Come to think of it, I've been having intermittent codes pop up that seem to be connected to someone getting in and out of the passenger side. It tells me to replace my hybrid battery pack. I have since put a new 12v in, and tested every cell in the hybrid pack...not one below 7.4v. So it looks like I have a ground or bcm issue? Where is that on this car? Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your last paragraph has a lot of revelations, lol.

How many miles on it? First owner? Can you be more specific about location, for climate, hilly vs flat, etcetera. How are you reading codes, and what specific codes? You've opened up the pack? And what is a "bcm"?

The safety switch on the hybrid battery in proper position?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    First thing; recheck your all 12v battery connections: both posts, the other end of the cables (especially ground), and the small harness connectors.

4. Cap'n Steve

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the responses guys. 184k miles. No idea how many owners before me. Using a cheap scan took for codes. P0A80. Driving all over San Diego county. BCM=body control module. What safety switch?

Fromoto- THE wire harness was very loose on the 12v. I tightened that down. Now the car doesn't die. But the door issue remains. When people get in and out on the passenger side, the car pops a bunch of warning lights. Including "check hybrid system." Usually, those all disappear in 3-8 seconds. No codes remain then. But it scares me every time. What in the world could cause that?

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    A short in the wiring harness leading from/back that particular door:rolleyes:

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Great!

Hmmm. See if the door sensor is the culprit. Open the door, turn the car on and push the door sensor (black rubber plunger). If not, check the wire harness from the door to the car frame.

7. Cap'n Steve

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been working 16hr days. I'll do this soon.

I will say that it's a bummer my primus only averages 35mph while I see so many guys in the 40s. My tires are at 40psi, and everything is stock. I'm not sure what's up. More gremlins I guess.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some heavy duty maintenance might be required at that mileage. i doubt the tires are original, what model are they?

9. AHappyOwner

AHappyOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 12V and high voltage cables from the trunk to the engine compartment run under the rear passenger seat. Maybe there is a problem with the cable and the seat is pushing on the cable and stressing it.