1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

grid charger 240v wall socket

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by ozmatt, Jan 29, 2016.

1. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi everyone, been lurking here on PC for a few weeks trying to soak up everything (battery related)

So .. would like to build myself a cheap "no fuss" (don't touch it bites) grid charger and was looking at the 350ma led drivers but in Australia we are blessed with 240v residential so maybe something easier could be baked up?

ps I have a reasonable understanding of battery fundamentals /charging and electronics in general.

Cheers

Matt

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.
    Kind of like jump starting a 12v battery with a set of jumper cables.
    Except you'd be using much high voltage.
    And you'd want convert the AC to DC.

ozmatt likes this.
  3. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi Eric thanks for reply!

like a diode bridge and a simple globe to choke current, I was kind of hoping there would be something cheap & easy I could buy "off the shelf" but nothing pre-built comes to mind, lazy

Thread moved! ..Sorry if I posted in the wrong category, most of my reading on here regarding traction battery maintenance has been in the technical discussion section so that's where I posted!. I should at this stage clarify I have no intention of "installing" the suggested charger to the car and it has nothing to do with PHEV kit or components of, my intention is to use this external to the vehicle as a workshop tool only for routine maintenance on the original Toyota traction battery. Sorry for any confusion.

#3 ozmatt, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A little bit of wire, a few wire nuts, and a two led drivers does the trick without much effort or money.
    Not sure it gets easier than that.
    Not very safe. But it will work.

ozmatt and S Keith like this.
  5. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    thankyou very much this is perfect, exactly what I need!

would the 700 or even the 1050 be too much grunt at high soc, should I stick with my original plan of 350 or 500ma

edit .. looks like the 100-350 is the only supply from this lot capable of output in the 240v range

matt

#5 ozmatt, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    thanks S Keith I appreciate your good advice

So although the output voltage is not variable on the cheap cc led transformers providing total output is 240v (minimum combined) at 350/500ma going over 240v total output will not be a problem? say the combined series output of two transformers was 300v or more the battery will adapt? the battery will only take what it needs so to speak, or the transformer will only give back what it gets (240 in = 240 out etc)

7. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    sorry about the jibber lol, you followed me good enough to answer the question!

I had concerns with the variable output voltage range of these transformers (143~286vdc) as they are non user adjustable, you said they are adaptive to load so that clears up any doubt I had.

yes I will definitely run the fan with a 12v 2a transformer if I ever do this in the car, I have two batteries on my bench to rebuild so I will be running a couple bench fans over the pack at high speed or maybe I could just pull the ducting and fan out of the car while I work on it.

I have two cars to rebuild packs for and further two salvaged packs to keep in storage so I need to set myself up for the long haul

thanks again S Keith I really appreciate your time

cheers

8. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keith, so this LPC-100-350 is a grid charger? Attach it to the battery pack and charge it on the shelf with a fan?

9. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you sir. I have several Prius parts cars so my intention is to build a couple bench charging stations with fans and ducting from those cars. I did look at your links but do not remember what the optimal charging temperature is. Do you know what that is off the top of your head? Again, many thanks.

10. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

#10 HBS, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  11. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    HBS,

Please check the "Quantitative" link in my signature.

Steve

12. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a couple of the LPC 100-350 chargers as well as the HA grid charger. I've got one charging station setup with a prius fan to cool the pack and started charging. Seems to be working very well. I replaced a bad module and started with a surface voltage of 214V. With the LPC chargers, after you reach your peak voltage, do you continue charging and if so for how long?

13. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    With adequate cooling, typically 5-8 hours after peak is achieved. It's not uncommon for it to pull back a little too. At 350mA, I frequently just do some arbitrary time like 24 hours.

HBS likes this.