1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grill blocking in mild winter temps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kalome, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically here in the Phoenix area the coldest it gets in the morning is mid to upper 30s for about 2-3 weeks in dec/jan for the low and 50s for the high. Half of November, Jan, Feb & March temps are around 40s for the low & upper 50s-60s high

With these temps is it worth grill blocking?...and how much of a MPG gain would I get?

2. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not many. I never even noticed lower mpg in winter during the 4 winters I had a Prius.

3. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This will be my first winter hypermiling. Last winter my mileage was worst than previous summer using AC, but I didn't hypermile at all last year.
    Dec-Feb was about 2-3 mpg worst than the summer months on average.

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's somewhat helpful; I see similar temperatures in the winter. It especially helps while it's first warming up. I bought two lengths of pipe insulation, and use it to block 75% of the lower grill (3 of 4 openings), and 50% of the upper (one short piece on each side) during the coolest part of the winter. It doesn't take much savings to recoup the $1.98 investment. :) I've been doing this since shortly into my first winter with the car, so I can't give you an amount - but I'd estimate probably 1 or maybe 2 mpg.

My summers are milder than yours, so I leave in 50% of the lower grill blocking year-round (with a ScanGauge to monitor temps). It does make a much bigger difference in colder states, where they have trouble getting the car up to and keeping it at the normal operating temperature.

One way you can tell some of the potential savings - how far from your starting point are you when the engine first turns off (generally, this is at 40°C)? The difference between your answer for summer versus winter is an indication of what could be saved. Not all of it will be, but maybe half or so. You'll also save more by reaching 70°C sooner, especially if you use pulse and glide - before 70°C, it's very hard to get much benefit from P&G, because the engine is often still running during your glide.

kalome likes this.
  5. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It does really help at warming faster and staying warmer

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Mac said, it can help at any temperature but the degree to which it helps is highly dependent on how cold it actually gets. I think if someone has a morning commute (especially before the sun is up) at temps even in the 40's and 50's grill blocking is definitely still worth doing...takes virtually no money or time.

7. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. If I decide to do it, i'll look around on this site and see how to do this.

8. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try it. It is $2 for the pipe insulation.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Note that it helps warm-up, so you get the best squish for your 2 bucks on shorter trips.

10. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading through the forum, Ken from Japan suggests for temperatures ranging from 41 to 64°F lower grill blocking 75% and upper grill blocking 50%. For temperatures ranging from 64 to 86°F lower grill blocking 75% and upper grill blocking 0%. These numbers are for Gen 3 Prii and I am just listing winter temperatures for Phoenix.

As to my understanding I will cut the insulation pipe all the way down the middle and cut vertical slits where necessary. Then insert the insulation pipe on the grill and that should hold it without using any adhesive. Could someone remind me the diameter insulation pipe that I will use, is it 1/8 of an inch or 1/2 inch?
    Also do you agree with Ken's suggestion on blocking percentage?

11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's 1/2 inch.

And yes, I think Ken's guide is a great guideline to go by. But for someone not using a scangauge or Torque you would want to stay on the conservative side of that and use some common sense. But I also think there is room to be a little more aggressive if someone is willing to monitor things with the above mentioned tools.

12. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Will I be monitoring FWT on SGII?
    Have you grilled block yet? If so, have you noticed a difference on your short trips with warm up stages?

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What is FWT? And yep grill blocking definitely helps, short trips more than long ones.

14. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Water/coolant temperature. What gauge do you use?

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On Torque I keep 6 different gauges up:
    3 for different temps (engine coolant, batt temp, inverter coolant) and 3 for electrical flow (amperage in/out of battery, SOC, AC watt usage)

16. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have Torque (whatever that is) so which gauge should I be using to monitor temps after grill blocking with a SG?

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Coolant temp is OK but that is mostly influenced by Outside Air Temp. Inverter temp or Inverter Coolant temp is mostly dependent on the use of the inverter. If you are on EV a lot then that temp will really climb compared to coolant temp. As a baseline inverter temp runs OAT + 20F.

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As Jim says just watch coolant temp and inverter temp if you are blocking anything on the top.

Torque is an app for Android phones. The setup is a fraction of the cost of SG and much more flexible with far more possibilities than SG.

In fact, to anyone really considering a SG that currently doesn't own any Android equipment I would recommend just getting the cheapest Nexus 7 tablet to use Torque on. Cost will be in a similar ballpark and you have a sweet tablet to use as well.

19. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just as a reference for someone who just did it this past weekend, it warmed up here this week and has been in the mid 50's going to work in the morning. I have gotten the best morning mpg the past 3 mornings with the lower grill blocked 100%.
    Part of that is me getting better at driving my Prius, but I couldn't have changed that much 3 days in a row, and I have gotten better the last 3 days in a row.
    It's in the low 60's to high 50's driving home at night and I have been getting even better mileage going home.
    I cannot compare to some people on this forum, but getting 58.6 mpg for me on my short 10 mile commute is awesome.

20. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for everyone's input, but quick question - is there a code on Xgauge/SG for inverter temp? Which gauge should I be watching and what is the safe temp range?