1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grill Blocking Summary Article

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by efusco, Nov 21, 2007.

1. offsides

offsides New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All the links go to the home page!

It appears that the forum has somehow had a software change, as all the links in this article take me to the PriusChat home page. I've looked at the URLs, and here's what I see:

Current, valid URLs on the forum look something like this:
    Code:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/39901-grill-blocking-summary-article.html
    The URLs in this document look like this:
    Code:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=27547&st=6
    So somewhere, the links became invalid and need to be updated. I have no idea how difficult this would be, but it may be darn near impossible. If so, I ask that the owner of the post (or a moderator) just add a note that the links are broken, so those of us new people don't tear our hair out trying to make them work :)

Other than that, great information - thanks!

2. BarbB

BarbB New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: All the links go to the home page!

yep i just found same problem trying to get to an article in a different post in the tehnical forum. it took me to the home page.

3. BarbB

BarbB New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The links don't work for me. They take me to the Prius Chat home page. Nothing on the home page in any way references the linked item. Sorry, because this stuff is really interesting. Thanks! -- Barb B

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    john, sorry to hear your mileage did not improve, but if its any consolation, this has been the coldest winter in years for our area. we have gone thru the past 3-4 weeks with temps averaging 4-6 degrees lower than normal.

i will post my lowest ever tank from two different cars and over 50,000 miles today... not part is a new driver, but she has been driving the Pri for 11 weeks and this is the worst so far.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Grille Blocking Summary Article

It appears as though the improvement is little to none when the temperature dips below 20°F. The results of January averaged to the same MPG as previous years.

So expectations should take climate into account. Here in Minnesota, we exceed a cold threshold... because my data certainly hasn't shown a difference.

There is obvious improvement when it's warmer though.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow, i guess in your case, you need to look at materials used, blocking methods, (make sure the nooks and crannies are blocked)...have you tried the insulation in the engine compartment? i think a few have tried that.

its not cold enough usually for me to go to that extreme. another grill blocking benefit is that cabin heat is available much faster. we are talking water temps at 150 within 3 minutes instead of 6-8... on a 15 minute commute like mine, that difference is key

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The research I do is for joe-average owner, not the Prius enthusiast.

Not going beyond the basics means I can reach beyond the scope of this forum via the very large number of User-Guide downloads every month... since some owners simply aren't the type to ever participate in online discussions, but they search & download & try stuff. KISS, ya know.

And even without seeing a MPG difference in the extreme cold, there is still that benefit of getting heat sooner.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Grille Blocking Summary Article

...which I am now seeing. Driving with a blocked grille at freezing point instead makes a huge difference in efficiency. I'm happy to report it jumping up 6 MPG.

So those that don't live in as hostile of an environment should definitely see the benefit. It's well worth the $2 spent on foam pipe insulation!

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been trying to tell people [notably mods] about the buggered
    link problem for a week now over in the website-questions
    section, but nobody's listening.
    _H*

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're listening Hobbit, and have replied to you. So that's really not a fair way to state that. Unfortunately this is in Danny's hands as none of the mods have the knowledge and/or permissions to make the adjustments you want/need.

11. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Greetings folks,

Based on the information in this thread and my first week with the new Prius, it looks like I can probably benefit significantly from blocking all or part of my grille. Around here, it's common practice for Diesel-fueled vehicles to block their grilles, and I've seen some folks with gasoline engines do it as well. From what I've seen there are some that sport a vehicle-specific, made-to-fit blocker. To the knowledge of the experts on this subject, is anything similar made for the Prius?

While I admire the look of the insulation tubing when done right, I fear that I don't have the patience of expertise to really do a good job with it. If there is something out there that is made to fit and has an 'OEM' look to it, that would be much preferable.

1 person likes this.
  12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't believe there is anything out there that is pre-made. I think the closest to OEM look is the one I used, though there are others who've made it just that much better looking with great attention to detail.

By using the foam insulation intended for exterior A/C use (dark and closed-celled foam), you get flexibility at low temps plus a very dark surface that simply "fades to black."

Here is the first posting I did with pictures.

This was a posting in Tony Schaefer's First Morning with a Blocked Grill post. My Grill Blocking Summary Article has all sorts of info about the various options, but the links were lost during the last upgrade, and have not been corrected. Perhaps I can get this done before next Winter!

a priori

1 person likes this.
  13. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Look at the thread and products by Hybrideffects. He is perfecting the item in question and there are some interesting pictures of the first production run after it was installed. Looks pretty good. Method of attachment is up to the buyer.

1 person likes this.
  14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At "low temps"? No. Sorry, but real winter is quite the opposite. Everything here gets bleached saltly white. So, cheapo gray works just fine... as shown here.

1 person likes this.
  15. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ?? Did I say something wrong? Offensive? I don't quite get the response, John. Certainly, you've got much more experience than I, but this winter the black foam worked pretty well for me.

Perhaps I should have taken some "after" pictures to show what the dark black looks like after a full winter. There is no doubt the "cheapo gray" works just fine, but I have heard of some people who have had the gray fall out or break. The black worked very well for me this past winter. It stayed in place and stayed "invisible" -- really just un-noticeable. We use salt in Chicago, too, (too much, really) and I didn't have any salty buildup during the winter. Further, the foam survived many automatic car washes.

It is true the black foam costs more, but I preferred the look against the chrome on top, black on bottom and silver pine mica color. I think it is just a matter of taste. I probably spent a few dollars more for the black, and it was worth the expense for me.

1 person likes this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's called playful banter. Your suggestion was just as valid as mine. But "one size fits all" responses never work for such a diverse market. So, interjection of another in a joking manner should have been anticipated. No harm darn.

I believe that comes from spanning multiple slots, instead of squeezing into a single one. Mine were squeezed last Fall and haven't moved at all sicne then, even from the car wash.

1 person likes this.
  17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, John. I'm usually a bit better than that!

No, one size does not fit all -- price, color and ease of application make a big difference. This is one reason I put together the summary article.

I think my general version comes fairly close to an OEM look, though I know there was someone who posted pictures of an even cleaner work. I believe it required much cutting and sizing, and I just wasn't into the effort of it all!

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there a possibility that we can get the links on the 1st post fixed?

I've now moved to WA state and the OATs when I do my drives are between 30 and 50F nowadays. That combined w/my ultra short drives now (~2 miles at a a time), makes me think I'd benefit from grill blocking.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Links updated. I couldn't find one link but the rest should be updated.

1 person likes this.
  20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    doing an experiment with the SPM. last tank posted was after winter formula change over and no grill blocking. filled and blocked grill, will see what the next tank does.

typical driving, in town, work commute 5 miles one way.

granted, weather will most likely be a bit colder, but we see

1 person likes this.