1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grillcraft installation - protection from stones

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by phoenixgreg, Dec 30, 2013.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the Grillcraft front grill set as a gift last week and decided to install it yesterday. The set comes with a couple of pages of instructions which clearly show how to remove the front bumper to do this. There is one harness for the turn signals on the driver’s side which was tricky to unclip. I suggest if anyone tries this to have plenty of old soft large soft towels to lie down on the pavement so when the bumper comes off, the front is laying on them so it doesn't get scratched.

I would say this is a tricky installation and over-simplified in the instructions. For the lower grill, I had to eventually unclip the OEM black plastic one before I could get the holes right to hold the new one in place. Spacing and centering is not easy for the lower grill. The upper grills were difficult too in that the top mounting holes were nearly impossible to access without first removing some of the plastic inner structure above them with a grinding tool. But I finally got a good fit and think these grills will protect the condenser coil from bugs and stones.

If you are good with tools and feel comfortable removing the front of the car, I’d rate this on a scale of 1 to 10, an 8 just because of the difficulties in working from the backside of the bumper skin and getting the proper spacing and centering of the pieces. I have some pictures here to show the process:
    Prius front grill 002.JPG Prius front grill 016.JPG Prius front grill 003.JPG Prius front grill 004.JPG Prius front grill 005.JPG Prius front grill 006.JPG Prius front grill 007.JPG Prius front grill 008.JPG Prius front grill 009.JPG Prius front grill 010.JPG Prius front grill 011.JPG Prius front grill 012.JPG Prius front grill 013.JPG Prius front grill 014.JPG Prius front grill 015.JPG

Derek_M, jgilliam1955 and frodoz737 like this.
  2. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's cool! I wonder how a black grill would look?

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice where did you get these
    its a perfect fit.
    can you get it for the prius c and yaris?

4. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it comes in black, but in my opinion, black grills would look best if your car had white or silver paint. Otherwise with darker car colors, the Grillcraft in black would tend to disappear (unless that's what you are going for).

5. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Flying White Dutchman...Here's the website: Grillcraft® - Genuine Sport Grilles - Welcome
    Unfortunately, I checked and at this time, they do not offer it for the C or the V.
    To your point though...recently at my dealership I got a good look at a C. Wow, the condenser coil is really exposed on that model.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no yaris HSD on there to ;-(

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When do the braces come off?

Just kidding.

I would think that would protect against rocks or stones. Good job.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  8. AllanM

AllanM New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the look. I may have to pick up a black set for my BP.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd remove the emblem because the emblem design makes it look like a craftsman bbq grill. IMO, there's no reason to draw attention to the grill so I'd go for a more discrete color combo like black on black, silver on silver (shown below), etc.

[​IMG]

10. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I seriously thought of this good-looking GrillCraft item last year. What held me off is the inability to easily grill-block in cold weather once this is installed. Of course, it all depends on the climate the car lives in.

11. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    phoenixgreg, thanks for the pictures, I have considered doing the same, I like the look. I have my lower grille to replace and the heads up on the wire connection is appreciated. I'll wait for warmer weather to take the front end apart, have my grille block on now.

12. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're welcome and to 32kcolors point, the small moniker on the lower grill that says "GrillCraft" is behind an attractive thick polymer and is not too noticeable. If you want a plain look without it, there are two screws behind it so it can be easily removed, if that's you preference. Good luck when you install yours - you will need some kind of small grinding tool (use carefully) to make access for the upper screws on the upper grills.

13. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  14. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Regrettably, the PIP Advanced model has fog lights inside the lower grille area - its daytime running lights and front turn signals live in the corner divots where the base Prius model has [space for] foglights. If that wasn't the case I'd spring for the silver GC grille, because the PiP-A has these nice silver accents that would match it well.

I've also been thinking that a solid-span grille like the GrillCraft one can provide an alternate solution for Winter grille blocking, by providing a nice solid framework to pin a solid (clear?) sheet of something - maybe Plexiglas? with strategic holes for small Zip-Ties in the corners. Too bad about those in-the-grille foglights on my model.

15. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Gaffer Tape.

16. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hah! Had to look that one up. Certainly would work.

17. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    greg,

do you think it is possible to remove the lower grille without removing the bumper?

I was studing your pics, and it looks like its a basic clip I was thinking something like a putty knife or regular screwdriver between the grille and bumper to release it from the front...

yes no?

18. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, I got the upper clips undone, but the bottom ones are proving to be stubborn...

19. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you say clips, are you referring to the OEM clips in the lower black plastic grill? They will eventually work free, just pry on them in sequence until they release one by one. Replacing it is a snap, literally :) I assume you removed the bumper skin first. This mod has to be done (if you have Grillcraft) with the bumper skin off.

20. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    clips/ tabs, yeah... but no I have not removed the bumper skin. i was hoping to remove the grille without pulling the bumper skin... the top tabs were easy. I was looking at your pics and it looks like the lower tabs are slightly different.

I want the grill out so I can use it to make a pattern for a carbon fiber one peice grill blocker

DadofHedgehog likes this.