1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grillcraft installation - protection from stones

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by phoenixgreg, Dec 30, 2013.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another option would be to remove the plastic skin under the car beneath the bumper to reach it from the back. That would mean jacking up your car and removing some screws under there and some plastic push-tabs. Once that is off, you could access the lower grill from behind as that's the only way to remove it from the bumper skin. The clips are only accessible from behind the grill.

MarcSmith likes this.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw the access plate... I migth try to make a pattern out of paper/cardboard before I do that. I though about using my car ramps, (rhino ramps) rather than jacks not sure the prius could get up those with out scraping.

Nice thing about removing the grill is that I could get a much better pattern. IE vacuum bag the carbon over the front.of the grille for a real nice final fit/finish

I have some 5.7ounce carbon twill on a roll from a model I was building and more than enough epoxy to try it... I figure I coudl do one layer of glass for the back side with the carbon on the front. it looks like there is enough of a gap to make tabs on the carbon and end up with a nice friction fit.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW your grillcraft looks nice. I do appreciate the pics and help.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  4. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks - based on what you want to do, it would seem the best approach is to first remove the OEM lower grill from behind. I think you could drive your Prius around without the plastic grill for a few days while you fabricate the block. You could probably leave off the lower plastic plate too as long as you are not going to drive it long distances or at high speeds, especially in snow. Hopefully, you have a heated garage to work in?

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    garage yes...heated no. but it look slike I'd only be outside for about 30 minutes taking it off.

I have a heated workshop for doing the carbon work. if I took it off friday after work. I'd be able to do the layup that night and be able to have it back on by sunday evening. that would give enough time for the carbon to cure, and remove it from the grill while its still a bit pliable

6. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is your block going to attach to the front of the OEM grill with clips? Just wondering the ease of applying it for winter and removing it for spring. I wish I could remember more about the shape of the OEM grill when it was out. I only needed it out so I could install the Grillcraft more precisely, which is mounted on the bumper skin, not the OEM grill. Good luck.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my orginal plan was to use zeus type clips...for a tool less change. but seeing the gaps around the edge of the factory grill lead me to believe that a friction fit may be possible.

8. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, I can no longer see my OEM Grill to see those gaps.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not a huge gap, less than 1/4" wide all the way around and nearly and inch deep but one layer of carbon/glass isn't that thick.

if the friction fit won't work, I then trim off the tabs.

On the outer 6"s of the left and right edges of the factory grill has some solid area where I think I could build it up enough to accommodate a zeus fitting.

10. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought of the zeus fasteners, like the idea, but used zip ties instead. I looked under the car and couldn't tell if the grille will come out without taking the bumper cover off, let us know if it works. I have a new lower grille to go in mine when the weather warms up, just hate to remove the cover to replace it.

11. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Supposed to be 44 on friday when I get home from work I'll give it a shot

I looked at trying to get access from the top but i don't think its possible. so pulling the lower panel might be the best option with pulling the cover.

I'll keep you guys in the loop

phoenixgreg likes this.
  12. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good news... with the front under the bumper plate removed, you are able to persuade the lower grille to come out.

i would highly recommend doing this when its warm out to allow the most flexibility in the bumper cover and the grill.

on the bad news side. once I got under the car I notices the oil filter cover flap dohicky is missing...

Attached Files:

13. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to hear you got the OEM grill out from the backside. Now you can fabricate the block more accurately. Yes, many have complained about the oil filter access door breaking from it's cheap hinge. So yours is totally missing? There are many threads here on how to remedy it.

14. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    definitely MIA.... so I took some measurements I figure if I'm going to be mixing up some epoxy, might as well make one out of carbon and fiberglass. it'll be the trickest oil filter cover in the land...:) I'll just fab up a flat plate and head to the local hardware store and get a piano hinge... I have some 1/4" gray flat plastic, similar to what you'd find on a hard side suitcase. but I think it would be too heavy and would result in the plastic cover sagging.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  15. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for the update, when the weather warms up, I can change my grille. Oil change door has been missing on mine since I bought it, didn't know that they were prone to falling off till I'd had it for a while so I've just left it that way.

16. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    .....one layer of glass and one layer of carbon...in 24 hours. it should be ready to come off the grill.

Attached Files:

phoenixgreg and DadofHedgehog like this.
  17. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I think I'm gonna like the looks of that, gives me some more ideas for mine. Keep the pictures coming.

18. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok so I cheaped out on the zeus fasteners... that might be worthy of a summer project. so for the short term I used zip ties. I had no black ones so I used white ones as pictured.

I'm not happy with the finish of the carbon. it could use some more epoxy and sanding, just to make it pretty.. but it should be very effective.

Attached Files:

phoenixgreg and xliderider like this.
  19. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So how did the new oil filter door come out?

20. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not make it... had some other stuff going on...I did not find any suitable hinge material at HD anyhow so I need head down to West marine and get a stainless hinge... and work on it another weekend.