1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grille Blocking Tutorial for Radiator Protection (w/Pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by burrito, Oct 25, 2021.

1. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So there are a number of threads discussing blocking the front grille for temperature reasons. There are also a number of users who have reported their inverter radiator becoming damaged from road debris, which has led to costly repairs. This is for the second group.

The following is a pictorial guide to gaining access to, and installing a mesh behind the front grille using zip ties. You do not need to remove the front bumper. The only tools needed are a Phillips screwdriver (preferably a short one) and optionally (but preferably) a 10mm socket. There is no need to remove the bumper, and no need to jack up the car.

During driving, rocks or other debris can enter the front grille and crack the radiator, causing coolant to leak out. This can lead to permanent damage of the inverter costing big bucks to repair. One quite simple solution is to install something which prevents such debris from contacting the radiator. I chose to use Gutter Guard, which is made of plastic. I bought the following from Ace Hardware for $3-4. It's not currently available online, but here's a link to Lowe's for $4:

IMG_20211024_112817.jpg

I already had the white zip ties, so I decided to use them. If you don't have any, you'll probably want black ones.

Remove the 3 fasteners with a pry tool highligted below:

IMG_20211024_112826.jpg

Then remove the radiator support opening cover:

IMG_20211024_113504.jpg

To avoid injury and to give yourself more room when reaching in, remove the hood latch mechanism. There are 2 x 10mm bolts. Be careful not to drop the bolts or the washers. It is possible to install the mesh guard without this step, if you don't have the tools.

IMG_20211024_120154.jpg

Remove the front Toyota emblem by removing the 2 metal screws shown. The following view is from the inside, toward the front of the car (the top of the picture is the top of the car):

IMG_20211024_120354.jpg

Emblem removed (it's rather flimsy):

IMG_20211024_120730.jpg

Measure the length of mesh required by holding it up to the front of the grille, and cut with scissors or wire cutters. If it's too long, it will bunch up inside. Insert it into place behind the grille.

IMG_20211024_121338.jpg

Secure with zip ties. This is by far the hardest part, as you'll have to hold it in place with one hand, while attempting to insert and secure a zip tie with the other.

Final view of the bottom portion (below the license plate):

IMG_20211024_124111.jpg

The 2 upper pieces will need to be separate, and they can be much smaller. I measured out one piece, then cut it in half lengthwise. Trim to fit.

IMG_20211024_130244.jpg

Secure with zip ties. Again, you'll be doing it one-handed.

IMG_20211024_132852.jpg

Reinstall Toyota Emblem, hood latch, and radiator support opening cover.

Final view of top:

IMG_20211024_132924.jpg
    ...and the bottom again:
    IMG_20211024_124111.jpg

Final Thoughts:
    This is a fairly easy and cost-effective method (total ~$5) to protect your Prius from an expensive repair caused by road debris. Obviously, black zip ties would be preferable. At this point, it would be pretty easy for me to put new ones in and then cut the white ones out.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice work, I also use mesh gutter guard from Lowe's, which I believe is plastic coated nylon or polypropylene.

Your install would look a lot better if you had rotated the square ends of the zipties so that they were on the backside of the mesh before cinching them tight.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

burrito likes this.
  3. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice! I've done that to our Honda Odyssey and Accord because they're prone to rock strikes to the AC condensor. Definitely doing a great job!