1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grim research

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 30, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Newly Discovered 'Brain Tsunamis' Provide Scientific Insight Into Biology of Death

A 2018 study may lend credence to what happens during the biological and irreversible death of the brain organ.

Published in the Annals of Neurology, the study inspected spreading depolarization of the human cerebral cortex and provided a better understanding of how the brain responds to energy depletion. Also for the first time, it showed the full electrophysiological signature of dying in the wake of circulatory arrest in the human brain.

Jens Dreier, the study's lead author and a professor at the Center for Stroke Research Berlin, told Newsweek that brain death, which differs from dying in the wake of circulatory arrest, occurs during continued circulatory function.

Normally I would post a link to the original paper but I've not found it. At age 72, I have a vested interest in what happens when I 'shutdown.'

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i need to have my carotid checked (n)

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm interested in the post-shutdown procedures....

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My final directive is: (1) three weeks of ordinary care looking for signs of brain activity, and; (2) then no fluids, food, and field strip anything useful for the living.

Bob Wilson

hkmb likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds familiar, although once I'm out of the OEM warranty period I'm not sure that there will be any useful pieces/parts left to scavenge.

I told my CFO to arrange to have my ashes shot out of a torpedo tube or, probably much more likely, a submarine TDU (Trash Disposal Unit.)

This request was rejected with authority, so my current plans are for a pine box and green embalming followed by being deposited in my church cemetery. There are monks in my beloved home state that build very high quality pine boxes.
    The taxpayers are on the hook for one grave marker, but we will be buying the traditional headstone soon enough.
    I'll try to come up with something pithy for the inscription before the time comes.

My church very wisely provides plots in lots of 4, and the running joke is that there will be room for the replacement spouse....or two.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  7. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bisco likes this.
  8. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... 9/11, all those people jumping from the Twin Towers? They didn't die hitting the ground.

Your brain's primary behavioral function: protection. When death becomes imminent, it commences a proprietary shutdown procedure. When something traumatic happens, your brain's done the calculus, it knows it's mathematically certain death is imminent? But, benevolent deity, some freak circumstance happened, and you don't?

That happened to me.

Slapped repeatedly across the face, I was revived by a Porsche engineer, who'd seen this happen to test drivers several occasions before. That old German guy had a term he used for it. He said something in German which was translated to me as, that I was freight-blinded.

I guess perhaps it's like being in shock, and afflicted .temporal amnesia. But, no recollection whatsoever to this day of my certain death experience, my brain took its eraser, wiped every single trace of that incident. It wiped nothing else.

Funny thing about it, now I see certain things I'm not supposed to see. Since, my memory's razor sharp. I remember every telephone number and previous address, back to my kindergarten - asj.

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    deleted

#9 dbstoo, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial, should that read "fright-blinded"?

Merkey likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not if it was the train coming at you that did it :cool:

Merkey and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an important bit. I'm delighted to hear it.

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is really interesting. It's one of those things we know so little about.

Perhaps it wasn't up when you first posted. I think this is it.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ana.25147

Terminal spreading depolarization and electrical silence in death of human cerebral cortex - PubMed

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to go the Taiwanese route.

You're folded into an oil drum and put on the back of a pick-up truck. The pickup truck has huge loudspeakers and plays disco music. It drives around the city playing the music, while dancers of your chosen gender in skimpy swimwear dance around your body.

The one change I'd make to that is that, instead of the oil drum, I'd like a Ghanaian coffin, possibly in the style of a pie. Ghanaian coffins - in pictures | World news | The Guardian

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Burial at sea is a very solemn and moving ceremony, done that many times. Often done off of a destroyer hunting some of your friends later in the day.

My wife asked for her burial to be next to her father so grave site bought, headstone up, name and birth date carved. Just waiting for the final date. Kinda weird to see your own gravestone.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Fright blinded" sort of describes my experience with temporary amnesia at least a couple times under very high stress, but thought it was related to disruption of the brain processes that move memories into short term storage, then to medium term, finally to long term. But since this didn't include a catatonic immobility during that period, it may be unrelated to what that German engineer was referring to.

The worst of my amnesias came with the news of the untimely death of my first father, when I was in elementary school. While my siblings have quite vivid memories of that day, including all of us kids sleeping (or trying to) with mom in her bed that night, my memory was completely blanked out. I do remember the instant it finally snapped back on, at the very first street crossing on the walk home from school, the following week. I've been told that I informed the class of this loss as part of daily 'show and tell', but that happened before the long term memory processing step resumed functioning. At least four days were not recorded.

A much shorter example happened in junior high school PE, where we were forced to do a pole vault with grossly insufficient instruction, and I was terrified of injury. I remember holding the pole horizontally at the start line, then holding it vertically while standing on top of the landing cushion, with no idea of what happened in between. This amnesia lasted just seconds, and I was immediately aware that those seconds were not recorded. The instructor was saying something to me as I walked back to the bench, but the brain's language processor had not resumed functioning, so I was having no clue what was said.

#16 fuzzy1, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  17. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    base jumpers
    sky divers
    car/train/plane/motorcycle crashes
    partial drownings
    cavers
    etc

i remember several cases that could have resulted in "off button" happening, but the result was very vivid memory, instead of blank spots.