1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grinding sound upon startup?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swich2mac, Feb 9, 2010.

1. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From time-to-time, I have noticed that when I push the power button on my Prius, I get this obnoxious grinding/clicking sound for couple of seconds prior to the ICE kicking on. It appears to have a "plastic" sort of sound like maybe from the electric motor. Have any of you all noticed this as well?

2. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    You may be referring to the sound from the motor/generator(MG). The Prius doesn't use conventional starter. The engine is spinned to a normal running speed in fractions of a second by the MG upon start. You might have heard the sound due to a very cold engine state after parking the car at outdoor overnight. If you have installed the engine block heater like I do, the noise could disappear. If I forgot to plug in it the night before, I could hear the "grinding" noise for about 1/2 - 1 second upon engine start. The noise doesn't seem to be there if I use the BH. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You are correct. It only happens on a very cold day when I first start up the vehicle in the morning. Thank you again for your response.