1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grippy Tires/Rims for a prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Higgins909, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got Douglas 195/65-15 on what is a nearly completely stock Prius. These tires suck, especially in the rain. It is usually very difficult to turn onto roads without chirping/breaking loose at least one wheel. (when you need to get on it) This is way worse in rain. The main reason is traffic... No one wants to wait forever to turn onto a 55-60mph street. Then it's the way the CVT "Drops the Clutch" when you try to give it any kind of gas from a slow speed or stop. (I'm sure I sound like a bad driver here... But it's a slow pace car in fast pace traffic, so to speak) It's nerve wrecking when you think you can make a turn onto a road, but end up spinning your wheel and unable to get up to speed and you end up cutting off another driver. (rain)

Either way, I'm looking for tires with way better grip and possibly new rims to go along with those. I'm not sure if I should go to 17" rims or not, or maybe the stock rim but a wider tire or stock width tire. Does anyone here know anything about adding grip to a prius?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have consistently used high quality Low Rolling Resistance tires in the stock size. Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohoma, etc. No hydroplaning, no chirping, no issues.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Measurement wise how much tread are left on the tires? If it’s low then that could be why you’re spinning. And psi for tires?

4. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They've only got 5.5k~ on them (as far as I know) Tread is still very deep. One tire has a plug in it. The max psi is 51. I was running 46F 44R, but then it started raining along with cold temperatures and was having a scary time and went back down to 35F 33R. I can take measurements tomorrow morning, if need be.