1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gritty Residue on End of Dip Stick?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kevelev, Dec 25, 2018.

1. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I did some research and decided to use the AMSOIL 0W-20 Signature Series full synthetic oil. This website MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA | 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths provides nice numeric data for oil testing, and AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 scored number 2 overall, being the best motor oil tested that was used just out of the bottle. Anyway I thought I would give it a go as it said it would last for 25000 miles. So I drove 10,000 miles, changed the filter with a NAPA Platinum, and then drove another 10,000 miles. I then changed the oil at 20,000 miles and sent in a sample to Blackstone, giving me an extra 5000 miles to spare as a safety from the rated number. Here are the results:
    upload_2018-12-25_13-31-8.png

As you can see the results show that the oil worked very well. The question I have was why I am seeing some residue on the tip of the dipstick? It only is on the very tip, as if it sank to the bottom. I'm not sure if there is a some kind of recess that residue could get trapped there in the dipstick hole that would remain even after an oil change. It's a very fine grit but it's hard to tell what it is because the amount on the tip is so small. I've seen it there ever since getting my car which had 60K miles when I bought it. It was well treated by the previous owner and I've babied it ever since I got it. I started using Mobil 1 Extended Performance and then switched over to AMSOIL. Anyway I don't think it has anything to do with the oil, because it's been there ever since I owned the car and there was no indication of anything going wrong in the test report. So does anyone know what this residue is? I know it's probably time to clean out the intake and replace spark plugs, so maybe that's related?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What does your drained oil look like, say if you swirl some in a clear glass. Can you see stuff swirling at the bottom, or too dark to tell?

I'd guess some carbon build up coming loose?

jerrymildred and Bay Stater like this.
  3. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The oil looks fine, and it's dark since it picks up soot etc. You can't see anything swirling around. Maybe it is carbon build-up.

4. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    With your report showing 4000 ppm of various elements, could that account for a bit of grit?

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would drain the oil through a good paint strainer. Then if you find particulate matter I would take a stong magnet and test the captured material for any ferrous metals. If you do capture any material, I would send it to a lab for analysis. In any event the filter should be able to trap any particles the size that you are discribing. Have you opened the filter for inspection? In conclusion, there shouldn’t be any gritty material in the oil pan.

6. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To be honest, it may not be gritty at all. It's hard to describe because it's so fine, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do a 5,000mi OCI next time with another brand oil and see if the residue develops on tip @ 5Kmi. If no residue then you'll know Amsoil was the culprit.