1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grocery store shelves are being emptied all over the country...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, Mar 14, 2020.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    it would if they were goose eggs.
    ;)

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope the COVID-19 pandemic is well under control by the time those chicks start laying eggs. 5-8 mo into the future.;)

fuzzy1 likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE="Stevewoods, post: 3022213, member: 123394"I tried to talk her into growing "hemp" -- you know -- for the "war effort," but she just glared at me. Honestly, it has been so long, I am not sure I remember what to do with "hemp." :whistle::whistle::whistle:[/QUOTE]

I was going to say "hemp" is about the only thing I have not tried for my various pains but, I nearly forgot, I did try CBD lotion in spring 2019 and found no relief. My physical therapist as well as a couple of my MD's still recommend sativa/indica (you know, "hemp") but my job (if I still have one after all this) says: Nope no Dope.

The way it is around here, I am surprised marijuana is not sold in grocery stores. Of course, here, we don't let you pump your own gasoline and we don't let you buy booze at the supermarket, either.

#464 cyberpriusII, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You, sir, have NOT seen my hounds eat!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Up here, they run from $6-7/dz depending on size (extra large is closer to $7.50. $6.xx is for medium and large is around $7.12).

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Down here, hippie free range (or is it range-free ;) ) hens can run around for more than 2 months out of the year without turning into frozen chicken.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    CDN $'s though? Currently around 0.71.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    walked by a whole foods this morning, people lined up in the parking lot, no separation :rolleyes:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    social distancing doesn’t apply to full contact sports

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am going to check out the Sams Club concierge shopping tomorrow where they take your order from the car, shop, & deliver the goods to your car. I am senior enough to try that,

Merkey and bisco like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I found, shopping day before yesterday (first time in about 18 days): I had to make a number of compromises, substitutions. Going in you can make changes on-the-fly.

Depends on the store, how dependable their supply is. Also, shopping first thing in the morning during "senior hour", the staff had done an excellent job: many items were obviously in short supply, and there was some unusual brands, and supplies pretty meager, but they were really trying to get some out. Later in the day they'd likely be cleared out.

I would concentrate on "hunker" items. Brown rice for example, a bag of that can be a life saver when the the perishables run out.

I'm kinda losing patience, with folks (my family members included) who continue to rely on take-out, shop day-by-day. This isn't a game, and every contact messes with the odds.

#472 Mendel Leisk, Apr 6, 2020
    Merkey, fuzzy1, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's funny how fixed in our ways we can get. mrs. b obsesses over the least little thing they don't have in stock.
    i'm like, whatever, is there food?
    but i have other problem areas.:oops:

delivery coming tonight, no paper products, no cleaning supplies

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody still doing some take-out, by choice?

I have a friend who was planning to order take-out one time a week, cycle through the favorite local joints, help keep them solvent.

I did that a couple times. Been more than a week now though.

Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I haven't either for over a week myself. Self preservation has taken over now. :(

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. Rabbit River Farms organic free range eggs.

I've been going about once a week but mostly for fresh produce and meat but otherwise, I have the staples at home so I guess alternatively I could do frozen foods and canned goods but I dropped the ball on frozen veggies (none in stock right now) so fresh veggies it is!

It seems more crowded now than 2 weeks ago so I think it's riskier now to go out. Frankly, I thought doing take out (And keeping your favourite restaurants in business) works since there's rarely another customer in the restaurant when you pick up. If there is, just wait outside until they leave.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't have many restaurant meals when home, so our complete lack of take-out since getting home 18 days ago (from an aborted ski trip) is not the least bit abnormal.

The losers of our business are the restaurants at our intended ski tourism towns and along the road trip routes, where roughly 1/3rd of our dinners would be out. And the grocery stores supplying the goods for the meals we eat in. And the lodging providers. And the ski resort worker bees.

But we are supporting the local grocery stores now, buying close to the same stuff and quantities as if nothing unusual happened. Spouse fully restocked on TP with a new case several weeks before the trip began (a few days before the panic buying started), as the prior case was down to half. I also grabbed some opportunistic stock-up items on Costco sale back then, which the spouse questioned at the time, but let go after the first reported panics.

Though grocery shopping quantities and choices are about the same, her number of trips has sharply reduced, cutting sale-seeking and shifting towards one-stop shopping.

#477 fuzzy1, Apr 6, 2020
    jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I scored some 500 mg chewable vit C my last outing. And..., a turkey. :)

Yeah a lot of meals are some sort of sauce poured over some carb. A fair bit of frozen meats, rolled oats for breakfast, or fried potatos, eggs and sausage.

We'll be waddling out of quarantine, lol.

Raytheeagle and Tideland Prius like this.
  18. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of our local restaurants is doing take-out and delivery. In addition, they are also doing grocery delivery for elderly people living in the town as well. Not sure if they are charging for that service or not, but a very nice gesture. Unfortunately, we live too far away.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not here. At least for my household.

Our Governor's Stay-At-Home Proclamation explicitly lists walking, running, hiking, and biking as "essential activities". While many State Park and trailhead and beach parking lots had to be closed to control overcrowding and severe social distancing violations, from the huge number of people out of work and school, many (not all) of the open spaces beyond are technically still open for those willing to hoof it in from home or distant parking.

We are doing a lot of bicycling from home, though needing to get more creative about alternate routes to avoid the most popular bike-walk paths, which crowd up too quickly. Fortunately, with car traffic way down, the non-arterial residential streets are very quiet. Especially the streets with 'traffic calming' obstacles such as planter circles in the intersections. Today we noticed more kids than normal playing out in those streets. This is a great time for street-averse bicyclers to practice up on their street riding.

Over the weekend the wide arterial along the Seattle waterfront tourist attractions was wonderful. With tourism and the cruise industry shut down, there was little vehicle traffic, so bicycles essentially owned the outer lanes, the few cars sticking to the center lanes. And the few pedestrians on the sidewalks didn't have to share space with bicycles. And the nearby port operations were also not working that day, making East Marginal Way a pleasant truck-free ride, for once.

jerrymildred, Mendel Leisk and Merkey like this.