1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grooving Heads for increased efficiency??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Justdidit, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Think this is 'snake oil' or another wives tale??

Why is it when someone tries something different than the norm...is most everyone so pessimistic? If manufactures ALWAYS made the cars perform the best of their ability...aftermarket performance part companies would not be so rampant with vehicles OUTPERFORMING oem specs..

2. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's not lump "doing something that flies in the face of decades of experience" with "trying something different".

I mean, if someone put a 100 lb chunk of lead behind the front bumper to lower his car for better aero, would you jump on the nay-sayers then too? Sure, 100 lbs of lead is "trying something different" but could you fault anyone for pointing out the flaws in that design?

There's a reason why folks port and polish their flow path, instead of chopping it to bits with various wind vanes & pipe threads. That reason has been known for decades. Let's not pretend this is untested theory.

3. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    port and polish has some logic to it. also it has been dynotested several times and the Ideea behind it is that its a labor intensive process, not assemblyline feasable/ cost effective so thats why the factory does not get into it, I read throu that article the writer makes some claims to performance by the seat of the pants, if anything I can tell you without a doubt that head is weaker now and those grooves pictured is where stresscracks are going to show up soon, I dont remember the numbers anymore nor care enough to look them up but there are some considerable presures and temperatures inside a cylynder especialy at 11:1,
    bottom line, head design/shape makes a diference ex hemi versus flat top, and those grooves are no diferent they make a diference too, just not a good one, at least I dont see it, remember the tornado? or all these sparkplug designs, mostly snake oil however they were designed arround a princypal, bee it vortec, fuel atomisation, flame propagation, like I mentioned before I can't fathem for the life of me what the first guy to do this was thinking, hey bubba what do you think would happen if I cut some grooves in this head? I don't know try it, and while you're at it that port looks like 2 inch, I think junior has a tap for that in the shed