1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grossinger Toyota Chicago pulled bait & switch.....

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by citygirl, Mar 21, 2011.

1. citygirl

citygirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Decided that I'd rather not have a Prius if the only way to get one (reasonably) is to deal with a dealership that blatantly disregards common courtesy and does not honor their own quote. I will say that USA.com/zag has been remarkable to work with & resolve this situation. Buying an Audi a3 instead. Mileage is 30/42, so while lagging behind the Prius, it is substantially better than what I have now.....
    Thanks for all of the helpful tips, etc. Great forum!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bummer. I'd personally steer clear of the A3 or most VWs/Audis for that matter due to lack of reliability. I posted about CR's predicted reliability of the A3 at http://priuschat.com/forums/lexus-hybrids/91209-my-ct-200h-test-drive-last-night.html#post1283335

Since you mention 30/42, keep in mind diesel is more expensive than regular unleaded most of the year and is now per AAA Fuel Gauge Report. Per http://www.eia.doe.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=9&t=9
    Since it sounds like efficiency is important, perhaps consider some cars at Most fuel-efficient cars or Best & worst cars review, fuel-efficient vehicles, esp. those that don't require premium or diesel and also have at least average reliability.

1 person likes this.
  3. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would let Toyota Corporate know the type of dealer they have. May not (probably won't) mean anything, but it might make you feel better ...

1 person likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's too bad. I've hung around this forum and enough automotive forums as a whole to hear too many horror stories about people and dealerships. I have my own stories...

I guess the only thing I'd add is that truthfully it's not limited to any single particular brand, or even any particular dealership. I'm convinced that "how" vehicles are purchased needs to change within the industry.

Right now, it's a crapshot as to what type of approach you will be met with when you walk on a dealership lot, and too often the whole buying process deteriates into a negative and advesarial experience.

In your case? I'm sorry you gave up on getting your Prius. I have to think it was the vehicle you wanted #1, because it was the vehicle you first went to purchase.

Right now, I think is a difficult time to purchase a Prius, as I think you have limited supply, and "some" dealerships taking advantage of an upswell in demand. Some dealerships wondering how much they can "get" for a new Prius instead of simply selling them, with a reasonable and honest profit attached.

Enjoy your new car, and too bad about your dealership experience.

1 person likes this.
  5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Citygirl,

Trade-ins are the thing car dealers play the most devious games with. Its best to get into a position where you can hold onto the vehicle you want to sell , till after you buy the new one. Then sell the used car independantly. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but the usual $/hour rate for your extra effort is generally worth it!

1 person likes this.