1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ground clearance for American and Canadian Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Wilton, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Wilton

Wilton New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope everyone doing great in Summer time.

I am living in Vancouver BC Canada (a beautiful city and one of the most expensive gas in North America........). I currently own a Rav4 Hybrid and I love it so much. I am considering to buy a car for my wife, I believe Prius is a good choice for her. However, when I check the specs on Canadian Toyota web site. I found the ground clearance of Canadian Prius is slightly difference from American Prius. I wonder if it is only a typo or it is actually difference. I know it is only a small difference, 5.1 for FF Prius and 5.3 for AWD Prius in the USA. On the other hand, all FF and AWD Prius's ground clearance are 4.8 (sorry, I am a newbie in here, I am not able to include links in my post). I understand that I have no choice and have to buy Canadian models, but still wondering why. Since I am not actually buy it now, I didn't go to any dealership for details (not feel too comfortable in any dealerships.....). If anyone knows the answer. Please let me know. Thanks a million!!!

Have a very good day.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s 5.1” for the Prius and 5.3” for the AWD-e. The 4.8” should be for the Prius Prime (unless you want AWD, the Prime will be very close in price after the $4,000 EV incentives).

Technically you can import a US model if you wanted (and many have when the dollar was on par).

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Just reading the forums over the last day, I decided to look into taller tires that would fit the stock wheels later on when I need them just for clearance alone.

Then, just this afternoon, it wasn't bottom-to-pavement clearance I needed, but bottom-to-water. We had flooding rains come through like I haven't seen for a good while. Helluva week to have traded in the truck for a Prius, lol.

4. Wilton

Wilton New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for the replies.

It is too bad that I can't put a link (from Toyota website) here since I am a newbie. Otherwise, I can show you that the 4.8 clearance is not only for Prime and also for regular Prius and AWD Prius.

Speaking of Prime, I seen one yesterday in front of a Costco on my area. Me and my wife LOVE it very much, the Prime driver proper thought we want to steal his car......Anyway, if I qualify for the 4k incentive (thanks Tideland Prius) and the price is not much difference from a regular Prius, that will be very nice, I am living in a condo and I cannot charge my vehicle on my parking stall, but 2 charging stations are sitting one block away from my condo, it is not very bad (not convenience though.....). My Rav4 got AWD too, but I don't know how to use it anyway. Well, I need to go to a Toyota dealership as soon as the time comes, but import a car from the USA? Sorry, I didn't even imagine that.......

Hi Dave, I hope the flooding rain didn't affect you too much, I hope you still have your Prius and more people in this forum.

Thanks a lot and have a good one!!!!

Mambo Dave likes this.