1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ground Clearance issues--Will it scrape all the time?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by momto4girls, Jan 10, 2017.

1. momto4girls

momto4girls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I currently own a 2009 Matrix (daughters' drive), a 2015 Tacoma (hubby drives), and a 2013 Camry (I drive). I am seriously considering a 2016 Prius 2. (3rd daughter just turned 16, so she's getting the hand me down Matrix) Here's my concern: My driveway is sloped all the way to the road. If I back my Camry straight out, the back end will scrape. I think it's the exhaust pipe. If I back out at an angle, nothing scrapes. It's fine--not a problem. The front end of the Camry is also very low, and scrapes occasionally. Not my driveway, but I live in a very hilly region of Alabama, so there are plenty of awkward entrances an exits to gas stations, fast food, friends' driveways, etc. Will I regret buying a Prius?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on where you drive - I haven't scraped yet. All I can measure it by is that it's MUCH better than my previous car, a 2011 FORD FIESTA sedan, and a little better than my 2008 FOCUS Hatch.

momto4girls likes this.
  3. MediaAxe

MediaAxe New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've had zero issues or close calls.

momto4girls and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you ask the salesperson to take it and let HIM/HER try it in places where you've got concerns.

momto4girls, RCO and MediaAxe like this.
  5. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies. That's reassuring. I will talk to the salesman about it, too.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I may.....
    I would believe NOTHING that a salesperson says, especially if you're unfortunate enough to be buying from a SE Toyota dealer.

Tell them to shut up, fasten the seatbelt and take the car for a thorough test drive to include places like nearby driveways, some drive-thru's, and maybe your driveway if you live close enough.
    You may also want to check with some of the larger car rental places.
    Hertz used to rent specialized vehicles and they used to have a "tree-hugger" group, although I understand they didn't call it that when the customer was around.

Find out if any of the big rentals have Priuses in their fleet and get one for a weekend.
    This will give you real-world data on a car that's been driven for a while and it will allow you to explore the many facets of Priusdom without having to subject yourself to the tender mercies of the thieves down at the dealer.

Lastly?
    Cast a wide net.

There's a regular poster here that lives in Huntsville, and if memory serves me correctly, he's bought a G2, G3 and is now on a G4 and (again, if memory serves) he tends to buy in markets other than SE Toyota group. (bwilson4web)

Look in other states and make a weekend adventure out of the buy!

Good Luck!

Edit: Found this: (Didn't see if they had them in AL)
    Car Rentals from Budget

#6 ETC(SS), Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    momto4girls likes this.
  7. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had zero issues with the car scraping. However, sidewalks that have larger than standard curb heights can "interface" with the chin spoiler.

RCO and momto4girls like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    the prius is pretty low, and scraping may be an issue. a camry scraping means a pretty steep angle.
    definitly test it on your driveway before making the investment.

Burna J, RCO and momto4girls like this.
  9. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this is what I'm referring to. I know it will happen occasionally--I just don't want it to be an everyday occurance. Unfortunately the Prius I'm considering is out of town, so I wont be able to test drive it to my house. And the dealership is located in a very flat part of Huntsville. Sigh. I'm going to go in early before I test drive, and scope out the area--see if I can find a "challenge" for the test drive. I think it will be fine. No worse than my Camry. My husband took a tape measure to a local dealer after hours and measured the front and rear ground clearance. We both "eyeballed" the distance from the very front and rear of the car to the tires. The rear of the Prius doesn't concern me as much--it's the chin spoiler that may be an issue.

RCO, bisco and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you mean Huntsville Alabama user bwilson4web is close by. He might be able to suggest some test locations I've you PM him. Otherwise let us know and I can tag him in a posting so he will respond to this thread.

momto4girls likes this.
  11. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've had my 4 touring for less than 2 months, driving very carefully on city streets ONLY, and the bottom already looks like this .. Had a gen 3 for 7 years years, drove out dirt roads, along river banks with 3 passengers, etc... And never pulled the plastic plates and bolts out of the front end.
    image.jpeg

Pulse07, momto4girls and RCO like this.
  12. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! Tucatz, do you know what is causing this? Is it parking and hitting the curb or something else? I had the same issue with my old Honda minivan. You wouldn't expect to have trouble with a minivan, but they scrape, too. I went ahead and bought the Prius. The price was right, and I was desperate for reliable transportation. I have backed out of and pulled into my driveway several times with no problems. For the first time this afternoon, I heard a ((just a little)) scrape as the front end made contact with my driveway while pulling in. Same thing my minivan would do. So with my Camry it was the rear of the car, and with the Prius the issue is definitely the front of the car. I'm just going to have to be careful. I have to take it really slow pullin in to my driveway--and it's fine. And I haven't scraped anywhere else--yet... So, we'll see. I remain hopeful. ;) Thanks for all the responses!

RCO, Prodigyplace and krmcg like this.
  13. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You hit something. Or someone else who drove it did (throws shade on significant other).

14. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If I didn’t always back in when parking, my 2016 Prius Three Touring would definitely scrape the concrete wheel stops in the garage at my office. Fortunately, the ground clearance is much higher in the rear, and the backup camera seems to work well.

I did have another unit (a Four Touring, I think) scrape the pavement leaving a dealer’s driveway on a test drive; I was going slowly, and the salesman said it happened a lot.

15. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a little P.S.--with our convoluted family of 4 kids. My twin daughters are now sharing my Camry. Their Matrix is not running right, so we let them take my car back to college. That's why I was desperate for reliable transportation. I also have a 16 year old who will drive the Matrix once my husband figures out how to fix it. 4 daughters= $$$$

RCO likes this.
  16. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I live in Florida and took it through a very hilly area of Georgia and Tennessee (2000 mile road trip) and I was surprised I never scraped once but if your scraping in a Camry I would be very concerned myself. Ok, an update I checked underneath of my Prius and have no scrape marks but also have been very careful when pulling in and out of steep drives when on the road trip or any other place I thought I might have issues and have just over 10k on the odo.

#16 robsnyder20, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  17. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would depend on the year of the Camry. The rear of our 1996 Camry was horrible for dragging when entering or leaving some driveways.

RCO likes this.
  19. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It's possible I hit something on the highway. The streets of Oakland are littered with . . . Litter (4 by 8 sheets of plywood, dumping, potholes, dead animals, etc). But more likely the damage under my front spoiler was due to a parking bumper (what do you call these things). I wonder why these things are even installed in parking lots- just low enough to not see them, drive up over them. Just tall enough to catch the bottom of your nice little sedan and pull it apart when you back up. Ouch!

RCO, William Redoubt and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the case with our 3rd gen front end, especially with curbs with a space beyond: the front end bevels progressively down, front-to-rear, then abruptly climbs again, about 6" in. You can push on and over such a curb, then it snags and tears on the abrupt climb at the back, doesn't want to pull back off.

upload_2017-1-13_14-1-14.png

RCO likes this.