1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Group Buy in Tri-Cities, WA

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lauren80ryan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay. I am seeing how many on here are interested in doing a group buy in Tri-Cities, WA or wherever in WA that they will do this. I'm not sure what kind of deal we could get and I'm not sure how that works if every dealer is only given so many 2010s from the first shipment.
    Maybe we'd have to wait an extra couple weeks but then save $1,000 or so?
    Let me know if anyone is interested. I have an appointment with our Toyota dealership at 4 pm today.
    If anyone else is rushing out to order as well, check and see if they are willing to wheel and deal for 4 or more buyers.

It can't hurt to ask! :D

2. profunctional

profunctional New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    lauren, sounds like a great idea. Have you considered posting this on gotogroupbuy.com? Might be able to pick up some additional interest there. What do you think?

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is anyone considering this in Chicago? I would be in, and willing to help coordinate the efforts.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you heard any updates on the possibility that the WA sales tax exemption might disappear, as part of the state's budget balancing efforts? This would influence my participation and buying schedule.

5. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was still alive when I checked a couple of weeks ago. We should know something definitive this week or next when they finalize everything.

6. patflanagan

patflanagan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am in the south subrbs of chicago and am planning on buying a package IV and would be interested

7. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm definately interested in saving potential $$$ on a 2010 Prius V with optional Nav. Pkg.

8. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I 'd be interested but ...........

I just bought an '09 late last year and I suspect I'd take a kicking on a trade-in.

I would like to see what you/your dealer says though.

Thanks for doing this. By the way, our daughter and her family live in West Richland so we're down there quite a bit.

9. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Curious to know what you found out w/ your afternoon visit to the Toyota dealer. Frankly, what with a newly redesigned model about to hit the dealerships, I'd be surprised if they didn't tack on a premium charge let alone selling a unit at MSRP.

11. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OKAY UPDATE!!!

Dealer here in TC is just charging MSRP. however, all he can do is put us on wait list. I am #1 so if you hurry in or call, they will take a $1000 deposit (fully refundable) and put you on the list. But he has NO IDEA what packages, options, colors, etc. he will be getting. So he can't do any group buy options because he has no way to guarantee what/when cars will be coming in so we would all be purchasing at different times. However, they will do "referrals" and you get cash rebates for referring people. So we could tag each other and if Martin37 says I referred him, then Chris11 says Martin37 referred him, etc. That's about all they can do.

For wait list, the way it was explained to me is: I want a package #3 with sunroof and I am #1 on wait list. When first car comes in (late May), dealership will call me and offer it. But it's a package #4 with nav and I don't want that, so I decline. Then person #2 on wait list also declines, but person #3 says perfect!! So person #3 now gets first prius from them. When 2nd car comes in, I get the call, and on and on. Make sense?

I would highly recommend getting on a wait list somewhere. If it is the same process, there shouldn't be a problem getting a 2010 at MSRP in June...as long as you are willing to be flexible esp. on color.

Any more details? private message me and I'll do my best to answer. :)
    ~lauren

12. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We were told that this is being considered but we should know FOR SURE at least 4 weeks before it is implemented. Which will give people time to decide between being marked down 09 for $2k less (no sales tax) or waiting for 2010 and paying it. IF this goes into effect so soon.

I have a call into the wa. state dept of revenue to find most up-to-date info. This is current as of Feb 09 http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/Pubs/SpecialNotices/2008/sn_08_GreenVehicleExmpt.pdf

but if they are finalizing budget now.......

13. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sales tax exemption for high mileage hybrid vehicles and clean alternative fuel vehicles
    2/20/09

WA - Sales Tax Exemption for Hybrids The Sales Tax Connection
    4/1/09

I talked to a lady at Department of Revenue and she said they've heard the rumors but mostly from concerned people like myself. Nothing has come down through their dept and they get AT LEAST 30 days notice before WE get the 30 days notice. So even if it is true, it would be AT LEAST first week of July before they could enact that.
    She's even heard that instead of taking away the tax exemption, there was actually MORE talk about adding more vehicles to it...in order to keep in line with our current President's administration and their goals for our future.

I know it's nothing more than "he said, she said" but I feel a bit better. I also feel pretty confident being in top 10 of wait list that I will find the car I want BEFORE first week of July.

Also, for those who care, apparently Toyota of TC is 10th out of like 75 dealerships in NW for selling hybrids so even though it might be "smaller" than others, they might get more in since they sell so well.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Washington state sales tax exemption for Prius and other high-mileage cars

After being out of state a few days, I heard that the Democratic Caucus now has a budget. The legislature is supposed to adjourn Sunday, so they have just two days to debate and vote. As of this afternoon, full details had not yet be released. Because the Dems have a large enough majority to pass everything without Republican support, the Reps have been completely locked out of the process. They, and we the public, still don't know the details.

The Dept of Revenue won't know whether or not this is repealed until after the legislature passes it.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Washington state sales tax exemption for Prius and other high-mileage cars

Well, the Legislature passed a budget yesterday. It seems that future 2010 Prius buyers are still safe from the state sales tax -- so far, my quick search finds no indication that the possible repeal is included in this budget, and local news is not mentioning it. But I encourage other readers to search in case I missed something.

The exemption in question is RCW 82.08.813.

The new State Budget is HB1244. More information about this bill is on the state's Bill Finder page.

With the sales tax exemption still in effect through this and next year, I should be able to wait until the initial sales rush is over.

1 person likes this.
  16. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Potential $$ saving options: group buy or referral discount, some dealers quoting $ discount to early lookers, possible Costco auto buyer discount of $200 - $300. Perhaps the best idea thus far to save $ is to avoid getting onto a list for one of the first deliveries but rather hold off for several months. Anyone have any experience/knowledge using BJ's Auto Buying web site?