1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Growing/Going Cheap Or Not?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Susan4ET, May 20, 2018.

1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is not the best financial time for me but my 2015 Prius 3 lease is up middle of June. I would like to get a Gen 4 for the better mpg and have never cared much for the Gen 3 or its exterior color that I have. Things running through my mind are: 1) why do I need a plug-in? 2) why do I need a HUD? 3) why put up with a moonroof? 4) why a Navigation package and not just use Google Maps with the cell phone? and lastly perhaps 5) why a Smart Key System. So as you might guess I've been swinging back and forth trying to make something work and be financially "sound".

Refinancing and keeping what I've got probably makes the best sense even if I hate what I've ended up with.

Next would be the P2. All the Gen 4's have all the major safety driving features I miss not having now. And I will stay away from the stupid moonroof. But can I give up Navigation? And can I give up the Smart Key System?

I guess I'm interested in P2 comments surviving without Navigation or the Smart Key? Thank you.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I suggested to someone else recently - do a PRO/CON list.

Include in it the "heart" issues (colour included) fiscal reasons - my estimate with our high fuel prices are that a Gen 4 will only be $1000 cheaper over 50,000 MILES than a Gen 3. But, if you've got an ideal situation with a PLUG-IN (easy to charge, free electricity at work better still), note that too. Then flip a coin:eek:.

1) why do I need a plug-in? ... Only if you've got easy charging situation, and drive a pattern where you'd make good use of the cheap running a long Electric Mode would give you. Don't forget that PRIUS PRIME only has 4 seats.
    2) why do I need a HUD? ... I really love the HUD. You're coming from a PRIUS so are used to glancing to the middle for speed etc, but I'm used to a conventional dashboard. So I use the HUD all the time rather than glance across to the middle. It may not affect you at all.
    3) why put up with a moonroof? ... I live in the semi-tropics and it would kill the deal if they forced one on me.
    4) why a Navigation package and not just use Google Maps with the cell phone? ... personally, I steered AWAY from built in Navigation. Not sure about PRIUS, but some brands of cars were verrrrrrry expensive to upgrade maps, and in some cases, the maps on Navigation were always well out of date - unlike your Garmin/TomTom. I bought a new TomTom equivalent - cheap one and replace it when the free maps expire.
    5) why a Smart Key System. ... convenience. But, buttons on a FOB still work fine, and if you're happy to put a key in the ignition, that's fine too. In the scheme of things, it's relatively petty.

RCO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would do the most economical thing, and wait until my finances improved.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I started off enthusiastic about just getting a Prius with the HUD...then to my anger discovered the HUD came only with a "Sunroof". So my pros and cons get complicated when I switch around models all the way from the Prime Advanced to the Prius-2.

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're happy with a Gen 3's centre dashboard - the HUD only duplicates that is there - you and go without it. I reckon if you haven't had it, you won't miss it.

RCO likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will you be leasing again or purchasing P2? Most of people tell leasing cost more than purchasing, but if you compare leasing a new vehicle every 3 years to purchasing a new car every 3 years, there aren't much difference in outlays. If your aim is to drive reliable new(er) car with up to date features, leasing makes sense. Of course that is if your driving miles are within leasing limit. Most dealers are willing to work with an end of lease customer to make a deal on a new car lease so that her/his monthly payment do not change and make term without a big up-front payment. More flexible you are on the choice of vehicle, more likely negotiation will work in better financial term. Hove you considered any other vehicle other than Prius?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is the cost of keeping that car? A bird in the hand?

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's not best of financial times for you, why take on higher debit? The Gen 3 to refinance as a purchase will save you in the long run, you have already paid 3 years into your Gen 3.

9. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find myself in much the same financial situation. I hate debt and I hate to take on new debt. If I were to make a choice, I'd finance the three year old car. Now, keep in mind that I got a model 4 with all the options. I didn't want the moon roof either but I wanted everything else. I do hope to wear out the roads with this car. It could very well be my last car.

Aaron Vitolins, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same here, with our 2010. With our low usage, garage stored, 12 volt battery on a charger half the time, it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

MichelleStone and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 2018 Prius Two has the smart key on the driver's door.

The '3 door' smart key is what it lacks. (driver, front passenger, hatch)

My Gen 2 Prius had 3 door and I missed it moving to my 2012 Prius v Three which only had 1 door smart key. I used it as a cargo hauler and wished I could just open the hatch. If you drive alone and use your car as a person hauler, you may not miss it as much as I did. If you always have a passenger or cargo, it is very nice to have the 3 door version.

You can customize quite a lot of door lock features.

Tyfly, Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone know when the Gen 5 Prius might be arriving--2019? Maybe there is an advantage here to leapfrog over the Gen 4? The 2015 was the last year of the Gen 3--right? We've talked about nixing the "sunroof" with the HUD. We've talked about the ivory accents. Another accent I don't like but haven't mentioned is the bluish/greenish trim around the side air vents in the front on only some of the interior trims. I'd like to see a "blander" interior--maybe offer something that doesn't even use blacks or grays or try to be so contrasty/sporty? Would Toyota make the Gen 5 options worse?

#12 Susan4ET, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh - that's what mine is. As a solo person - I don't let the dogs open doors - one door smart key is fine. Occasionally the boot/hatch, but I've got the fob.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2021-2 would be my guess going on previous model cycles? There could be a mid-life-crisis change - ok mid-model - for 2019, it's been talked about, changing some of the styling to make it plainer.

RCO likes this.
  15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 1 1997 - 2003 7 years US did not get it until 2001
    Gen 2 2004 - 2009 5 years
    Gen 3 2010 - 2015 6 years
    Gen 4 2016 - 20?? ? years

I would be surprised before 2021 or after 2022

16. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually Gen 2 was also produced for six years. Aka "The best generation" :)

17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I think I read somewhere that a face lift gen 4 is out next year, with Prime style headlights but retaining the Gen 4 grille, taller daytime running lights and shorter rear lights.

RCO likes this.
  18. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How about a HUD without a "sunroof"? And a blander, less sporty interior, with the ivory bling missing?

RCO likes this.
  19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your guess is as good as ours. You could write to TOYOTA and complain about their model mix. Their product planners, I'm sure, flip a coin to come up with what they offer in various packages.

But the ivory interior is much superior to the gloss black from a practicality point. The black shows dust within minutes of being dusted and always looks dusty, fingerprints etc, the white not at all, still as fresh as 2 years ago with the occasional wipe-over or vacuum.

RCO, Harters and krmcg like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius Two has a matte black console. There is still white on the steering wheel and around the shifter. An applique can cover around the shifter. There are some third party covers for the steering wheel but they are gloss black and I would prefer matte.

Tyfly and RCO like this.