1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Growling/Vibrating noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Karyy, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Karyy

Karyy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! I have a Prius 2006 at 300k.

I started having this loud start up noise a month and a half ago, when Toronto was super cold.

The sound seem like it got louder overtime, it is most heard on the drivers side. I've changed the engine filter, oil, transmission, and water pump recently.

Basically even at speed 30, the sound comes on (after the growling noise at startup - car starts to vibrate a bit). The faster I go, the sound is a bit louder. Sounds like the engine/motor is working hard (like on cruise mode at 110+).

Our oil seems fine, but after the oil change, it somehow splashed into our engine filter area.
    Everytime I drive now, it seems like there isn;t enough power on the wheels (like it's losing air), still growls at start and growls during the drive (sometime its super loud!). At some point, there's a vibration feeling under my feet (driver side), and now when I drive, it sounds like grinding gear noises.
    Only when the engine is in use, it has the loud growling noise. No a/c or heat is on as well.
    Not sure if this is needed information, but i'm using a Gen 3 AMG battery (OEM Toyota), it's super hard to find a GEN 2 battery here.

I've checked the engine filter it seems fine.
    No knocking noises. No warning lights or anything.

I'm really now sure what's going on. It started during the cold season. Thank you!

*Will update with link for audio

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriuChat!!
    To clarify; one day it was fine, and the next it was loud?

Wondering if that catalytic is original, as it could be plugged up. Does the vehicle burn much oil between oil changes?

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It may be that your ICE is working harder due to the traction battery not supplying as much energy as it used to supply. The battery does get somewhat weaker at low temperatures.

JeffD

4. Karyy

Karyy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that is correct. It basically started In the cold and the sound gets worse after highway. If it is the catalytic, how do I check if its loose?

There was only once that the oil was low. But usually we dont lose that much oil between oil changes. It's usually like half an index finger on the dipstick. That once I was low and didnt realize, but the sound didnt come on til like 1 or 2 weeks later.

5. Karyy

Karyy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would the sound continue even after 3 hours of driving? It basically has the growling noise all the time now. Now its like some grinding gear noise. The sound is continuous unless the engine isnt on and I'm at a stop light.

6. Karyy

Karyy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another thing. It happened when I drove on the highway with a 5.0 cubic freezer in the trunk (A 4 hour drive highway). Then it started to have a super loud sound next day.

https://voca.ro/12khndvohprT This is the starting sound of the car.

Now when I go over some small bump, there seems to be something loose underneath, was vibrating underneath.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you have a hole in the exhaust system. Are you certain you still have a catalytic converter?

8. Karyy

Karyy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I just checked if I had the catalytic converter and it is still there. Is there a way to check if I have a hole in the exhaust system without going to the mechanic and a lift?

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd just lay down next to the car with the gas engine running and listen. You should be able localize it that way and then discover if it's an exhaust leak or something loose and vibrating. It might be both.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Muffler rotted out? Take some pictures under there let’s see how rusted it is under there.
    Go on you tube look up
    Prius inspection

It will show you how to put the car in inspection mode then the engine will idle non stop for you to listen to it. When done shut the car off that removes inspection mode.

Put it in that mode and get under the car and you will find the hole.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. Omerfidakhan

Omerfidakhan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hi everone, I have a 2007 prius which makes noise once at around 40 to 50 Km/h coasting. It stops on hard acceleration and is very much noticeable at slightest acceleration. Jacked up the car to replicate the noise. Plz check in video. Trany fluid changed recently, put ATF WS

12. Omerfidakhan

Omerfidakhan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cant it be a bad bearing or CV joint. Anybuddy else having same issue... i wil take a video while driving as well