1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guess what was blocking my driveway this afternoon?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, May 19, 2007.

1. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 18 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]445536[/snapback]</div>
    Is every little vexing problem in your life the fault of Bush? Is there a personality trait of Prius owners that causes them to rail against republicans every time their tooth paste tube leaks? I live across from a grade school and have the same problem, same SUV's. However, I live in a solidly democratic neighborhood and I doubt its neocons driving down from La Jolla to drop off their kids.

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 21 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]446482[/snapback]</div>
    Of course we must not forget the "price problem"... Whether or not we "need" oil from the middle east is not really the matrix. If the price is lower overseas then that is where it will come from anyway, whether we need it or not...

3. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 21 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]446482[/snapback]</div>

That still misses the point that no matter how smug we are in our hybrids about doing our part to reduce oil consumption we still have our snouts in the same trough as the azzhats.

jv <-- we just have smaller snouts.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newts @ May 21 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]446611[/snapback]</div>
    Particularly those here who have 60 mile each way commutes.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newts @ May 21 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]446611[/snapback]</div>
    Sure. But if you're at a picnic table with 10 people and there's only enough food barely for 10 people, wouldn't you be a little annoyed at the fat azzed pompous who hordes 4 servings and steps on other peoples' toes to get those servings and then after he eats craps on your shoes?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ May 21 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]446495[/snapback]</div>
    Bush hasn't affected me at all personally. Doesn't mean I can't disapprove of his policies and those who give him the power to act so irresponsibly.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Sounds like you have 2 cars and can get this situation easy enough on about any given day.

Early in the morning, park car 1 leaving the SUV space to park behind you blocking your driveway.

Park car 2 far enough back the SUV can get into block your driveway.

Once he/she parks and has left the vehicle, go out and back car 1 up to within about 1 inch of their front bumper.

Pull car 2 up to within 1 inch of their back bumper.

Fire up the BBQ, put on some dogs and sit in the front yard waiting to see the show.

If they come up to ask you if you know who owns those cars, you have a variety of responses to choose from.....

I'd start by asking "Are you the one who has my driveway blocked off?" Have that entire conversation before you get around to who owns the other cars blocking them in.

Heck, offer them a beer while they wait for whoever has them blocked to come move their car. Hang out a couple hours, then get up and go pull one of the cars away.

:lol:

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Canada imports ME oil too. I'm unsure, but I think they are about nuetral. That is, the amount of exports to the US is about how much they import.

I like the yellow paint on the driveway idea or the sign. It's non confrontational and would probably work just fine. If someone still does this, then either do the pictures and call the cops or just choose that time to hose off your driveway and spray crap all over their car. Hopefully the window is open a crack too!

8. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May , 01:04 AM)</div>
    But you do need a SUV to tow a boat, or camper, or whatever. Plus, I feel fortunate enough to live in a country where I do not have a bureaucrat living in luxury in DC (where all of them are shuttled around in very large SUV's!) dictating which automobile I must buy.

It wouldn't matter if all cars got 100 MPG. Then oil would most likely come exclusively from the Mideast (surely not from the US). Their labor rates, their environmental standards, etc, are much, much lower than ours. If one gas station sold oil only from the US at a higher price than another station selling oil at a much lower rate because it was foreign, well, guess who would sell the most (if not all) gas??? Can you say Walmart??? So much for Buy American....

Saying that a person who drives an SUV is supplying money for IED's and such is immature at best. Go to any military base and you'll find many soldiers’ drive pickup trucks, SUV's, and regular "Joe" autos. Buying a Prius will not solve our "addiction" to Mideast oil.

Want to see $10 gallon? Then issue an executive order mandating only the use of American oil.

Rick
    #4 2006

9. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to ebay and do a search for "parking meter"... Install wherever you need to... ;)

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ May 21 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]446998[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh, but you're ignoring the flip side of that - It's perfectly reasonable to have a commuter car, something that gets good mileage. If you can afford a boat, camper, or whatever you can probably afford the extra couple of thousand for a 10 year old truck to tow it to and from the dock every weekend... And if you just need to put it in once then dock it, you can most likely find a friend to lend you their truck or SUV for the day, just take them out on it and have a good time.

The argument of "I need a truck because i have a boat" really doesn't fly to well when there are other, better options out there... and trust me, i know a ton of people here who have boats - many of them either have something to tow it with as a second vehicle, or just borrow someones twice a year when the lakes open and close.

11. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would probably slash two or more tires. I would then blame it on neighborhood kids who cause trouble, and thank the nice man for blocking the kids' access to my vehicle.

That is just how I roll though.

Or you could just drive around their vehicle....by driving through their lawn. Make sure you leave tracks, and maybe drive over a flower bush or something.

:D

12. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ May 19 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]445687[/snapback]</div>

I like that idea koa! A motion activated water sprinkle that gets them wet every time! :lol:
    Unless they come over and kick the dickens out of of it!

But just imagine that they had to go inside the school for a short important meeting!
    Or you could trap them in the car when they drove up, and then when they park the car, and there is no motion, then the water stops. Now just pause for a moment, they decide that they can get out of the car and whamo, they get hit with the water and their clothes are all wet!

Very good! :lol: :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 21 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]446736[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good one too, until azzhat decides to call and have said burritos cars towed! I still opt for the motion detected water sprinkler!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Army5339 @ May 22 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]447282[/snapback]</div>
    Naw, you don't wanna do that! He'd get in trouble legally and it's not worth that!
    2 wrongs don't make a right! <_<

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ May 21 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]446998[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't see a boat attached to this suv. It was there to pick up their kid. I don't think you "need" an suv to pick your kid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 22 2007, 11:19 PM) [snapback]447842[/snapback]</div>

14. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 23 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]447842[/snapback]</div>
    Since when does "need" have anything to do with it?

"Need" got its wimpy little nice person kicked by "want" a long, long time ago.

15. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 23 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]447842[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on how porky the kid is... <_<
    Y'all have some diabolically clever solutions...thanks for the grins!

16. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know someone mentioned painting the curb yellow -- is that legal? I mean, the street is public property. Yes, I understand the SUV was blocking the driveway, but are private citizens allowed to paint curbs in front of their home yellow?

burritos - Call the police, every time it happens. Write down the plate number and take a photo if the cop doesn't arrive before the offender leaves. I also second the suggestion of calling the school and letting them know it's an ongoing problem.

Good luck!

17. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are right. You don't even need a car to pickup a child. You could walk. Take a bus. You could take a bike with an extra seat.

And you do not "need" a house to live. You/all of us do not need 99% of the material things we have to live. A little water, air, and minimal nutrition will sustain life. Cavemen did it for tens of thousands of years. Other than dying early agonizing deaths of tooth decay, simple infections, and at the paws of wild animals, and thousands of other simple ailments, they still managed to live for 20 or 30 years on the average.

How about you set up a bureaucracy where anytime anyone intends to buy anything we could have someone in that bureaucracy decide if we really "need" it. We could start with everyone intending to purchase an automobile that weighs over 3,000 lbs. Then with dwellings over 1,200 s/f. Then with computers that have a clock speed of over 1.2 GHz. Then with cuts of beef that cost over $6.00/lb...

It is difficult to say you are far removed from "Big Brother" when one purports to determine or ascertain what another free person "needs". I prefer to make my own choices.

Rick
    #4 2006

18. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A quick glance at California vehicle law seems to suggest you could put up a sign and then have them towed. Obviously, you would want to check this out more thoroughly with your local police before taking such an action.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22500.htm
    22500. No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(e) In front of a public or private driveway, except that a bus engaged as a common carrier, schoolbus, or a taxicab may stop to load or unload passengers when authorized by local authorities pursuant to an ordinance.

In unincorporated territory, where the entrance of a private road or driveway is not delineated by an opening in a curb or by other curb construction, so much of the surface of the ground as is paved, surfaced, or otherwise plainly marked by vehicle use as a private road or driveway entrance, shall constitute a driveway.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22658.htm
    Removal From Private Property
    22658. (a) ( )1 The owner or person in lawful possession of private property, including an association of a common interest development as defined in Section 1351 of the Civil Code, may cause the removal of a vehicle parked on the property to a storage facility that meets the requirements of subdivision (n) under any of the following circumstances:
    (1) There is displayed, in plain view at all entrances to the property, a sign not less than 17 inches by 22 inches in size, with lettering not less than one inch in height, prohibiting public parking and indicating that vehicles will be removed at the owner’s expense, and containing the telephone number of the local traffic law enforcement agency and the name and telephone number of each towing company that is a party to a written general towing authorization agreement with the owner or person in lawful possession of the property. The sign may also indicate that a citation may also be issued for the violation.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've just supported the point that I make here on PC over and over and over again...that deep down, most Americans are *unwilling* to change *anything* about their lifestyles...to the point of actually compromising their beliefs (not to mention, the health of their country) in the process.

Most people would, indeed, rather buy cheap imported plastic crap from the local Wallymart, than support their own country by making a personal sacrifice and spending a bit more on American products.

As for the wifes of GI's driving fuel-sucking SUV's to transport their teeny-tiny kids, while their SO's are over in Iraq fighting and dying for oil...this only makes me shake my head in wonderment.

20. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ May 23 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]448242[/snapback]</div>
    That reminds me, when I was in high school I had a friend that would always bum a ride for lunch, end up going to your house and eat all of your food. One day I tried to get to my car before he could and take off without him, but he made it out there just as I was taking off and I just had to keep going like I didn't see him. He got pretty upset by it, followed me home and blocked the driveway with his truck and sat on the front porch while I ate lunch. He was also threatening my car in the driveway with the garden hose... the neighbor had surveillance cameras running and called the police. Sure enough, just as I was late getting back to school the police came rolling down the street with the red and blue lights flashing. The neighbor invited them in to see the video, then they asked if I wanted to press charges for "house arrest"...